News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Has It Really Come to This?

Started by Brother Mythos, May 02, 2018, 01:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

Over the past few months, I've often found myself thinking, "Why is the world like this? It really shouldn't be like this." And, it happened again this afternoon.

Recently, my state allowed supermarkets to sell wine and beer. And, as I usually take my father grocery shopping on Tuesday, my wife asked me to pick up a bottle of a good, inexpensive wine she uses for cooking. 

And so, while my father started his shopping, I found the wine, took it to the counter, and opened my wallet to pay for it. Ignoring my cash in hand, the cashier told me I need to produce a valid photo ID in order to make the purchase.

Now, I am vain enough to think I look good for my age, but, on the other hand, I was born during the Truman Administration! My remaining hair is quite gray, and to describe my neatly trimmed beard and moustache as 'salt and pepper' is outright flattery.

I found myself asking the cashier, who may very well have been born during the previous Roosevelt Administration, "Seriously?"

And, to my surprise, she was dead serious. "We have to do this," she replied, clearly pissed off that I even dared to question her demand.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Bruno

Same here. Doesn't it just make you want to get a fake ID that says you're 19, tho?

Actually, 25 might be funnier, now that I think about it.
Formerly something else...

LMNO

From what I understand, it relieves the cashier from the consequences of making a judgement call.  A "no exceptions" rule ensures that they won't get the borderline scenarios wrong.  Sure, it might annoy some people, but when one's liquor license is on the line (plus a lot of fines), it's not gonna change.

ReverendJesus

Zero tolerance is ALWAYS a stupid policy.
~Rev. Jesus "H" Christ

HMGMA #D-1-10535-13
Episkopos, Flying Squirrels on Fire Cabal [FSoFCabal.com]
Ordained Minister, Church of the Latter-Day Dude
Minister, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Reverend, United Church of Bacon
Minister, Universal Life Church
Clergy, Spiritual Humanist Church
Reverend, Open Ministry
Legionnaire, SORPOEE
Legionnaire, Cabal of Cabbage(tm)
Member, Satanic Temple
Member, Secular Student Alliance
Citizen, Aerican Empire

Answer our survey for a chance* to win one free miracle of your choice!

LMNO

You're a store owner that could face a fine of several thousand dollars and a loss of the ability to sell alcohol (that you paid a whole TON of money for), and you're leaving that risk up to a bored cashier?

I, too, like to live dangerously.

rong

Quote from: ReverendJesus on May 02, 2018, 01:22:33 PM
i have zero tolerance for stupid policies
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: LMNO on May 02, 2018, 12:55:14 PM
From what I understand, it relieves the cashier from the consequences of making a judgement call.  A "no exceptions" rule ensures that they won't get the borderline scenarios wrong.  Sure, it might annoy some people, but when one's liquor license is on the line (plus a lot of fines), it's not gonna change.

A grocery store I used to work at in MA had a no exceptions rule like that. I was certainly awkward/embarrassing to have to ask someone that was clearly old enough to buy alcohol several times over for their ID, more so if they didn't have it on them and I had to tell them that I couldn't sell it without first getting my supervisor's approval. But, I wasn't going to risk my job over it, and while in certain cases it may be glaringly obvious said person is old enough, I understand not wanting to leave that sort of judgment call to a cashier when it comes to grayer (no pun intended) areas.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ReverendJesus on May 02, 2018, 01:22:33 PM

I have a zero methanol tolerance policy at my house.
Molon Lube

Brother Mythos

I had a previous "Has It Really Come to This?" moment Sunday evening.

At a rare family gathering/dinner, Sean, the husband of my favorite niece, stated that Donald J. Trump was a psychopath.

I immediately disagreed. I told him that based upon my own reading and research, Spanky, as Donald J. Trump is known around my kitchen table, is actually a sociopath. I then found myself explaining that it appears to me the main difference between psychopaths and sociopaths is that psychopaths are much smarter, in that they can fake empathy, whereas sociopaths can not do so.

And with that, the rest of the family jumped in, and the topic de-evolved even further. But, amid all the levity, I could not quite forget we were talking about the current President of the United States.

And so, the thought "Has It Really Come to This?" is beginning to occur to me with alarming frequency.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

I've not had it that bad, but as a 32 year old man I've been asked to prove I'm over 16 when buying a can of Red Bull to push me through the night shift.  As in, yesterday.

I did have my work ID with me, so I asked them if they knew a lot of 16 year old Senior Houseparents at international boarding schools.  That didn't go down well, but they did (eventually) concede the point.

axod

Sometimes, security does not become freedom and responsability.
just this

ReverendJesus

Quote from: Cain on May 04, 2018, 08:38:02 AM
to prove I'm over 16 when buying a can of Red Bull

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK
~Rev. Jesus "H" Christ

HMGMA #D-1-10535-13
Episkopos, Flying Squirrels on Fire Cabal [FSoFCabal.com]
Ordained Minister, Church of the Latter-Day Dude
Minister, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Reverend, United Church of Bacon
Minister, Universal Life Church
Clergy, Spiritual Humanist Church
Reverend, Open Ministry
Legionnaire, SORPOEE
Legionnaire, Cabal of Cabbage(tm)
Member, Satanic Temple
Member, Secular Student Alliance
Citizen, Aerican Empire

Answer our survey for a chance* to win one free miracle of your choice!

Cain

Quote from: ReverendJesus on May 04, 2018, 01:45:29 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 04, 2018, 08:38:02 AM
to prove I'm over 16 when buying a can of Red Bull

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

New government policy.  Alongside the sugar sin tax, you now have to prove you're a semi-adult in the eyes of the law to get your sugar-caffeine buzz on.

rong

You mean it hasn't always been this way?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"