News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 27, 2018, 11:14:59 PM
I was just thinking...How many people that lived in the Matrix would be happy if they got rescued by the heroes?

I mean, they'd be trading in a half-decent 21st century existence for a post-nuclear frozen wasteland.

I bet most of them would be really pissed off.

Well, I'm not happy now, so I don't think a drop in living standards would do much to improve my attitude.

I expect I'd be in shock for a bit, which would be followed by a period of fascination (I mean, wasteland or not, it's still a completely new world to learn about).

However, once I'd adapted to the situation, the persons responsible for "rescuing" me might be well advised to watch their backs (assuming that, like Neo, I didn't have the situation explained to me in advance).
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

LMNO

I was just thinking...How many people that lived in the Matrix would be happy if they got rescued by the heroes?

I mean, they'd be trading in a half-decent 21st century existence for a post-nuclear frozen wasteland.

Wasn't that like, a major plot point in the first movie?  Like Cypher decided he didn't care if it was an illusion, he wanted back in, so he sabotaged the mission so Neo can get captured by Smith.

How the fuck do I remember all of that?

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on September 28, 2018, 12:55:29 PM

Wasn't that like, a major plot point in the first movie?  Like Cypher decided he didn't care if it was an illusion, he wanted back in, so he sabotaged the mission so Neo can get captured by Smith.

The first movie was reasonable. The other two were terrible.

But yes, you are correct. Cypher wanted back in because "ignorance is bliss", the real world was more terrifying to him.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

minuspace

Quote from: Suu on September 28, 2018, 02:18:03 PM

But yes, you are correct. Cypher wanted back in because "ignorance is bliss", the real world was more terrifying to him.

I can't tell, but something about this current Justice confirmation hearing thingy makes for a very "red pill" moment.

axod

Quote from: LuciferX on September 29, 2018, 06:14:26 AM
Quote from: Suu on September 28, 2018, 02:18:03 PM

I can't tell, but something about this current Justice confirmation hearing thingy makes for a very "red pill" moment.
Something about decortification (sp?) and the desert of the real.
just this

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Ziegejunge

Doktor Howl

Fuckin' pinealism is getting out of hand around here.  We may have to get Junkenstien to spray the joint.
Molon Lube

hooplala

I assume this happens once every 10 years or so.

We'll have to vacate to Eris' Bar & Grill while the wee beasties are gassed.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on October 01, 2018, 08:23:17 PM
I assume this happens once every 10 years or so.

We'll have to vacate to Eris' Bar & Grill while the wee beasties are gassed.

If it stays up in Principia, I am content to let it fester.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2018, 09:36:47 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on October 01, 2018, 08:23:17 PM
Eris' Bar & Grill 

Yeah, I was trying to think of a suitable reply, but that will do.  I couldn't think of a proper way to depict Charley's inside-out asshole.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I can't even think about that place without being reminded of David Lynch's Dune or maybe that 2nd Highlander movie that never actually happened.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

So I'm reading the bible (KJV) while I'm supposed to be working (leaving the old testament God in a quandary as to whether or not to be pissed off), on account of "bronze age hero stories", and I reached  Ecclesiastes 9: 7-9, which is all kinds of awesome because apparently God is some kind of Morrissey freak.  I say Morrissey instead of Robert Smith because Robert Smith didn't do irony and that little shitweasel Morrissey is nothing BUT irony.

Anyway:

"Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart... Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you... all your meaningless days."

Thanks a lot, God. 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Oh, also this bit:

"The wise man has eyes in his head while the fool walks in darkness; but the same fate overtakes them both."
- Ecclesiastes 2:14

So it's okay to be a DUMBASS.

ETA:  in between, around 7:14, God turns into some kind of Zen freak.
Molon Lube