The Compleat Billy Chronicles (thanks to Zenpatista)

Started by Doktor Howl, November 15, 2017, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 24, 2021, 04:37:51 PM
Quote from: Faust on August 24, 2021, 11:33:27 AM
If a system was needed to give an escape mechanism for the rich and powerful this absolutely has  already been implemented, the trick would be figuring out where its been used

The best you could do is look for missing footage.  Even that could be jimmied.

But here's another idea:  Have one person appear to be in multiple places at the same time.  Or have one guy show up on video where he isn't, and not where he is.  If you need to set someone up.

this seems like it would be easier to pull off.  could also just establish an alibi - not necessarily set someone up.

"Sir, our cameras place you at the active crime scene"

"yeah, so?  your cameras also place me at costco at the same time."
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on August 24, 2021, 07:51:52 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 24, 2021, 04:37:51 PM
Quote from: Faust on August 24, 2021, 11:33:27 AM
If a system was needed to give an escape mechanism for the rich and powerful this absolutely has  already been implemented, the trick would be figuring out where its been used

The best you could do is look for missing footage.  Even that could be jimmied.

But here's another idea:  Have one person appear to be in multiple places at the same time.  Or have one guy show up on video where he isn't, and not where he is.  If you need to set someone up.

this seems like it would be easier to pull off.  could also just establish an alibi - not necessarily set someone up.

"Sir, our cameras place you at the active crime scene"

"yeah, so?  your cameras also place me at costco at the same time."

"I was at Costco when that happened."

"Not according to the security cameras you weren't."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

The Science is over.  Well, this type, anyway.

It looks like I have a job literally across the street, only now I have to try to make things better.  :crankey:
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

Wait, please don't tell me you won't be updating this? It's the single goddamn reason I come here.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on September 26, 2021, 09:11:52 PM
Wait, please don't tell me you won't be updating this? It's the single goddamn reason I come here.

Oh, I will be.  I have about 5 pages to write about this place, once things settle a bit.

Then it will be the next place.
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

Oh great, got my blood pressure up there, Howl, you know I need my fix.

Doktor Howl

The Science has come to an end.  The piranha that are the owners have in fact gained control over the company despite every legal dodge - let's face it, legal fiction - we could fabricate, and they are in a feeding frenzy of asset-stripping.

I have accepted a new job, but not in the field of DEFF ROBOTS, which saddens me.  No, I am going back to urbanism which in fact makes things BETTER for stupid humans, and prevents them from learning from their mistakes.  In short, I am now in the business of cleaning up messes left by people...by people like me, to be perfectly frank.  It's still SCIENCE, but instead of being a James Bond villain, I am now essentially the garbage man for horrible & faceless corporations.

I find it difficult to express my rage at this turn of events.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 12, 2021, 03:33:17 PM
Hate always finds a way.

Does the dissolution of the company release you from any NDAs that have heretofore prevented you from discussing the sordid details of said DEFF ROBOTS?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Faust

A zookeeper who finds out that the animals are going to be killed would release them to fend for themselves

Do whats morally right
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 13, 2021, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 12, 2021, 03:33:17 PM
Hate always finds a way.

Does the dissolution of the company release you from any NDAs that have heretofore prevented you from discussing the sordid details of said DEFF ROBOTS?

No, because the tech belongs to our clients, and each client had each of us also sign an NDA.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on October 13, 2021, 05:21:52 PM
A zookeeper who finds out that the animals are going to be killed would release them to fend for themselves

Do whats morally right

DRONE APOCALYPSE:  TUCSON   :lulz:
Molon Lube

The Commander

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 13, 2021, 10:47:24 PM
Quote from: Faust on October 13, 2021, 05:21:52 PM

Do whats morally right

DRONE APOCALYPSE:  TUCSON   :lulz:

You keep making Tuscon more and more appealing.

I might have to retire there.

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

Doktor Howl

So I quit.  My last day is Friday.  Monday is the first day at the new gig, which is urbanism again, this time dealing with pollution (metals for the most part).

A week ago today, my current company got hit with ransomware.  I swear, the fucking place is cursed.

There are no funny conversations about this, but there IS this:  2 years ago, we screamed at the boss for an offline backup for our systems.  He said "no" because it cost $15K.

We lost that much in less than an hour last week, and the system is still down.  The other managers do not understand one time pad encryption, and they have our IT guys bashing their brains out against the wall.

This is obviously all normal.
Molon Lube

Faust

That's an awful feeling to leave on, and that penny pinching proper backups and redundancy isn't a once off, it's what the makers of the ransomeware rely on.
It's not just code that targets vulnerable systems, its code that targets vulnerable business process.

At least that's someone else's problem nos
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on October 28, 2021, 12:23:50 AM
That's an awful feeling to leave on, and that penny pinching proper backups and redundancy isn't a once off, it's what the makers of the ransomeware rely on.
It's not just code that targets vulnerable systems, its code that targets vulnerable business process.

At least that's someone else's problem nos

1.  You underestimate my capacity for schadenfreude and "I told you so."

2.  Yes, this place's business process was fucking potato before the old man died, and it hasn't gotten any better since.

3.  Very yes.
Molon Lube