News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Hopeful but realistic ten-year scenarios

Started by Dildo Argentino, January 11, 2018, 06:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Hello, I'm back. I bear no ill will. :)

So what's your optimistic but realistic scenario for 2028?

If you believe you can actually predict that scene (I think it's up in the air, even though the climate is highly likely to get much shittier), I'm all ears for that, too.

As for me, I would like to see nation states weaken and voluntary, organic, small-group-based networks rise further.

I would like to see widespread fullerene printing available to the masses, with a flourishing, if still fringe maker culture to go with it.

I would like to see the foodprinterTM, a portable device which, if pointed at a heap of general purpose organic waste and given sufficient energy, will produce slop that will sustain the human body.

I would like to see immune, neural, cognitive and digestive enhancements inching towards the mainstream.

I would like to see a planet teeming with humans who begin to move around freely as is their birthright, and a healthy and strong opposition to the ubiquitous surveillance panopticum that will surely still be on offer from the 1-percenters and possibly their machine buddies.

I would like to see the dragon irritated and scared, if not yet slain.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Cain

That we have a regulated international agreement which will stop the planetary temperatures from increasing more than 3C, plunging the world into a nightmare scenario of food and resource wars, mass migration, nativist politics, depopulation via austerity politics and increasing authoritarianism.

It's not going to happen.  But it could.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2018, 08:13:40 AM
That we have a regulated international agreement which will stop the planetary temperatures from increasing more than 3C, plunging the world into a nightmare scenario of food and resource wars, mass migration, nativist politics, depopulation via austerity politics and increasing authoritarianism.

Okay, I fully agree, so in one sense that's an optimistic but unrealistic scenario. It is unrealistic not because of physical feasibility, but because of human nature. So what's your optimistic but realistic?

Frontside Back

I for one hope that there's a steady increase of meaningless phrases used as conversation tool. We as a humankind could replace all the small talk with blabbering nonsense, and nobody would even notice the difference.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Cain

Quote from: Dildo Argentino on January 11, 2018, 10:10:42 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2018, 08:13:40 AM

Okay, I fully agree, so in one sense that's an optimistic but unrealistic scenario. It is unrealistic not because of physical feasibility, but because of human nature. So what's your optimistic but realistic?

World treaties to mitigate climate change are unrealistic, but

Quotea planet teeming with humans who begin to move around freely as is their birthright, and a healthy and strong opposition to the ubiquitous surveillance panopticum that will surely still be on offer from the 1-percenters and possibly their machine buddies.

isn't?

OK.  Have fun with your masturbatory thread.

PS: "Human nature" isn't an argument. But you already knew that.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Frontside Back on January 11, 2018, 10:46:27 AM
I for one hope that there's a steady increase of meaningless phrases used as conversation tool. We as a humankind could replace all the small talk with blabbering nonsense, and nobody would even notice the difference.

Away thee with your brute cynicism!  :lulz:

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2018, 11:22:56 AM
World treaties to mitigate climate change are unrealistic, but

Quotea planet teeming with humans who begin to move around freely as is their birthright, and a healthy and strong opposition to the ubiquitous surveillance panopticum that will surely still be on offer from the 1-percenters and possibly their machine buddies.

isn't?

OK.  Have fun with your masturbatory thread.

PS: "Human nature" isn't an argument. But you already knew that.

Awww don't be like that now! I do my masturbation elsewhere. I know that the expectation of a healthy, nay, strengthening human resistance to the machine seems pretty far-fetched. I also know that mass death and indeed mass murder are pretty much on our cards now. But the size and nature of the events constituting the catastrophic collapse is hard to predict, because new tech is going to be emerging at an increasing rate. The somewhat more conscious types over here are worried that the Putin-Orban-Polish nutcase conglomeratum will try to shut down/limit/fully survey our interwebz within a reasonably short while. But it won't happen if we can help it, and on the balance I'd guess, if I had to, that we will be able to help it. The shift to non-economic models is palpable: a minority, but no longer a microminority increasingly manage growing aspects of their lives outside the money economy. I see some reason for optimism.

Dildo Argentino

Cramulus

In American politics-----

When we come out of the Trump Times, we will be reborn.

One of the reasons I think American politics has been jammed is our inability to consicely articulate the real sides and stakes. Trump is a human embodiement of what's wrong, and as such, can be used as shorthand symbol. (sort of like how Hitler is a moral touchstone) If Trump's exit is spectacular enough, then no one remotely like him will be able to follow the act.

tl;dr accelerationism, but the good kind

LMNO

I see us leveraging our core competencies in order to implement a solve involving mission critical turnkey solutions.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cramulus on January 11, 2018, 01:36:59 PM
In American politics-----

When we come out of the Trump Times, we will be reborn.

One of the reasons I think American politics has been jammed is our inability to consicely articulate the real sides and stakes. Trump is a human embodiement of what's wrong, and as such, can be used as shorthand symbol. (sort of like how Hitler is a moral touchstone) If Trump's exit is spectacular enough, then no one remotely like him will be able to follow the act.

tl;dr accelerationism, but the good kind

Excellent vid. I think we may be on the same page. Increasingly, I just see the significance of the state wither away slowly and variably all over the globe. P.M. in Bolo'Bolo was a little too optimistic, but the general gist of the process seems to have at least a fighting chance of playing out.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2018, 01:38:25 PM
I see us leveraging our core competencies in order to implement a solve involving mission critical turnkey solutions.

OH YES BE LIKE THAT YOU FOUL-MOUTHED DISCORDIAN DIEHARD! THAT'S HOW I LIKE IT! LAY INTO ME WITH YOUR BRASH WITTICISM AND YOUR BOMBASTIC CYNICISM!!! AAAAAAA!!!

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2018, 01:38:25 PM

:lulz:

I'm a sucker for that shit.
Molon Lube

Dildo Argentino