News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Chicken grows face of dinosaur

Started by Bu🤠ns, January 09, 2018, 03:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fin on January 11, 2018, 09:20:18 PM
Uh, you misunderstand me Dr. Howl.   I have no offer of a deal. You fascinate me. I could never agree to not interact with you. Is that a bannanable offense? You're the power-possesser here.

Nope.  The 6 things that get you banned were listed on registration.  It's not my fault if you sign things without reading them.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 11, 2018, 01:09:17 AM
Why do they need "ethical approval" to hatch it? In general it's always more ethical to nurture an organism than to destroy it, with the only clear exceptions being pathogenic organisms, parasites, and fascists.

Yes, in general. That's the key phrase there. This doesn't fall under general, this is an unusual.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cramulus on January 11, 2018, 01:28:13 PM
I think they'd have a lot less problems if they stopped calling it a chicken.

kind of a 'ship of theseus' question here - how much DNA can you swap out and still call it a chicken?

but I guess we want gene-hacked people to still be human, so maybe it's better to think of it as a mutant-chicken than as something new

learning important lessons from prometheus here

If it is still interfertile with chickens and the resulting offspring are also capable of breeding with chickens, it's a chicken under Biological Species Concept.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 11, 2018, 03:49:56 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 11, 2018, 01:28:13 PM
I think they'd have a lot less problems if they stopped calling it a chicken.

kind of a 'ship of theseus' question here - how much DNA can you swap out and still call it a chicken?

but I guess we want gene-hacked people to still be human, so maybe it's better to think of it as a mutant-chicken than as something new

learning important lessons from prometheus here

It comes down to "what is the essential object of a chicken?"  The purpose of a chicken is to be fried and eaten.  Can this monster chicken be eaten?  If it can, then it is a chicken with dentures.  If it cannot, then it is an abomination that should be released into the MBTA station at 5 PM.

I approve of this!

Capeditiea

:O wow first giant killer worms are destroying france... and now we have dinosaur chickens... :O

sigh... what is next... dancing zombies?
The Goddess of Discord = 67 = Eris Kallisti Discordja = 67 = Gnosis Goddess of Art and Creativity = 67 = Capeditiea = 67 = Goddess of Enigma
[GoN]

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 05, 2018, 10:21:16 PM
It was fucking horrible.  Do not trust your younger self.