News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Yeah, she's only 72.  Not ready to bury her.

It's hard to describe the relief.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Ziegejunge

Happy to hear it, Dok. My mom turned 80 yesterday and is in great shape for her age. Here's to healthy moms!

Pergamos

Hooray for medical science. I hope she has several more healthy decades

POFP

Fuck yeah! Congrats, Dok!

So, it turns out my compulsive need to understand and resolve every complex technical issue that rolled across my desk, regardless of scope, technical requirements, and whether it took days-weeks of troubleshooting and learning of new programming/scripting languages on the fly, has finally paid off.

I redid my resume, applied to a bunch of places, and then got picked up by a recruiter for an (newer) international company as a Technical Consultant. They're rolling out a new Cloud-based product, and they needed to build a new support team that sits in between Development and the Customer (Not the usual Support Team Tiers 1-3 structure). I'll be doing tons of lab work, and I'll have a million opportunities to learn new skills. Apparently my Technical Enterprise experience over-ruled my complete lack of "Required" formal education.

For once, I feel like I'm finally getting recognition for my effort and skills, instead of the raw numbers that Corporate requires.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PoFP on August 28, 2018, 08:42:27 PM

So, it turns out my compulsive need to understand and resolve every complex technical issue that rolled across my desk, regardless of scope, technical requirements, and whether it took days-weeks of troubleshooting and learning of new programming/scripting languages on the fly, has finally paid off.

I redid my resume, applied to a bunch of places, and then got picked up by a recruiter for an (newer) international company as a Technical Consultant. They're rolling out a new Cloud-based product, and they needed to build a new support team that sits in between Development and the Customer (Not the usual Support Team Tiers 1-3 structure). I'll be doing tons of lab work, and I'll have a million opportunities to learn new skills. Apparently my Technical Enterprise experience over-ruled my complete lack of "Required" formal education.

For once, I feel like I'm finally getting recognition for my effort and skills, instead of the raw numbers that Corporate requires.

This is why you learn all the things.  It's worked out very nicely for me.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Sounds like the kind of shit that might have saved my mom if she were in better condition when they caught it. Happy they got your mom put back together.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 29, 2018, 02:27:12 AM
Sounds like the kind of shit that might have saved my mom if she were in better condition when they caught it. Happy they got your mom put back together.

And sorry to hear about yours.

This is a weird, fairly rare form of breast cancer, and the treatment for it is less than 18 months old.  Before that they just went masectomy, chemo, radiation, more chemo, call the hearse.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 29, 2018, 02:37:35 AM

This is a weird, fairly rare form of breast cancer, and the treatment for it is less than 18 months old.  Before that they just went masectomy, chemo, radiation, more chemo, call the hearse.

Is it weird that the newness makes me feel better?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 29, 2018, 02:45:30 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 29, 2018, 02:37:35 AM

Is it weird that the newness makes me feel better?

Not at all.  Cancels out the horrible "might have beens".
Molon Lube

POFP

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 28, 2018, 08:50:19 PM

Yeah, I figured I was working at a failing company that discouraged learning when they told me that the reason why they couldn't justify paying me more was because "You are supporting the customer at a level that is beyond our team's ability to guarantee if you were to leave in the future. You are raising the expectations of the customer to a point that we can't maintain."

And it seems they predicted the outcome quite accurately, as the team is falling apart (Due to Customer, Supported-Company, and internal company complaints) and I'm not even out the door yet (Put in my two weeks a week and a half ago). The correct response to the situation they foresaw was "Sure, we'll pay you more. Please don't leave. And also, please teach these newhires."

Thinking about it now, I can't believe I was excited to work there 3 years ago.

:lulz:

I ignored most of their rules, of course, and continued learning and improving and taking on responsibilities that were completely out of my scope, creating relationships with Developers, Ops, and the Product Owner, and whoever I needed to to get shit done on the back-end for the Customers.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PoFP on August 29, 2018, 03:07:09 AM

Yeah, I figured I was working at a failing company that discouraged learning when they told me that the reason why they couldn't justify paying me more was because "You are supporting the customer at a level that is beyond our team's ability to guarantee if you were to leave in the future. You are raising the expectations of the customer to a point that we can't maintain."

And it seems they predicted the outcome quite accurately, as the team is falling apart (Due to Customer, Supported-Company, and internal company complaints) and I'm not even out the door yet (Put in my two weeks a week and a half ago). The correct response to the situation they foresaw was "Sure, we'll pay you more. Please don't leave. And also, please teach these newhires."

I ignored most of their rules, of course, and continued learning and improving and taking on responsibilities that were completely out of my scope, creating relationships with Developers, Ops, and the Product Owner, and whoever I needed to to get shit done on the back-end for the Customers.

Jeez, if you were in my field, I'd hire you.

My sole qualification for a prospective employee is "are they willing to take it to THE WALL?"
Molon Lube

POFP

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 29, 2018, 06:01:20 AM
Quote from: PoFP on August 29, 2018, 03:07:09 AM

Jeez, if you were in my field, I'd hire you.

My sole qualification for a prospective employee is "are they willing to take it to THE WALL?"

Thanks! My intended field includes all fields, since my goal is to build a career as a Systems/Business Analyst. A friend of mine's Uncle (Or was it, cousin?) is the CEO of TEP (Tucson Electric Power), and I intended to use that connection some time down the road. That may bring me to Tucson and within your range, eventually. I'll let you know if that scenario becomes a reality.

From what I've seen here, working for you would make my stomach hurt from constant laughter.  :lulz: