News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

You are a work of art

Started by Frontside Back, November 23, 2017, 04:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frontside Back

So here I'll try to wrap my head around an idea I came across a couple years back but haven't been able to solidify into easily understandable form. In these forums I see people packing the most brilliant thoughts into compact easily distributable sentences so your help would be very much appreciated. I've been able to explain this for handful of people through minutes of autistic blabbering but I don't really want to go through same shit over and over especially with the risk of pausing mid sentence and zoning out cause this kind of unformed thought causes glitches in my brain.

First premise derives from Nozicks Experience Machine, which he used to debunk hedonism by giving people the theoretical option to leave everything behind and plug themselves into a machine which would feed them eternal bliss. Nozick argued most of the people won't plug themselves in for eternity, which to him proved that people want more from life than only pleasure. But the Experience Machine could be used for more than that, for example living whole human lifetimes, like in that stupid game in Rick and Morty which just came to my mind and would have given me a much more sensible way to approach this concept. Anyway, that machine would be the ultimate storytelling medium so if ever invented, people would abuse it as they have been abusing books, tv, or videogames before.

The most read book happens to be the bible (a story about the past) and I red somewhere that the most watched film is titanic (also  story from the past). So the most likely blockbuster for the experience machine would be about the past, and would be fucking boring. Just like your life.

Then the probabilities. What is the chance you'd experience this moment out of all moment's ever experienced. Pretty low, right? But if this moment was experienced by multiple people millions of times just because the idiots in the future see all your mistakes so exhilarating they want to dip into your life over and over again in midst of their daily routine. It's more probable to probable things to happen than the improbable(citation needed). So it's more probable you are experienced many times than only one, cause you are experiencing yourself.

In conclusion you might very well be a hit novel from the future.

Peace.

P.S I hope I had patience to edit this, but take it as a comprehension exercise. Most of us people make no sense.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

hooplala

I'm more likely to be like A Million Little Pieces by James Frey... briefly popular until people get to know me better. But thank you for writing this.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

An eternal bliss machine?  How utterly horrible.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 23, 2017, 05:43:36 PM

Pretty sure that's how people pitched the Brady Bunch Variety Show. Look how that turned out.

Although to be fair, they should have known better than to book Curly as a guest.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Frontside Back

Imagine if it halted when all the fun things have been depleted and you'd come out inverted.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Frontside Back on November 23, 2017, 08:19:45 PM

Imagine if it halted when all the fun things have been depleted and you'd come out inverted.

But that's when the fun starts.

Because I'm gonna eat Coyote to make up the difference.  It's not even a crime.  The bastard likes Christmas music, and has to be stopped.
Molon Lube

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Re: OP -- I think the main stumbling block is the way you're trying to reach Occam's Razor by way of statistics and probability, which as far as I can tell is, "It's more probable for a single thing to happen many times than only once," which I'm not sure plays out IRL.

It's a nifty way to recursively prove the point, though.  "You are a story in the Experience Machine because it's more likely your moment of existence is repeated than it is being singular."

minuspace

In order for the simulation to be indistinguishable actual eternal bliss, it would have to be non-terminating. The notion that subjects can 'opt-out' of this everlasting state defeats the premise. Either hedonism is as good as it gets, or the thought-experiment needs more work. Still, made me think.

Frontside Back

Quote from: LMNO on November 28, 2017, 01:09:00 PM
Re: OP -- I think the main stumbling block is the way you're trying to reach Occam's Razor by way of statistics and probability, which as far as I can tell is, "It's more probable for a single thing to happen many times than only once," which I'm not sure plays out IRL.

It's a nifty way to recursively prove the point, though.  "You are a story in the Experience Machine because it's more likely your moment of existence is repeated than it is being singular."
Beautifully done! I have been away from this thought for a while and on further introspection I'm not sure that the Experience Machine would be the most likely way of rebirth, given that an AI would in most cases have an incentive to run multiple simulations of the past, past being inaccurate and hazy, so at least some iterations will include an indistinguishable version of anyone. Being a story feels more pleasant though because stories have purposes which makes this an useful anti-nihilism pill for my arsenal.

Quote from: LuciferX on December 01, 2017, 09:25:06 PM
In order for the simulation to be indistinguishable actual eternal bliss, it would have to be non-terminating. The notion that subjects can 'opt-out' of this everlasting state defeats the premise. Either hedonism is as good as it gets, or the thought-experiment needs more work. Still, made me think.
I'm not arguing against hedonism, Robert Nozick was. I tweaked his machine to function as a movie theater for our transhumanist successors. Anyway in my mind bliss is depleting resource for the mind. Things are enjoyable as long as they are new or scarce, and repetition kills off the joy of anything. The machine would have to come up with new ways to excite you until only stuff that's left is the stuff you used to detest, and you'd welcome it with open arms. And after that literally everything sucks. That's one reason I wouldn't ever go to heaven.

minuspace

>> I'm not arguing against hedonism, Robert Nozick was. I tweaked his machine to function as a movie theater for our transhumanist successors. Anyway in my mind bliss is depleting resource for the mind. *Things are enjoyable as long as they are new or scarce, and repetition kills off the joy of anything. The machine would have to come up with new ways to excite you* until only stuff that's left is the stuff you used to detest, and you'd welcome it with open arms. And after that literally everything sucks. That's one reason I wouldn't ever go to heaven.

Beyond resisting recurrence, nothing gets old quicker than a new thing.

THE QLIPHITISER

The only thing which is, is not. You are it but it isn't you  :lol:
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

hooplala

Quote from: Accelerated Evolution on December 13, 2017, 10:28:48 AM

Wherever you go, there you are. Who wrote the book of love?

This is fun.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

THE QLIPHITISER

Quote from: The Invisible Man on December 13, 2017, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: Accelerated Evolution on December 13, 2017, 10:28:48 AM

Wherever you go, there you are. Who wrote the book of love?

This is fun.

Mono, thoughts or tones imposed on the excitement.

Is it which isn't or isn't it which is?

Certitude 
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative