News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

I think it's time to write off the progressive demographic.

Started by Doktor Howl, May 29, 2018, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2018, 09:50:59 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on June 16, 2018, 07:31:20 AM

For the last few presidents, we have been electing more and more the candidate that will piss of the other side.

Which presidents did you have in mind?

Probably started with Clinton or Bush 2, with Clinton being a fairly normal reaction to 12 years of Republican presidents, then Bush 2 was some god awful shit for 8 years and probably the first true Revenge President (in recent times) then Barack (Hussein!!!) Obama was backlash from Bush, and now with Trump it just seems to be more about trolling than governing.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on June 26, 2018, 11:20:19 AM

For the last few presidents, we have been electing more and more the candidate that will piss of the other side.

Probably started with Clinton or Bush 2, with Clinton being a fairly normal reaction to 12 years of Republican presidents, then Bush 2 was some god awful shit for 8 years and probably the first true Revenge President (in recent times) then Barack (Hussein!!!) Obama was backlash from Bush, and now with Trump it just seems to be more about trolling than governing.

Obama was a different type of beast altogether.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

The election of Obama in 2008 was a moment when anything seemed possible. Then, of course, the America set in.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bruno

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 26, 2018, 04:43:51 PM

You don't think Because they'll hate him" was one of his major selling points?
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on June 26, 2018, 08:11:57 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 26, 2018, 04:43:51 PM

You don't think Because they'll hate him" was one of his major selling points?

No, not really.  I mostly think that was just an added bonus. 
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

LMNO

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on June 27, 2018, 06:50:05 AM
Soo... not to fan flames or nothing, but this happened.

https://thinkprogress.org/crowley-loses-primary-b7f702972f1c/

This is interesting, especially because the seat usually runs 70% Democrat, and the GOP nominee seems to have little to no chance to win, no matter who his opponent is; so essentially, last night's election was the deciding one (although, these days you never know since the voter can be stupid fickle).

But anyway, this is the way I've always thought it should go.  In the same way I always mock the Green party and the Libertarian party for only putting up candidates for the presidency and/or other more visible offices, shifting the Overton window starts at the bottom in, say, a congressional seat (though even that's a bit more visibility than I was expecting at first).  It also helps voter turnout in the midterms, since it underscores why it's important to vote in the off-years.

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on June 27, 2018, 04:46:37 PM
Update: https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/watch-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-refuses-take-cnn-anchors-bait-trash-democrats/

I love her.  This is EXACTLY what you do.  You fight to win, and you keep your eye on the prize.

She's not pandering to the progressives, she's stating her intent to represent them.  The berners will of course turn on her at some point, because bernie bros can't NOT turn on someone who won't piss away the election talking trash about the rest of the left.
Molon Lube

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 27, 2018, 06:09:11 PM
Update: https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/watch-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-refuses-take-cnn-anchors-bait-trash-democrats/

I love her.  This is EXACTLY what you do.  You fight to win, and you keep your eye on the prize.

She's not pandering to the progressives, she's stating her intent to represent them.  The berners will of course turn on her at some point, because bernie bros can't NOT turn on someone who won't piss away the election talking trash about the rest of the left.

Whatever happened to writing off progressives, eh?

:lulz:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

Quote from: N E T on July 01, 2018, 11:08:40 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 27, 2018, 06:09:11 PM

Whatever happened to writing off progressives, eh?

:lulz:

When I say "progressives" I am of course talking about bernie bro hipsters.
Molon Lube

LMNO

It's not just progressives: The moderate Democratic incumbent who lost to Ocasio-Ortez has decided not to take his name off the general election ballot.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2018, 09:36:08 PM
It's not just progressives: The moderate Democratic incumbent who lost to Ocasio-Ortez has decided not to take his name off the general election ballot.

From what I gather, he can't.  He claims he is not running, but that unless he dies, is convicted of a few specific crimes, or is elected to a different position, the petition that got him on the ballot keeps him on the ballot.

I don't know if that's true or not. 
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 12, 2018, 10:00:23 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2018, 09:36:08 PM

From what I gather, he can't.  He claims he is not running, but that unless he dies, is convicted of a few specific crimes, or is elected to a different position, the petition that got him on the ballot keeps him on the ballot.

I don't know if that's true or not.

The party whose ballot he is on have released a statement saying they wanted to have Ocasio-Ortez on the ballot, but because of some arcane election law, to do so the incumbent has to change his address to somewhere out of state...which given his family live out of state, should not pose a major problem.