News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

a running list of reasons why we are fucked and there is no hope.

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, December 05, 2017, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 06, 2017, 05:17:47 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on December 06, 2017, 05:10:52 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 06, 2017, 05:04:59 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on December 06, 2017, 03:20:02 AM
Quote from: PoFP on December 06, 2017, 02:33:52 AM
:mittens:

While every word of this is true, Reason 1 explains why having this piece thrown out into the media for public consumption would simply result in "TL;DR"-type responses, or none at all.

I try pointing out shit like this (Although, not nearly as eloquently and thoroughly as you've done, here) all the time, but no one wants to read anything for longer than a few seconds at a time. It's honestly one of the most frustrating aspects of this list, in that it prevents discussion that could solve the other items in the list.

Yeah, this. It's really at the point now where the only "hope" that really exists is that maybe we'll actually have some kind of nuclear Armageddon that wipes out 95% of humanity, and maybe whoever picks up the pieces will do a better job next time around.

Unlikely. The places most likely to avoid being nuked back into the dark ages are those too unimportant to target due to never having exited the dark ages in the first place. Like the bible belt and flyover states; if you were a head of state would you waste a nuke on what is essentially an uninhabited wasteland already?
Well, yes, I would. But I'm a terrible person.

I meant to put yourself in the mind of the kind of pinhead that becomes a real head of state
I imagine they wouldn't, but what do I know about the mind of a legitimately crazy person? I doubt Nebraska makes a very tempting target on its own, but we do have missile silos and airfields all over the place. Plus the flyover states still produce a lot of food, so depending in what kind of death they have in store for us, it might make sense to irradiate them.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Pergamos

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 05, 2017, 07:59:12 PM
Quote8. The kinds of progressives who are currently being laughed out of global politics because of their "crazy ideas"... are not nearly progressive enough to do any good, even if they got everything they asked for. Despite half of the planet being consumed with Hollywood blockbuster entertainment about superheroes and spaceships, it turns out nobody actually has any imagination.

It's kind of worse than this. In the last 6 months I can't recall hearing a new "progressive" idea. When was the last time you heard one? The next one you're likely to hear about is equal rights for Whatever nominal fetish or sexuality you want to invent. Being progressive is no longer about advancing everyone, just your own tiny and inconsequential agenda. Seriously, hit me with an idea that's not either been talked to death a billion times over for decades. If you can pull out anything more helpful to everyone than "Equal rights for furries" I'm all ears.

I am not implying V3x or Howl are furries. I am insinuating it.

I keep hearing about basic income, far more than right for various marginalized groups.  I have my doubts about whether universal subsidization of consumption is the best idea, but it is at least an idea.

LMNO

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on December 05, 2017, 10:01:05 PM
Our leaders use Fascist tactics, but they aren't really Fascists. They're Feudalists building a system where peasants pay tribute to the new nobility first on economic divisions, and to each other secondarily based on those social divisions.

I wonder if QG could Big Words that.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO on December 06, 2017, 01:49:14 PM
Our leaders use Fascist tactics, but they aren't really Fascists. They're Feudalists building a system where peasants pay tribute to the new nobility first on economic divisions, and to each other secondarily based on those social divisions.

On it.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 06, 2017, 03:31:11 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 06, 2017, 01:49:14 PM

On it.

awesome! and thanks for the idea, LMNO. QG please feel free to alter context words or clean up as necessary.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I'll do one with a background later but I'm supposed to be doing work-work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Now that I'm reading it instead of just formatting blindly, "those social divisions" may need to be reworded...

Doktor Howl

While every word of this is true, Reason 1 explains why having this piece thrown out into the media for public consumption would simply result in "TL;DR"-type responses, or none at all.

I try pointing out shit like this (Although, not nearly as eloquently and thoroughly as you've done, here) all the time, but no one wants to read anything for longer than a few seconds at a time. It's honestly one of the most frustrating aspects of this list, in that it prevents discussion that could solve the other items in the list.

