News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

The left and the right

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, April 06, 2018, 12:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Brave New World has similarities but it's problems are unrelated to these similarities, and in many ways stem from the places where it isn't similar. They seem to have stagnated under the rule of a religion that worships ancient 19th century industrialists, they seem to have gone out of their way to perpetuate injustices that their technology and culture should have solved (in particular they still have a rigid caste system despite strict population control and the end of biological families, which essentially means that they're practicing population control to no reason other than to do it; exactly the sort of practice I seek to get rid of; they have too many people for everyone to be comfortable intentionally and this means that someone somewhere has given a damn about something that they shouldn't have), and related to the previous point they practice a sort of eugenics (and in places, reverse-eugenics) which is also indicative of people giving a damn in places and situations where they shouldn't
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on April 20, 2018, 01:33:53 PM
QuoteFor all distinctions between races, cultures, and ethnicities to be cast down and forgotten. For all gender expression to be eliminated due to all gender specificity of anything (clothing, bathrooms, sports teams, etc.) being eliminated. For the institution of marriage to be eliminated. For all cultures and peoples of the world to be merged into a single superculture.

you don't want norms
but you want to eliminate differences

you want individuality
but don't like how a lot of people have chosen to individuate

you don't want diveristy or difference
you prefer to imagine a harmonious monoculture

I think your vision is in self conflict.

You can't have a unifying culture with no norms. What is there to unify around?
You can't have maximum individuality while eliminating individual racial, sexuality, culture.

(culture, by the way, usually grows from the bottom up... somebody starts using slang, the people around them adopt it, fast forward, you've got a new language... people naturally separate and individuate, culture is a fractal and when you lean in real close, there is always a rough edge containing infinite complexity and diversity)

It reminds me of the libertarians that want freedom from government authority
and therefore support corporate tyranny

the bathwater and the baby fly into the wild blue yonder

First: This post rules.

Second: "I'm above it all" is the wankiest and most worthless response to ideological conflict.
Because unless you've got a spaceship, you're not above it all. You're in this mess with us.

The emperor may have no clothes, but neither do you, peasant.

Cainad (dec.)

FWIW, I think casting off or disregarding all factors that unify people and trying to make decisions based on pure individualism is not casting off ideology or rising above it.

An ideology is, to borrow a definition I learned from PhilosophyTube ("What Was Liberalism"), simply a framework that defines two main things:

1) What facts are relevant
2) Who are the acceptable targets of violence

Even the most nihilistic, norm-rejecting stance has SOME kind of answer to these questions, and therefore has an ideology.

I'ma go with one that I think sucks the least and has the least separation from testable, empirical experience. Sometimes I'll fuck that up. But I'm pretty much over the "both sides are bad lol" mode of coping with bullshit.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: LMNO on May 10, 2018, 03:28:28 PM
I think I've heard this one before.

I would literally give my left arm to live in a society with the same attitudes towards drugs, family, and casual sex as the one in Brave New World. The problems with the society in Brave New World were that they had a rigid caste system that oppressed the poor and the fact that they worshipped Henry Ford as some kind of weird deity.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on June 01, 2018, 02:02:29 AM
Quote from: LMNO on May 10, 2018, 03:28:28 PM
I think I've heard this one before.

I would literally give my left arm to live in a society with the same attitudes towards drugs, family, and casual sex as the one in Brave New World. The problems with the society in Brave New World were that they had a rigid caste system that oppressed the poor and the fact that they worshipped Henry Ford as some kind of weird deity.

:um:
Molon Lube

LMNO

:lulz:

PDS, America already exists.

Cramulus

weren't the drugs and state-sponsored value systems in Brave New World just an advanced form of factory production?

like saying, I'm cool with the government controlling every aspect of life down to people's personal values as long as it's not based on money

Line-assembly of humans is good, actually - as long as those humans are nice

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

bpseudopod

Your argument's kind of fucked if it hinges on the notion that you can do Brave New World, but better.