News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

2x3+(2-3)=????

Started by Frontside Back, November 09, 2017, 02:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frontside Back

It came to my mind that the Rule of Fives is actually pretty handy tool keeping your math senses intact in the age of pocket calculators. Will be teaching it to my children if I'm allowed to get within shouting distance of them.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

POFP

If they know one side of the equation is always the same (5), how does it improve math skills?

Based on other things you've posted on here, it sounds like you've ordered the whole menu, and taken it to-go. And what I mean by that is, you seem to be reading Discordian texts (Which have a universal disclaimer written in the Principia Discordia for them, and I've included that disclaimer below), taking everything the texts say, literally, and not picking through them to find the meaning in the salad.

Disclaimer: "...Wipe thine ass with what is written and grin like a ninny at what is Spoken..."

That being said, you seem like a decent person (Which seems to be a hard thing to come by these days). And if I'm being honest, I feel like most of us, especially me, have all ordered the menu like this at one point. I'd just like to point out that while that stuff is quite funny and unique in the beginning, it starts to get old. Many of us have been here quite a while, and have seen all of this stuff, and picked it apart a million times over.

I've found that the best way to use this place to your advantage, and the best way to contribute and help other people who are here, is to read what people say about various current topics (And you should take a look at some old stuff too. There's hundreds of golden threads lying around that are still applicable, today.), do some research on your own, read some more by people on here, digest both sources, and bring your analyses to this board in the form of a discussion thread. Some people here are at the tops of their respective fields, and are excellent sources of information of all kinds - information you may not expect. The creative types use this board as a repository for revolutionary art and literature that should be discussed and taught in schools for generations. There's a whole lot to take from this board and offer to it if you put in the work. I've learned more from this board about the way the world works than Public school has ever taught me.

That being said, we can be pretty goofy at times, and we definitely encourage that. Just not in the whole "FNORD FNORD FNORD" kind of way.

I just wanted to give you some helpful advice that some good people gave me early on (And I still managed to be a complete tard on occasion, which is acceptable if you're willing to own up to it).

You should stick around. You seem to have a positive attitude, which is starting to run low in these parts.

Oh yeah, and in case you hadn't looked into the Law of Fives on a conceptual level, it is a mockery of Confirmation Bias. Teaching the Law of Fives would likely encourage Confirmation Bias, while teaching the joke behind it would prevent it.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Frontside Back

Love your advice, sort of the vibe I was getting already from this place.

After long being an internet mute, I don't really care about what I post or the reception, and especially on these forums it feels natural for me to take the "Beakless Woodhack"-tactic. The texts I read here and in the books are reminding me of the ones I was doing before the educational system "encouraged" me to take more approachable writing style. Which is when I buried my dreams of becoming a writer and forgot all my book ideas, 'cause I was pretty easy to manipulate as a child looking for approval.

I don't view myself taking the Principia literally (apart from maybe toying with the idea), as it's a religious text after all. That being said, most of the deeper meanings I encountered while reading it seemed blatantly obvious, so it's very likely I'm terribly mistaken.

On the topic, I'd argue knowing one side of the equation leaves you still with half the puzzle. Coming up with the number 5 at the end in a cleanest way possible is actually pretty hard math problem when all you have is some random numbers from a barcode. Law of fives is an exaggerated version of confirmation bias, which forces you to do some pretty twisted up shit to keep the illusion up. It wouldn't take too long for a child to notice they could do same thing with every number. And that's enlightenment.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PoFP on November 11, 2017, 03:47:03 AM

You should stick around. You seem to have a positive attitude, which is starting to run low in these parts.

WTF?  This place has always been a bastion of bitter, vengeful asshats.  I have been here since the beginning, and I know *I* hate all of you.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Nonsense.  You are a pretty princess, bestowing gifts of light and joy in every post you make.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on November 13, 2017, 12:55:10 PM
Nonsense.  You are a pretty princess, bestowing gifts of light and joy in every post you make.