Yeah, this. It's really at the point now where the only "hope" that really exists is that maybe we'll actually have some kind of nuclear Armageddon that wipes out 95% of humanity, and maybe whoever picks up the pieces will do a better job next time around.

Unlikely. The places most likely to avoid being nuked back into the dark ages are those too unimportant to target due to never having exited the dark ages in the first place. Like the bible belt and flyover states; if you were a head of state would you waste a nuke on what is essentially an uninhabited wasteland already?

At the height of the cold war, Tucson had 137 nukes aimed at it.  True story.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Pergamos on December 06, 2017, 01:27:06 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on December 05, 2017, 07:59:12 PM
Quote8. The kinds of progressives who are currently being laughed out of global politics because of their "crazy ideas"... are not nearly progressive enough to do any good, even if they got everything they asked for. Despite half of the planet being consumed with Hollywood blockbuster entertainment about superheroes and spaceships, it turns out nobody actually has any imagination.

It's kind of worse than this. In the last 6 months I can't recall hearing a new "progressive" idea. When was the last time you heard one? The next one you're likely to hear about is equal rights for Whatever nominal fetish or sexuality you want to invent. Being progressive is no longer about advancing everyone, just your own tiny and inconsequential agenda. Seriously, hit me with an idea that's not either been talked to death a billion times over for decades. If you can pull out anything more helpful to everyone than "Equal rights for furries" I'm all ears.

I am not implying V3x or Howl are furries. I am insinuating it.

I keep hearing about basic income, far more than right for various marginalized groups.  I have my doubts about whether universal subsidization of consumption is the best idea, but it is at least an idea.

I like the idea of UBI, or at least I like the idea of solving the problem it's supposed to solve. We know from all kinds of scientific research that people are happier and more productive in their work when they don't have to worry about meeting their families' basic survival needs. UBI is supposed to guarantee everyone a basic standard of living so we don't have to worry about losing our jobs. It's a tidy solution to the problem of technological disruption and the resulting worker displacement. It would also mean simplifying the welfare system, since we wouldn't need unemployment, SSI, or disability income (except as an increase in UBI payments) anymore. And there's more than enough money to pay for it -- if we could just tax it out of the top 5-10% of earners' income.

The "problem" with UBI is that "it's punishing success" and "rewarding laziness". It's actually neither of those things, of course, but that won't stop half the people from believing it is and making the idea dead on arrival, thus forcing us all the hang by a thread that capitalism rewards employers for cutting. This is a plain example of why we are fucked. Free-market capitalism is reaching the limits of what it can do to improve living standards. We're at the point of diminishing returns. But because we have indoctrinated ourselves to believe Absolute Capitalism is basically the economic version of Jesus, we can't even allow ourselves to consider alternatives like UBI, even when something like that is absolutely necessary to cope with technological advancement as it applies to the workforce. And since, apparently, being wrong hurts more than being hungry, that's where things stand.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 06, 2017, 03:56:46 PM
Now that I'm reading it instead of just formatting blindly, "those social divisions" may need to be reworded...

Agreed... but the format looks amazing!

Brother Mythos

Here's my offering to the list:

We humans lack the intelligent required for our long-term survival.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Brother Mythos on December 07, 2017, 03:06:24 AM
Here's my offering to the list:

We humans lack the intelligent required for our long-term survival.
That's definitely true. All the truly intelligent species had the good sense not to evolve in the first place.

Bruno

Humans: Poster Species for non-correlation between intelligence and decision making ability.
Formerly something else...

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 06, 2017, 03:57:23 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Tucson however, is not rural, even if much of Arizona is.

I'm talking about aiming nukes at small god-fearing uneducated inbred communities
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 07, 2017, 03:56:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 06, 2017, 03:57:23 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Tucson however, is not rural, even if much of Arizona is.

I'm talking about aiming nukes at small god-fearing uneducated inbred communities

What the fuck could you do to Quartzite that they haven't done to themselves?  They BEG for nukes.
Molon Lube