The Compleat Billy Chronicles (thanks to Zenpatista)

Started by Doktor Howl, November 15, 2017, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

The Hickman Principle:  "During a start up or expansion, the sucker believes that the last man at the table wins.  Always eat first."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Howl's Second Law of Venture Capitalism:  "The depth of the pockets of your investors - not their actual investment - is inversely proportional to the amount of control the owner of the company retains."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

These laws are based on my observation of the woobie that is buying our facility for the purpose of growing pot.  She is in way over her head, the sharks are circling, and she is just now beginning to look worried.  It's far too late for that.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Howl's Third Law of Venture Capitalism:  If possible, always issue venture capitalists common stock, even if it means giving up votes.  Giving them preferred stock ensures that they eat first at the expense of everything else.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 27, 2019, 05:46:15 PM
These laws are based on my observation of the woobie that is buying our facility for the purpose of growing pot.  She is in way over her head, the sharks are circling, and she is just now beginning to look worried.  It's far too late for that.
Everybody wants to get in on the ground floor, but hardly anyone bothers to check the elevator inspection certificate.

Or the "recalibration-due-by" date on the gas pump, for that matter.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on December 27, 2019, 07:47:24 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 27, 2019, 05:46:15 PM
Everybody wants to get in on the ground floor, but hardly anyone bothers to check the elevator inspection certificate.

Or the "recalibration-due-by" date on the gas pump, for that matter.

Well, yeah.

But in this case, it is a sad case of someone who didn't educate herself enough to even understand the business model of her investors.

Step 1:  Invest in 10 companies.  9 will fail, one will cover your investments and deliver a profit, AND
Step 2:  Set all 10 up to be cannibalized, so that you shrink your exposure and maximize your profits on the one that DOES deliver.

Goal:  20+% profit over 24 months.

"These people are not your partners."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Today, at work:

Me:  "Norton, you can judge your clout by the angle of your monitor to your office door."

Norton:  "Okay..."

Me:  "It's absolutely true.  If your monitor is facing your door, you are a pleb.  If your monitor is perpendicular to your door, you are somewhere in the middle.  If your monitor faces directly away from your door, you are the general manager."

Norton:  "I don't have a door."

Me:  "You're new."

Norton:  "I don't have an office."

Me:  "You're an engineer."

Norton:  "My desk is in a hallway."

Me:  "You're a new engineer."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

(It bears mentioning that he's not an engineer.)
Molon Lube

Faust

When he gets more clout he can go back to not being an engineer
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on January 03, 2020, 10:17:54 PM
When he gets more clout he can go back to not being an engineer

Yes.  That will take a while.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 03, 2020, 08:27:18 PM
If your monitor is facing your door, you are a pleb.  If your monitor is perpendicular to your door, you are somewhere in the middle.  If your monitor faces directly away from your door, you are the general manager.

Fact.
The big fish can fuck off online openly, while the little fish must be stealthy.
There's people at my job who dropped $400 on smartwatches just to get fucked up internet.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bruno

Quote from: kiss my axe on January 03, 2020, 11:25:28 PM
If your monitor is facing your door, you are a pleb.  If your monitor is perpendicular to your door, you are somewhere in the middle.  If your monitor faces directly away from your door, you are the general manager.

Fact.
The big fish can fuck off online openly, while the little fish must be stealthy.
There's people at my job who dropped $400 on smartwatches just to get fucked up internet.

My job will compensate us up to $300 per year for "Fitness equipment" if we take the health assessment (blood test and questionaire(I lied about my mental health, tee hee)) and apparently "fitness equipment" includes an apple i-watch since it includes a heart-rate monitor, so it's basically a $300 fitbit, with internets.

My dumb ass bought a $400 home gym, and now I have to get rid of my couch to make room for it.
Formerly something else...

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Bruno on January 04, 2020, 08:29:52 AM

Fact.

My job will compensate us up to $300 per year for "Fitness equipment" if we take the health assessment (blood test and questionaire(I lied about my mental health, tee hee)) and apparently "fitness equipment" includes an apple i-watch since it includes a heart-rate monitor, so it's basically a $300 fitbit, with internets.

My dumb ass bought a $400 home gym, and now I have to get rid of my couch to make room for it.

Or you could just flip the home gym. With decent benefits like that, I'm guessing they'd pay for a membership somewhere?

Hey, where is Dok?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: kiss my axe on January 05, 2020, 07:42:32 PM
Quote from: Bruno on January 04, 2020, 08:29:52 AM

Fact.

Or you could just flip the home gym. With decent benefits like that, I'm guessing they'd pay for a membership somewhere?

Hey, where is Dok?

I've been binge-watching the entirely of Star Trek Discovery.
Molon Lube

Cain