News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

I think it's time to write off the progressive demographic.

Started by Doktor Howl, May 29, 2018, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2018, 10:40:12 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 12, 2018, 10:00:23 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2018, 09:36:08 PM
It's not just progressives: The moderate Democratic incumbent who lost to Ocasio-Ortez has decided not to take his name off the general election ballot.

From what I gather, he can't.  He claims he is not running, but that unless he dies, is convicted of a few specific crimes, or is elected to a different position, the petition that got him on the ballot keeps him on the ballot.

I don't know if that's true or not.

The party whose ballot he is on have released a statement saying they wanted to have Ocasio-Ortez on the ballot, but because of some arcane election law, to do so the incumbent has to change his address to somewhere out of state...which given his family live out of state, should not pose a major problem.

So this is sort of a passive-aggressive treason.  How depressingly 21st century.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

All of this being said, don't for one moment think I'm not going to screech laughter at the butthurt bernie bros.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

So, how's that "We'll survive four years of Trump and it will teach people to vote for Bernie" thing coming along?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2018, 04:04:09 AM
So, how's that "We'll survive four years of Trump and it will teach people to vote for Bernie" thing coming along?

As much as I wanted Bernie to win, I voted for Hillary. I think if you seriously tried to engage with Bernie bros who didn't vote, you'd hear hella regret.

But you're looking for justification to abuse people as usual, not a way forward, that's pretty clear.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

Quote from: N E T on July 21, 2018, 07:04:48 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2018, 04:04:09 AM

As much as I wanted Bernie to win, I voted for Hillary. I think if you seriously tried to engage with Bernie bros who didn't vote, you'd hear hella regret.

But you're looking for justification to abuse people as usual, not a way forward, that's pretty clear.

:lol:

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

so while we're writing off groups of liberals, can we also write off anyone who is fully aware that the campaign against James Gunn was orchestrated by the Alt-right, but still decries him and anyone who defends him, because apparently punishing someone for cringy tweets we already knew about ten years ago is somehow higher priority than NOT playing into the hands of Nazis?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 13, 2018, 10:05:32 PM
so while we're writing off groups of liberals, can we also write off anyone who is fully aware that the campaign against James Gunn was orchestrated by the Alt-right, but still decries him and anyone who defends him, because apparently punishing someone for cringy tweets we already knew about ten years ago is somehow higher priority than NOT playing into the hands of Nazis?

Who is James Gunn and why should I care?  I mean, because looking at it, he's a filmmaker who decided that rape/pedo jokes on twitter was a good idea.

Is he running for office?
Molon Lube

Faust

He made offensive jokes back in 2011, as was fashionable at the time, and apologized for it.
People now decided to be outraged over these, as is the fashion at this time.

Superhero films are puerile derivative trash, he broke the trend, once, with guardians of the galaxy and the rest of Disney's films started to copy that films formula, so much so that there was nothing creative left for him to do for the sequel, its for the best that they wont make a third.

He has been fired from Disney so hopefully he can go back to contributing to cinema as an artistic medium instead of hastening demise, or transformation into a factory of regurgitated ideas, each one tweaked just the slightest amount to pretend there is anything but a hollow shell to them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

And yes, the alt right set him up, and the progressives played their part in the outrage machine and everyone involved is culpable in the most boring tedious antidrama cycle that they have settled into.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 13, 2018, 10:44:37 PM
And yes, the alt right set him up, and the progressives played their part in the outrage machine and everyone involved is culpable in the most boring tedious antidrama cycle that they have settled into.

This all reminds me of a certain senator.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Al Franken, to be precise.  It was a vortex of failure and shame for everyone involved.

Mostly on account of how the Nazis know how to make us devour our own.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 13, 2018, 10:42:16 PM
Superhero films are puerile derivative trash,

Also, this should be engraved in Christopher Nolan's forehead.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

What pisses me off more than Gunn being fired in particular is the notion that this is the test run for a never-ending campaign of hitjobs like this.
And what pisses me off even more than that is that nobody wants to own up to the fact that this was always a flaw of call-out culture, and that while trying rapists and abusers in the court of public opinion is all well and good for people who otherwise would be untouchable, but can we all agree that shouldn't be the end goal? Like, isn't it time we started, y'know, fixing the legal system so victims can actually get justice? No? Just keep dragging celebrities cuz it makes us feel good? Well alright then.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 14, 2018, 05:25:36 AM
What pisses me off more than Gunn being fired in particular is the notion that this is the test run for a never-ending campaign of hitjobs like this.
And what pisses me off even more than that is that nobody wants to own up to the fact that this was always a flaw of call-out culture, and that while trying rapists and abusers in the court of public opinion is all well and good for people who otherwise would be untouchable, but can we all agree that shouldn't be the end goal? Like, isn't it time we started, y'know, fixing the legal system so victims can actually get justice? No? Just keep dragging celebrities cuz it makes us feel good? Well alright then.

That's not a flaw of call-out culture, it is the logical end result of call-out culture.  You may remember what went on here a couple of years ago.  That was basically a working model of what happened in the "real" world.  It was never, ever about justice.  It was about who the king-shit caller-outer was.  Who was the most morally pure tumblrista.

It took quite some time for me to stop being bitter about that.
Molon Lube