News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by trix, November 08, 2017, 10:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

i can't wait for the day that i get paid cash money every time my phone spyware hears me recommend soylent* to my friends in real life

*or coke or WD40 or whatever my phone tells me my friend is thinking about buying
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Pergamos

I use windows 10 because I mostly use my computer for playing games and windows, specifically the latest edition, is generally the best for games.  It bothered me today because last ight I told it to update and shut down,  I turned it on this morning to discover that it had to spend an hour updating.  Why it did not do this before it shut down for the night I do not know.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on December 31, 2017, 07:39:27 PM
I use windows 10 because I mostly use my computer for playing games and windows, specifically the latest edition, is generally the best for games.  It bothered me today because last ight I told it to update and shut down,  I turned it on this morning to discover that it had to spend an hour updating.  Why it did not do this before it shut down for the night I do not know.

The updates usually require you to turn the machine back on.  So update in the evening, and turn the machine back on before you go to bed.  In the morning, it will be done and all the new embedded ads and spyware will be properly in place.
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Ok, so now I've disabled not only windows update but also update orchestrator and changed them both to log in as "guest" and also deleted all windows update and update orchestrator related tasks in the task scheduler. Hopefully this will keep the damn thing off
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

It keeps reenabling itself.

Does anybody know what ports it connects over? Maybe I can block it with a third party firewall.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

tyrannosaurus vex

It's sort of funny, everyone doing everything they can to kill off Windows Update, and at work all day I've been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get the damn thing to work. I've got 150 endpoints that absolutely *refuse* to update, or at least to install the updates I want them to install.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I wonder if an exorcism would help

POFP

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 11, 2018, 01:10:07 AM
It keeps reenabling itself.

Does anybody know what ports it connects over? Maybe I can block it with a third party firewall.

I'd check this out. Probably won't be able to block it by firewall, since it's over HTTP and HTTPS.

You could probably set up a system proxy script for IE that routes all traffic to the Windows Update Servers listed in the link straight to 127.0.0.1 or some equally useless IP/Host. If you wanna use a local proxy script for that, you'll have to enable IE Legacy Features (Warning, may introduce one or two very old and outdated vulnerabilities that no one ever uses anymore) with the below command:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v EnableLegacyAutoProxyFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Proxy Script language is pretty easy if I remember correctly, too. Based off of another one that's really common, but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on January 11, 2018, 03:00:15 AM
It's sort of funny, everyone doing everything they can to kill off Windows Update, and at work all day I've been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get the damn thing to work. I've got 150 endpoints that absolutely *refuse* to update, or at least to install the updates I want them to install.

I would say the above may be relevant to you as well, but I suspect you've probably already tried everything firewall related.

You pushing these updates via SCCM and Active Directory or with a combination of WSUS and SCCM?
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Cain

I have good news from technical support about your problem!

POFP

This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

trix

I can't wrap my head around why some folks think going to this insane effort to disable large portions of the built-in spyware and crap, which is unlikely to actually work, is better than simply avoiding this shitshow of an operating system?

I mean if your job specifically requires Windows 10 that's one thing, but if you have a choice, and dislike the crap enough to go to all that trouble, there's a really really easy way to avoid it altogether.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Faust

It depends on what you are using your machine for. Gaming still hasn't got the support they should on Linux. But for the average person using a laptop to browse the net and write documents it should be encouraged more. Hardware DLLs for my hobbiest stuff are poorly supported also. At work I use windows 10 primarily for visual studio, and a Kali Linux build for network tests, though I am sure I am not using that right.

Then there's mac, with the worst of both worlds; restrictive OS that doesn't support a lot of stuff, with the tentacles of a massive company looking to suck out your data.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

The only thing I will say in favour of Windows 10 is that when members of the Skyrim modding community reached out to them, over something that was putting an artificial cap on available VRAM on Windows 10 machines, they actually listened to the problem, rolled out a fix, included the fix in a bunch of beta updates before general release so they could get feedback on how it worked, fixed an issue with the original patch and then released it sometime last year.  They were super-communicative throughout the process and seemed genuinely interested in being able to help.

Not a big fan of MS, especially after they pushed me to upgrade against my will, but that won them back a little goodwill from me.  Not a lot, but a little.

Now if the rest of MS actually listened to consumer concerns like that, they might actually get people's respect.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I know I said yoink a long time ago but here's a thing

axod

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 28, 2018, 02:20:26 AM
I know I said yoink a long time ago but here's a thing
Takeaway: everyone reading this should open an exit node, and, only boot virtual on non state-sponsored OSs. The latter condition currently precludes tor, so. :horrormirth:
just this