News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

The Compleat Billy Chronicles (thanks to Zenpatista)

Started by Doktor Howl, November 15, 2017, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2021, 05:07:37 PM
Quote from: Faust on July 29, 2021, 04:55:04 PM
I have questions:
Was the 7 minutes needed to get the drone OUT, or to get it IN before he arrived.

How does this identify if it has its target: has it got a variation on facial detection techniques for ass cheeks?

1.  In.  I might have to use the toilet, after all.

2.  It's not very discriminating.  37C +/2.

Imagine the scene from predator where he tricks the thermal sensor with mud to cool his skin, but in the bathroom and not the jungle, and not with mud
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 30, 2021, 05:55:27 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2021, 05:07:37 PM
Quote from: Faust on July 29, 2021, 04:55:04 PM
I have questions:
Was the 7 minutes needed to get the drone OUT, or to get it IN before he arrived.

How does this identify if it has its target: has it got a variation on facial detection techniques for ass cheeks?

1.  In.  I might have to use the toilet, after all.

2.  It's not very discriminating.  37C +/2.

Imagine the scene from predator where he tricks the thermal sensor with mud to cool his skin, but in the bathroom and not the jungle, and not with mud

This was in fact brought up by myself and two others, and dismissed by our clients.

So we had it written into the contract that we are not responsible for stirred shit.  No kidding.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2021, 05:08:47 PM
For most buildings, the sewer interlock is just a 180 degree trap, like you have under your sink.

That much I know, but I assumed a drone would be able to navigate a regular trap (it might impose some size limitations, but this critter is already capable of ascending a ten-foot pipe, so I expect mobility is solvable).

What I had in mind was putting two valves in series downstream of the toilet, designed such that only one of them could open at a time (like an airlock).  The toilet flushes, the first valve opens, poop passes, then it closes, then the second valve opens, the idea being that there is always a physical barrier to anything moving upstream.  This would be an expensive retrofit, would be susceptible to clogging, and probably wouldn't even be very effective (if the drone just stops and waits, couldn't it get past the valves in two flushes, anyway?)
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 30, 2021, 07:35:48 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2021, 05:08:47 PM
For most buildings, the sewer interlock is just a 180 degree trap, like you have under your sink.

That much I know, but I assumed a drone would be able to navigate a regular trap (it might impose some size limitations, but this critter is already capable of ascending a ten-foot pipe, so I expect mobility is solvable).

What I had in mind was putting two valves in series downstream of the toilet, designed such that only one of them could open at a time (like an airlock).  The toilet flushes, the first valve opens, poop passes, then it closes, then the second valve opens, the idea being that there is always a physical barrier to anything moving upstream.  This would be an expensive retrofit, would be susceptible to clogging, and probably wouldn't even be very effective (if the drone just stops and waits, couldn't it get past the valves in two flushes, anyway?)

That would be awesome the first time the lower valve malfunctions.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

And our founder/CEO died.  His three bickering children - all of whom hate each other and everything their dad built - are now in charge of the company.

Time to look for a job.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2021, 07:17:34 PM
And our founder/CEO died.  His three bickering children - all of whom hate each other and everything their dad built - are now in charge of the company.

Time to look for a job.
Damn sorry to hear that man.
Do you have some breathing room or did they just halt The Science immediately?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

How soon before each of them come to you for armourments for a literal war of succession

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 03, 2021, 12:05:58 AM

Time to look for a job.

I have some time.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 03, 2021, 04:39:20 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 03, 2021, 12:05:58 AM

Time to look for a job.

I have some time.

Glad to hear that at least.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Fujikoma

I'm sitting here a bit puzzled as to WHY someone would want a drone that goes up the toilet. Does it have anything to do with fatbergs?

Cain

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on August 04, 2021, 05:33:21 PM
I'm sitting here a bit puzzled as to WHY someone would want a drone that goes up the toilet. Does it have anything to do with fatbergs?

Who gives a fuck why?  The bills get paid, things get more horrifying.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

So, interesting concept in the new files.

"Ghosting" (not the social concept).

A person moves through a crowd.  As cameras ID his face, they turn away or shut off, sending a signal to other cameras to do the same thing, then erase the footage.  Static cameras just shut off and erase footage.  People in the vicinity get bot sales calls that distract them for 30 seconds.  Wifi objects in the area drop coverage, distracting people.  Phone cameras shut off (Apple already has this feature for police).  The person walking has been trained in the usual ways of not being noticed (clothing that doesn't stand out, not making eye contact, etc)  His Uber is always on time, allowing him to keep moving to wherever he's moving, without standing around.  Never has to wait for an elevator, that sort of thing. The chip in his credit card changes the card's unique ID from one valid account to another.  OLRs ignore cars he is in, the same way cameras do (deleting memory).

Far more difficult to implement than it sounds, but possible.  And I can think of a hundred uses for it.

Molon Lube

Faust

If a system was needed to give an escape mechanism for the rich and powerful this absolutely has  already been implemented, the trick would be figuring out where its been used

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 24, 2021, 11:33:27 AM
If a system was needed to give an escape mechanism for the rich and powerful this absolutely has  already been implemented, the trick would be figuring out where its been used

The best you could do is look for missing footage.  Even that could be jimmied.

But here's another idea:  Have one person appear to be in multiple places at the same time.  Or have one guy show up on video where he isn't, and not where he is.  If you need to set someone up.
Molon Lube