It's like I shit glitter or something, really.
Molon Lube

POFP

Quote from: Frontside Back on November 11, 2017, 06:56:48 PM
After long being an internet mute, I don't really care about what I post or the reception, and especially on these forums it feels natural for me to take the "Beakless Woodhack"-tactic. The texts I read here and in the books are reminding me of the ones I was doing before the educational system "encouraged" me to take more approachable writing style. Which is when I buried my dreams of becoming a writer and forgot all my book ideas, 'cause I was pretty easy to manipulate as a child looking for approval.

I don't view myself taking the Principia literally (apart from maybe toying with the idea), as it's a religious text after all. That being said, most of the deeper meanings I encountered while reading it seemed blatantly obvious, so it's very likely I'm terribly mistaken.

Hey, in that case, keep at it. I relate with this completely. I have also had trouble with my creative side recently, and it is quite likely because I was pushed into a more concise and less analogous writing style by peers IRL, as well as by members of this site. But I felt that, due to difficulties in maintaining both writing styles, I had to choose the one that would benefit me the most for now, and focus on the other later in life.

And I felt the same about the PD at first as well, and I soon realized I had close, but false understandings. But for the most part, that stuff was usually resolved with age and exposure. Time is the greatest teacher, in this respect.

Quote from: Frontside Back on November 11, 2017, 06:56:48 PM
On the topic, I'd argue knowing one side of the equation leaves you still with half the puzzle. Coming up with the number 5 at the end in a cleanest way possible is actually pretty hard math problem when all you have is some random numbers from a barcode. Law of fives is an exaggerated version of confirmation bias, which forces you to do some pretty twisted up shit to keep the illusion up. It wouldn't take too long for a child to notice they could do same thing with every number. And that's enlightenment.

I never really thought of it that way. I see your point, and retract my previous assumptions. Consider me enlightened. :)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 12, 2017, 11:05:57 PM
Quote from: PoFP on November 11, 2017, 03:47:03 AM

WTF?  This place has always been a bastion of bitter, vengeful asshats.  I have been here since the beginning, and I know *I* hate all of you.

I think there was a misunderstanding. Most of what I type is translated from English, to Catalan, to Portuguese, and then back into English, using unpaid toddlers in sweat-shop conditions. One of them probably fell asleep again.

I apologize, it won't happen again.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Frontside Back

I'm just a sentient webcrawler, but with all this hatred going around only sensible solution I see is to have a fight 'till death. Between everybody. It should take long enough to convince the rest of the population that this is actually a good idea so there's a plenty of time to train so you'll have a decent chance to come out on top.

POFP

Quote from: Frontside Back on November 16, 2017, 02:43:54 AM
I'm just a sentient webcrawler, but with all this hatred going around only sensible solution I see is to have a fight 'till death. Between everybody. It should take long enough to convince the rest of the population that this is actually a good idea so there's a plenty of time to train so you'll have a decent chance to come out on top.

Now you're talking our language!  :angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:

Cain

Pffft, training.

I have a year's supply of Super Male Vitality Pills, and I'm going to take them all at once.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on November 16, 2017, 05:12:47 PM

Pffft, training.

I have a year's supply of Super Male Vitality Pills, and I'm going to take them all at once.

And that is how he became Brocain - the World's Most Alpha Superhero
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

I'm just gonna party in the ruins until someone eats me, if it's all the same to you.
Molon Lube

Frontside Back

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 17, 2017, 11:37:31 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 16, 2017, 05:12:47 PM

Pffft, training.

And that is how he became Brocain - the World's Most Alpha Superhero

Legend says he has so much testosterone that the ladies he urinates on will grow above average sized male genitalia.

Cain

Just like those frogs Jones is always on about.

Maybe I'm better off just sticking with The DMT.

POFP

:spittake:

I couldn't read the rest of the thread until I sat my drink down.