News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

An idea i keep having

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, December 31, 2017, 09:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

so i had this idea for a story, perhaps a novel if i can be bothered. Now that the modern world is interconnected, and all civilization more or less are aware of other cultures' gods, gods of all the various pantheons must now govern their various portfolios by committee, with gods having their hands full attending meetings governing things like marriage, trickery, the hearth, love and so on, to the point they rarely get around to doing mythic god stuff anymore, leading the whole god business to feel like an absurd version of The Office, but with like, Cthulu there. and because the gods are thoughtform creatures(basically egregores on a colossal scale) much of their discussions govern which stories get told, by whom and when. The Judeo-Christian God is making out like a bandit under this system, with Jesus, Muhammed, and Moses enjoying rather cozy positions in this godly bureaucracy, despite a rather frosty and confrontational working relationship with each other. The major gods of older pantheons still hold some sway in this system, but the lesser known and lesser worshipped gods feel oppressed under this system and seek to upset the apple cart and topple Yahweh's hold on their stories and myths. I am not sure which gods would be the protagonists in this story just yet, but in general, the theme would be gods from old pantheons that never get talked about flipping the table on the ones that everyone talks about.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Marduk is probably feeling pretty alienated right about now.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

And I picture Eris just sits around complaining about us like all the time.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

THE QLIPHITISER

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 31, 2017, 09:02:45 PM
so i had this idea for a story, perhaps a novel if i can be bothered. Now that the modern world is interconnected, and all civilization more or less are aware of other cultures' gods, gods of all the various pantheons must now govern their various portfolios by committee, with gods having their hands full attending meetings governing things like marriage, trickery, the hearth, love and so on, to the point they rarely get around to doing mythic god stuff anymore, leading the whole god business to feel like an absurd version of The Office, but with like, Cthulu there. and because the gods are thoughtform creatures(basically egregores on a colossal scale) much of their discussions govern which stories get told, by whom and when. The Judeo-Christian God is making out like a bandit under this system, with Jesus, Muhammed, and Moses enjoying rather cozy positions in this godly bureaucracy, despite a rather frosty and confrontational working relationship with each other. The major gods of older pantheons still hold some sway in this system, but the lesser known and lesser worshipped gods feel oppressed under this system and seek to upset the apple cart and topple Yahweh's hold on their stories and myths. I am not sure which gods would be the protagonists in this story just yet, but in general, the theme would be gods from old pantheons that never get talked about flipping the table on the ones that everyone talks about.

My god (pun divinely intended) that sounds like a fucking awesome story  :lulz:
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 01, 2018, 07:50:52 AM
Marduk is probably feeling pretty alienated right about now.
I've actually never heard of Marduk. Could you link me to some resources?

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

He's the ancient Babylonian god who ousted Tiamat in the Enuma Elish
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 04, 2018, 08:50:27 PM
He's the ancient Babylonian god who ousted Tiamat in the Enuma Elish
Ah k. Now I remember him. I was watching Crash Course mythology and they mentioned Marduk, but I forgot about him afterwards.