Main Menu

Something I rushed off

Started by Cain, May 30, 2012, 11:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on June 13, 2012, 06:46:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 02:15:23 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on June 13, 2012, 11:15:54 AM
Here's some shit that just popped into my head. I'm taking it as a given that, sooner or later, some organisation will take over the world.

There's no profit in owning the whole thing.

Don't quite follow you but my curiosity is piqued. Pls to explain?

You can only make money on a global scale if you can exploit the gap between the HAVES and the HAVE NOTS.  If your organization includes everyone, there is no gap to exploit.  Just a bunch of poor people COSTING you money.  It's a sucker's game.  Why do you think people stopped annexing other countries?  When you take over, THEIR problems become YOUR problems, instead of something to exploit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 13, 2012, 07:16:25 PM
Also, check out some of those bannana farms in South America.

Two things:

1.  DelMonte, under it's old name "United Fruit" used to have company troops they called "United States Marines" to handle that shit.  It's cheaper and more popular to use local troops these days.

2.  "Bannana"?  You make me sad.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 07:14:45 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 05:39:45 PM
yeah. it was just a silly response.
although, it doesn't seem entirely implausible, so it was kind of tongue in cheek.
i can see international corporations having private armies build up significantly to the point of overshadowing state armies as a possible bizarre future.

In the present.
do you mean indirectly? as in the corporations de-facto controlling the state armies for their private use?

No, I mean directly.  My company has direct-employed troops in a couple of African nations, and I would be fucking SHOCKED if our competitors didn't.

We call them "security", but they're essentially air cav.

Oh, definitely.
i'm just saying it would be unsurprising in the future if they may overshadow state military. A-la Jennifer Govt.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 07:31:56 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 07:14:45 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 05:39:45 PM
yeah. it was just a silly response.
although, it doesn't seem entirely implausible, so it was kind of tongue in cheek.
i can see international corporations having private armies build up significantly to the point of overshadowing state armies as a possible bizarre future.

In the present.
do you mean indirectly? as in the corporations de-facto controlling the state armies for their private use?

No, I mean directly.  My company has direct-employed troops in a couple of African nations, and I would be fucking SHOCKED if our competitors didn't.

We call them "security", but they're essentially air cav.

Oh, definitely.
i'm just saying it would be unsurprising in the future if they may overshadow state military. A-la Jennifer Govt.

The nations they are in?  The corporate troops are definitely stronger and better trained.

Elder Iptuous

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 13, 2012, 09:32:12 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 07:54:12 PM
This is so?  :?

Yes, it is.

although corporations are likely to spend on private armies much more efficiently than the state, how is it possible that they overshadow them (specifically the US) just given the money spent?
what corporations would be able to have air superiority over the US military?
or has carrier fleets?
what corporations have weapon stockpiles to rival it?
or soldiers for that matter?

i either didn't make my meaning clear, or i'm missing something big.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 09:47:44 PM

Yes, it is.

although corporations are likely to spend on private armies much more efficiently than the state, how is it possible that they overshadow them (specifically the US) just given the money spent?
or has carrier fleets?

I think what you're missing is the specific context of Roger's statement that the company militias are bigger and better armed/trained than the armies of the countries they are deployed in. Not that they are bigger than the US military.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 13, 2012, 09:47:44 PM

Yes, it is.

or has carrier fleets?

You didn't say America.  I said "two African nations".

Elder Iptuous

minuspace

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2012, 07:24:06 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on June 12, 2012, 07:18:48 PM
Sources indicate that a large metropolis would descend into chaos within 72hrs. of having communications / utilities shut down... 

Your sources are fucked.  The Great New York Blackout of 1977 led to chaos in less than 24 hours, with looting, arson, and general disorder starting at nightfall.

Fucked perhaps that they are, however, that only increases their credibility, if you catch my drift.  That, and any thoughts about trust on the matter only corroborate how quickly these things can turn on themselves.  Back to the point, sure, NYC is different, although having been there through the last one does not necessarily make me feel any better - just becaue I must be bored enough to think about these things.

Sung Low

Bumped because of prescience

At the moment though it seems that dick waving still takes precedence over subterfuge and AT THE MOMENT I think that they'll be unable to let go of that.
The d key has chosen to absent itself