News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

I think it's time to write off the progressive demographic.

Started by Doktor Howl, May 29, 2018, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Vanadium Gryllz

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

MMIX

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 13, 2018, 08:06:10 PM
It was about an endless parade of people on FB (and one here, apparently), who tell me that we're better off with actual Goddamn Nazis than we would with an admittedly flawed democratic candidate.

OK this is really starting to piss me off [and NB remember I'm a Brit here] but does it say somewhere in the sodding Constitution that everyfucker in fucking Trumpistan has to mindlessly parrot that Hillary Clinton was "an admittedly flawed democratic candidate" ? We are talking about politicians people, they are all bloody flawed, did you not get the memo? I am just about sick to screaming that one of the best candidates for the presidency in a long while will go down in history as "admittedly flawed" It is like some kind of verbal tic that your whole damn nation has developed; its the ultimate unifying force that underlies the notion of Americanness; I have never heard any other candidate tarred with this brush before. Hillary must be so delighted to be unique amongst her peers. Everyfucker and his dutch uncle, every time the woman's name is mentioned, they just can't help themselves they blurt out "admittedly flawed" before they even think about it.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Some would say that her main flaw was having a vagina.

MMIX

Quote from: LMNO on June 14, 2018, 06:07:25 PM

From my pov that is essentially the whole problem, glad that it is not just my ridiculous feminist sensitivity leading me to irrational and hysterical conclusions..
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

Her main flaw is that she campaigned badly.

But, yanno, we can just dismiss my point as "she has a vagina."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: MMIX on June 14, 2018, 07:00:31 PM
Quote from: LMNO on June 14, 2018, 06:07:25 PM

From my pov that is essentially the whole problem, glad that it is not just my ridiculous feminist sensitivity leading me to irrational and hysterical conclusions..

From my point of view, you can kiss my ass until the scabs all fall off.

Fuck both of you. 

I'm out.
Molon Lube

Pergamos

For those of you that have a problem with "admittedly flawed" there's no way you have any hope of winning back progressives.  Meanwhile there's Net, who seems to prefer nazis.  no wonder this country is becoming more and more obciously a shithole.

Hillary already had two terms as president.  Her husband was busy getting blowjobs and snorting coke and she did the actual work.  problem is that work included laying the groundwork for most of the things wrong with the country today.  The laws passed in the first Clinton administration destroyed our welfare system, accelerated the filling of prisons, particularly with people of color, created Nafta and it's destruction of the economy, and deregulated the financial industry, paving the way for the crash of 2008.  That's a touch worse than the sort of admittedly flawed that all politicians are.  Hillary and her husband were responsible for changing the direction of the Democratic party to a more corporate machine that abandoned or even attacked many of those progresives fight to protect.  That said, she was still far better than Trump, I voted for her, but pretending that she is no more flawed than most, or that the reason people dislike her is because she is a woman is just as bad as progressives who would rather have a Nazi.  Worse in some ways because her campaign aided Trump's, seeing him as a more beatable opponent than saner Republicans, so she is partly responsible for him, and all of her supporters bear some of that blame.

hooplala

It didn't look to me like LMNO was criticizing you with that vagina comment, Dok.

And forgive me for being Canadian but I think both you and NET have decent points here. If we could forgo from the usual PD.com bloodletting, this could be a very informative and educational discussion. I read an article today about Doug Ford's election which posited that people who don't follow politics closely get spooked easily by the recent speed of change, and reach out to people like Ford and like Trump as a way of holding on to what they know.

And these are largely whities, obviously. And what they want to hold on to is their own dominance in the hierarchy, since that's the only way they've ever known it.

I want to be clear: I think that is wrong.

But it was the first time it was explained to me in a way that made me understand where these people were coming from (obviously I have my own prejudices that I am working to overcome, which gives me a little insight into their view) and how Ford and Trump used these people.

The accusations Dok founded this thread on are not helping our cause much. They are founded accusations a lot of the time, but righteous indignation does not win battles by itself. Strategy does. Stepping away from the rhetoric to be a little objective about how we present ourselves could go a long long way.

I hope this is not interpreted as "stay in your place and be polite", as that is certainly not my intention.

And if I am flat out wrong, I am willing to learn why.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

The above post was typed out on my phone and my eyes are getting old. Apologies if there were any spellcheck surprises.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on June 14, 2018, 10:32:24 PM

The accusations Dok founded this thread on are not helping our cause much. They are founded accusations a lot of the time, but righteous indignation does not win battles by itself.

I am no longer concerned with winning battles.  I have seen the underside of enough buses.

Everyone is on their own, as far as I'm concerned, and can all go find their own hell in which to fry.

Like I said, I'm out.
Molon Lube

hooplala

I would also like to add that while I think NET has some good points early on in this thread, the ad hominems are not adding anything of value to the discussion.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 14, 2018, 10:41:49 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on June 14, 2018, 10:32:24 PM

The accusations Dok founded this thread on are not helping our cause much. They are founded accusations a lot of the time, but righteous indignation does not win battles by itself.

I am no longer concerned with winning battles.  I have seen the underside of enough buses.

Everyone is on their own, as far as I'm concerned, and can all go find their own hell in which to fry.

Like I said, I'm out.

Fair enough.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Chelagoras The Boulder

Its shit like this that makes me long for secession. This shit has been irreparably broken for decades now and All the systems put in place that could've possibly fixed it has also been smashed. I say let the West coast, New England, and Texas break off to do their own thing, and let Trump rule over the ashes. I say tear this clunker down for parts and start over.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on June 14, 2018, 11:14:44 PM
Its shit like this that makes me long for secession. This shit has been irreparably broken for decades now and All the systems put in place that could've possibly fixed it has also been smashed. I say let the West coast, New England, and Texas break off to do their own thing, and let Trump rule over the ashes. I say tear this clunker down for parts and start over.

I gotta ask, what makes you think your state would be smarter on its own?
Molon Lube