News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

The Compleat Billy Chronicles (thanks to Zenpatista)

Started by Doktor Howl, November 15, 2017, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Today:

Me:  "If I have my way, our jobs will soon be non-local."

John:  "Like working remote?"

Me:  "No, like 'non-local'."

John:  "ooooh noooooooo you didn't."

Me:  "Well, not yet.  Just wait for last week."

Molon Lube

altered

How non-local are we talking? Probability distribution still within the solar system, or are we talking about something where chunks of back hair start appearing past the quasars?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on September 24, 2020, 01:03:26 AM
How non-local are we talking? Probability distribution still within the solar system, or are we talking about something where chunks of back hair start appearing past the quasars?

We have no idea.

This is how science happens to people.
Molon Lube

altered

I'm hoping it's at least observable universe. I'm waiting on the next Charles Stross book.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 28, 2020, 04:12:22 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 28, 2020, 02:39:45 AM
So my son's first day is tomorrow.

Working for you?

No, different department.  He had to wait until Dan arrived, because company rules forbid one family member being the boss of another.

But his office is on the other side of the wall from mine, and we'll be commuting together.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 28, 2020, 04:55:44 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 28, 2020, 04:12:22 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 28, 2020, 02:39:45 AM
So my son's first day is tomorrow.

Working for you?

No, different department.  He had to wait until Dan arrived, because company rules forbid one family member being the boss of another.

But his office is on the other side of the wall from mine, and we'll be commuting together.

THAT is cool as shit!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Project jokes:

1.  We are proud that it has been -210 days since our next accident.

2.  We're a relaxed crew because there are no local problems.

3.  Mathematicians have only solved trivial problems.

4.  2 quarks for Muster Mark.  The 3rd one is on backorder.

Project axioms:

1.  You can't actually cheat the universe, but it blinks sometimes.  Uncle Albert and Uncle Isaac never understood the shell game.

2.  A grant in the hand is worth two in review.

3.  Progress requires work, initiative, and expended matter which seems to be contagious.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 28, 2020, 07:44:48 PM
1.  You can't actually cheat the universe, but it blinks sometimes.  Uncle Albert and Uncle Isaac never understood the shell game.

Negative probabilities and imaginary amplitudes are all very well and good in the lab, just make sure you keep them hidden from the public.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 28, 2020, 09:22:18 PM

Negative probabilities and imaginary amplitudes are all very well and good in the lab, just make sure you keep them hidden from the public.

I do my best to remember that this is all a silent fart in the halls of science.

Some of the building blocks of the project have interesting ramifications, but the project itself is raw horseshit and I try my best to keep that in mind.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Project jokes:

1.  We are proud that it has been -210 days since our next accident.

2.  We're a relaxed crew because there are no local problems.

3.  Mathematicians have only solved trivial problems.

4.  2 quarks for Muster Mark.  The 3rd one is on backorder.

Project axioms:

2.  A grant in the hand is worth two in review.

3.  Progress requires work, initiative, and expended matter which seems to be contagious.

Nice meme-program. That what I call Source code, right there.

When I can take time to curate some images if you like those can be chopped into Howlism memes or probably a text meme all its own.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Johnny on October 01, 2020, 07:53:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2020, 02:14:24 PM
Everywhere you go, there's always a dumbass.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/time-travel-possible-grandfather-paradox-free-will-b713939.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2ijBsdVdNXEPDHxb_-Yolv2GXQde_r8rIkrNG7qzuwF1E0-amedh0IUxw#Echobox=1601468055

Is that the best clickbait that a million kangaroos randomly typing can come up with?

Well, yeah.  Which is surprising, coming from the independent.  They're basically saying time travel (to the past) isn't impossible if the universe can forgive a paradox.

It's pure rubbish.  The past is fixed, and you can only change it if you can violate conservation of energy.  Which you can't.  ANY intrusion on the past violates conservation of energy.
Molon Lube