News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

The Compleat Billy Chronicles (thanks to Zenpatista)

Started by Doktor Howl, November 15, 2017, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Quote from: Faust on May 06, 2020, 09:59:27 AM
Quote from: Bruno on May 03, 2020, 02:13:36 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 02, 2020, 09:27:31 PM
Quote from: Bruno on May 02, 2020, 08:31:23 AM
I thought about building something like that once. I've played with SimpleCV for Python controlling stepper motors, and I don't think it would be too difficult to put together a "shoot anything that moves" or even a "shoot anything orange that moves" program, and train it to shoot clay targets.

But then I decided that anything involving having any non-human actuator pulling a trigger would be at least one felony, so I decided to stop thinking about it.

Anything that moves is easy.

That one thing moving that looks like those other things moving, that's hard.

Yeah, that thing you're working on is orders of magnitude more sophisticated than the thing I gave up on after thinking about it for 30 minutes.

The SimpleCV project I was working on was a smartphone testing robot made from salvaged parts from an old scanner and a printer. Mechanically it worked well enough, but the CV part was unstable. I would give it a sample image to find in the webcam image, and it either couldn't find it, or would find it, but it also found several more instances of that image that were not in any way there. After some tweaking, I could get it to just find the one that was there, I'd move on to the next step, and by the time I had that code ready to test, the last thing had stopped working again for some reason. Only thing I could think of that could be causing that was the webcam driver trying too hard to make the image visually pleasing to human eyes, adjusting color balance, focus, contrast... all that jazz.

It could dial the fuck outa that phone, tho. DOOT! DOOT! DOOT! DOOT! DOOT!

With open CV for that we used K-Means Clustering to track the object in the shot and would need a few reads to come back positive and a learning system for person detection. We had an advantage though, we were tracking firefighters through burning buildings so they were all dressed in very similar gear making the learning easier. There are some standard libs now for person detection using things like proportions of the body as criteria and face detection but I haven't tried those. That was a fun project.

SimpleCV did have built-in face detection, which worked pretty well. I used a face that I cut out of a magazine to track the position of the robot finger on the phone tester robot. Also, I guess I could build a face shooting robot. That might be nice to have.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Frontside Back on May 06, 2020, 10:37:18 AM
Wouldn't the pragmatic approach be giving your soldiers beacons saying "don't kill me", and shooting everything else that moves.

Only without the "my soldiers" bit.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Today I spent the day in the carbon cave.  Among other things, I blasted the entire discography of NWA, as I have never listened to all of it before.

They had some really interesting and important things to say, but then I realized they weren't talking to *me*.

I want to talk to the manager of Compton.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

At work today:  "Why is there a chem light on my lunchbox?"

Kyle:  *stares*

Me:  "Do I look like the kind of person that would put chem light juice in my mouth or something?"

Kyle:  *stares at me*

Me:  *stares at chemlight*

*10 minutes later, Norton walks in*

Norton:  "Why is Hamish's mouth glowing?"
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 21, 2020, 12:16:10 AM
Today I spent the day in the carbon cave.  Among other things, I blasted the entire discography of NWA, as I have never listened to all of it before.

They had some really interesting and important things to say, but then I realized they weren't talking to *me*.

I want to talk to the manager of Compton.

I've been blasting motown and allowing longer breaks for enthusiasm and participation. Half a dozen ex squaddies screaming "baby love" is a thing of beauty.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

In the conference room:

David:  "...and that's why we need someone up to speed to be a liaison with this 'space force' whatever.  So who's it gonna be?"

Me: "Who here knows how to fly?"

*everyone except Norton raises their hands*

Norton:  "Wat"

Me:  "Go forth bravely, young liaison."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Today

Norton:  "I have no idea what is even happening in this country."

Me:  "That's easy.  We banned end zone dancing."

Norton:  "What?  Like in football?"

Me:  "You know any other end zone dancing?  Because I'm interested."

Norton:  "What does end zone dancing have to do with America?"

Me:  "Easy.  They banned it.  America demands that you WIN at ANY cost, but then forbids you to talk smack about it.  So what's the POINT?"

Norton:  "..."

Me:  "Hey, you asked."
Molon Lube

Cain

Sometimes you just gotta talk smack about people. If you don't, you will eventually explode.

Ari

I spent most of my day reading, ALL of this.
What a ride! Thank you.

"This is all normal."

パンクビッチ

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ari Atari on June 11, 2020, 04:38:59 PM
I spent most of my day reading, ALL of this.
What a ride! Thank you.

"This is all normal."

It IS all normal.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

What is also all normal is that today I found out, with multiple witnesses, that Kyle has been sexually harassing our janitor.

Kyle has decided to pursue other opportunities.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 11, 2020, 07:09:07 PM
What is also all normal is that today I found out, with multiple witnesses, that Kyle has been sexually harassing our janitor.

Was his decision "aided" by anyone else or did he make it of his own free will? Just curious.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on June 11, 2020, 07:14:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 11, 2020, 07:09:07 PM

Was his decision "aided" by anyone else or did he make it of his own free will? Just curious.

He was launched.   By me.  HR was told immediately after the fact and did not have any problems with it.  There is audiotape of his bullshit.  We are at zero risk from lawsuits, and in fact if I had been enough of a monster to NOT fire him, she (the janitor) could have sued us.

The really fucking nasty part was that the person who recorded him talking shit managed to catch the phrase "I can get away with jokes, she doesn't speak English."

Well, fuck you too, pal.  Take your jokes somewhere else.

What a fucking disappointment.
Molon Lube

altered

I am very glad he didn't get a chance to make the decision himself.

I can only assume he will not be missed.

EDIT: magical fucking line breaks.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Junkenstein

Having gone, is he open to any sort of civil proceedings? This seems like a teachable moment.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.