News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by trix, November 08, 2017, 10:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I'm not really concerned about government over reach but there are examples of it occuring more and more frequently, my fear is the curated feeds allows for very specific narratives to be sent to a broad range of people, tailored against their profile. It's already being used to make people susceptable to buying specific kinds of products but it could very easily be hijacked for a method of widespread social control.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

trix

My fear is that Donald Trump is in charge of the United States.  Beyond that, almost everywhere dangerous, often exceptionally stupid and short-sighted assholes are in charge. The potential power in the hands of these dangerous assholes seems to be increasing exponentially.

Those in charge are ever the wrong sort to be in charge.

What gets my goat is we have an entire field of study dedicated to solving complex problems, full of highly trained extremely intelligent people with a high level of talent at solving complex problems.  We call them engineers.  But instead of giving them the power to solve the complex problems of government and managing people, we task them to build nukes and $600 robotic auto-cleaning cat litter boxes.  We give the role of governing our big nations to idiots with skill-sets that include reading speeches from a teleprompter and out-yelling the other guy, etc, and normally have very little problem-solving abilities or even the ability to use rational thinking.

Then again, given enough time and free reign, and these idiots will solve all of our problems, permanently.

But now I'm off topic.

Windows 10 is AIDS.  Don't do AIDS.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Frontside Back

Been trying to make a habit out of messing with the AI. I actually managed to get my facebook ads in spanish by posting for a while though google translate. If everybody did this we could hurt its ability to get meaningful data out of people. Maybe implementing a bot to google random sentences while you are afk to drown the actual user input in noise or similar tactics could be used.

Oh well, I can't get general public behind this anyway, so AI will grow big and strong and soon control us all. Hope it won't find this message.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I think Winaero Tweaker can kill windows telemetry
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: trix on November 08, 2017, 03:28:10 PM
In further news:

A lawsuit over an unwanted Windows 10 upgrade just cost Microsoft $10,000
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3088...ows-10-upgrade-just-cost-microsoft-10000.html

Microsoft backs off sneaky Windows 10 upgrade tricks with simple new pop-up
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3089...10-upgrade-tricks-with-simple-new-pop-up.html

Oh and did I mention they've implemented some of their spyware bullshit into Windows 7 and 8 now, using the Updates?  Yup.   Not all of it, since the Win7 and Win8 EULA isn't quite as horrifying as Win10, but as much as they could get away with.

This is why I keep windows update turned off. People keep telling me that that leaves me vulnerable to viruses but I personally feel that if the update itself is going to steal my personal information and/or stop my computer from working it kind of defeats the purpose

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

THE QLIPHITISER

So they watch us masturbating?  :eek:  :lol:  :fap:  :lulz:
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

axod

You have nothing to hide!
just this

THE QLIPHITISER

Quote from: axod on December 22, 2017, 12:02:46 PM
You have nothing to hide!

May as well give those perverts at Windows a show to remember!  :lol: :lol:  :horrormirth:
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Anna Mae Bollocks

I heard the Win10 updates can kill Classic Shell. And Classic Shell won't be making any new versions with fixes for that.
So, I have some kind of error going on - Windows TRIES to update, and I get an error message with some kind of number string that I'm supposed to contact Windows with.
So far, I haven't.

Not as good as giving them a show to remember, but it's good when you can keep them from fucking your shit up, even a little bit.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

THE QLIPHITISER

I've been getting so many update notifications lately that I've stopped doing it.....in fact.....I'm gonna be changing to another operating system soon.

Windows, as always....can suck dick, I'm not putting up with it for much longer, that's for sure.

Still, is it wrong that I find it amusing rather than scary, that they watch me while I jerk off?  :fap:  :lulz:

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 27, 2017, 05:51:26 AM
I heard the Win10 updates can kill Classic Shell. And Classic Shell won't be making any new versions with fixes for that.

Which really puts the lie to the people who claim that disabling updates may harm your computer.

I'll roll those dice given that leaving updates on will definitely harm my computer.

(BTW, is there any way to delete the update service entirely?)

POFP

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 27, 2017, 08:29:31 PM

From what I've found in previous research, no. I'm sure there is a way, but it'll likely take hours to figure out, and I don't exactly have Windows 10 at my disposal here at work. It looks like there may be some ways to disable it if you're using Windows 10 Professional or higher. But beyond that, it looks like you might be looking at isolating the updating software on your own, and either removing the files manually and any pointers to them in the Registry, or deleting any trace of them using a separately booted OS to bypass embedded Windows Security measures that might run at boot time or with the OS.

Since they were so dedicated to the idea of maintaining forced Updates at all times, I suspect the Automatic update software is broken into multiple system files/processes that are connected to other necessary System Apps, or it is simply embedded in a specific, necessary system file/process. I also suspect that in order to remove the Automatic Updates permanently, you would need to 1.) Circumvent OS File checks at startup so that you can 2.) Patch the file(s) the update software is embedded into (like maybe inserting a simple JUMP over the update code).

I've got a computer that can run Windows 10, and I did consider taking a look at it for the sole purpose of removing the update software permanently. If/when I do end up installing Windows 10 on it, I'll let you know what I find. Unless of course you find a way to remove it first. I feel like someone's been able to remove it by now.

I'm sure you could find something if you Googled long enough. Because when it comes to application security, it's almost never about "Can we break it?" It's about "When will it be broken?"

EDIT: It appears that they've found a few workarounds after a quick Google Search.
This Certified Popeā„¢ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: PoFP on December 27, 2017, 10:00:05 PM

From what I've found in previous research, no. I'm sure there is a way, but it'll likely take hours to figure out, and I don't exactly have Windows 10 at my disposal here at work. It looks like there may be some ways to disable it if you're using Windows 10 Professional or higher. But beyond that, it looks like you might be looking at isolating the updating software on your own, and either removing the files manually

This is precisely what I'm talking about. Does anybody know the specific files so I can delete them?

Anna Mae Bollocks

Which really puts the lie to the people who claim that disabling updates may harm your computer.

I'll roll those dice given that leaving updates on will definitely harm my computer.

I don't think it's even a dice roll.
I turned updates completely off when I had Windows 8, for several years. People were telling me it was a bad idea, but nothing happened.
What finally made me have to buy a new laptop was a typical HP cheap plastic issue: the plastic under the display hinge developed a crack, and eventually broke away. And it took some things on the circuit board with it.

PoFP - thanks. I probably won't be techy enough to pull it off, but in my case it's OK. Because all my "updates" do is make me click "Hide" on an error message screen.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

So, I have some kind of error going on - Windows TRIES to update, and I get an error message with some kind of number string that I'm supposed to contact Windows with.
So far, I haven't.

Not as good as giving them a show to remember, but it's good when you can keep them from fucking your shit up, even a little bit.

That update finally roofied my computer.  It's basically a way to let microsoft look at your Android phone, if you have one.

Good ahead and look, dumbass.  There's nothing but horror in the DCIM folder.
Molon Lube