News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

I know you don't like excuses, but I have a really good one.

Started by Doktor Howl, June 12, 2018, 04:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

I may not have been easy to get along with around here.  I may not have been the best ally you could ask for, or even the best friend (allowing for different definition of 'friends'.)  I may have made you mad a few times or a million times.  I may have run some decent people off with the AKKs of the world (a lot of the decent people don't flounce, they just quietly leave.)  I could even be at least partially responsible for the fact that there are now like 10 regular users, and that includes the 3 basket cases.  I may have just called three people basket cases.

I may, I admit at least the possibility have been wrong about The Great Seriousness of 2015 (though I doubt it), I may be inflexible or vindictive in response to that Seriousness.  Hell, let's just be honest; I am both inflexible and vindictive about it.  I may still be; no, I AM.  There's no point putting on rose-colored glasses when you're the one offering excuses, right?  No.  You must hope that the recipients are doing so, because how often do people really CHANGE?  The answer is, of course, "all the time, only you usually don't see it because it takes so long."

I may even have started an entire excuse thread that lists only my alleged crimes, but nothing actually resembling an excuse for those crimes.

What can I say?  I'm a bastard.

Sincerely (sort of, but modified),
Dok
Molon Lube

LMNO

Is this the kinder, gentler Roger I've been hearing so much about?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 12, 2018, 04:51:12 PM

No, Roger was killed when he forgot his safe word during the Recent Unpleasantness.

Honestly, people.  When a man comes by to offer a non-excuse, the least you can do is not mistake him for some dead fucker that nobody really liked anyway.  Roger was laid to rest in the great plastic island in the pacific.  By which we mean, "we pushed the stiff out of the cargo door and wouldn't you know he managed to hit dead center."  Horrible, right?  He's basically interred in a mass of disposable diapers and water bottles.  And when the UV finally decays all of that plastic, centuries after we're gone, his immaculate and incorrupt body will just sort of float around like a message in a bottle.  You never know where it's going to turn up, though it won't really be the same if everyone is already dead and there's nobody to traumatize.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Ah, that's right.

I have a good excuse for the mix-up, but it's a secret.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 12, 2018, 05:04:55 PM
Ah, that's right.

I have a good excuse for the mix-up, but it's a secret.

I still think we need to do our own version of The All-Inclusive Excuse™.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Not sure what that is, but if we come up with it, then I'm sure I'll have an excuse why I didn't know about it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 12, 2018, 05:21:57 PM
Not sure what that is, but if we come up with it, then I'm sure I'll have an excuse why I didn't know about it.

The CotSG has a universal, all-encompassing excuse.  It's like a page long, says nothing, and winds up exonerating the bearer of all responsibility for anything whatsoever.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Oh HO!

Now I'm interested in leveraging my core competencies to do a solve on this mission-critical turnkey solution.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 12, 2018, 05:56:42 PM
Oh HO!

Now I'm interested in leveraging my core competencies to do a solve on this mission-critical turnkey solution.

I look forward to this.  You do the corporatese, and I'll have my contracts guy (who is one of us incidentally) throw legalese at it as well, and I will explain the SCIENCE.

Other input welcome.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 12, 2018, 07:11:34 PM
Thinly veiled Blatant threats?

Only if they're incoherent or so vague as to be meaningless.  Think of it as programmed passive aggressive threats.

Premium mediocrity.
Molon Lube

Faust

Isn't the clear answer to get some of those to come back, if they wanted to be here?

Sure you and Nigel had your reasons for falling out, conversely you are the two most stubborn people on the planet. Or Brenton, there isn't a bad bone in that lads body, I'm reading his book at the moment and its making me remember the energy and positivity Discordia had when we were really active.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 12, 2018, 04:57:57 PM

No, Roger was killed when he forgot his safe word during the Recent Unpleasantness.

Honestly, people.  When a man comes by to offer a non-excuse, the least you can do is not mistake him for some dead fucker that nobody really liked anyway.  Roger was laid to rest in the great plastic island in the pacific.  By which we mean, "we pushed the stiff out of the cargo door and wouldn't you know he managed to hit dead center."  Horrible, right?  He's basically interred in a mass of disposable diapers and water bottles.  And when the UV finally decays all of that plastic, centuries after we're gone, his immaculate and incorrupt body will just sort of float around like a message in a bottle.  You never know where it's going to turn up, though it won't really be the same if everyone is already dead and there's nobody to traumatize.

This is sad. Surely all of that back hair is more dangerous to sea life than the entirety of the trash island.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 13, 2018, 11:38:38 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 12, 2018, 04:57:57 PM

This is sad. Surely all of that back hair is more dangerous to sea life than the entirety of the trash island.

:lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on June 13, 2018, 09:13:21 AM
Isn't the clear answer to get some of those to come back, if they wanted to be here?

Sure you and Nigel had your reasons for falling out, conversely you are the two most stubborn people on the planet. Or Brenton, there isn't a bad bone in that lads body, I'm reading his book at the moment and its making me remember the energy and positivity Discordia had when we were really active.

Brenton's very first interaction with me, years and years ago when the first few intermittens were happening, was to hand me a really, really nasty slam on my writing.  Polite as hell, but polite the way a pile of rattlesnakes is polite...and it didn't get any better after that.  He may be a nice guy, but I have never seen it.  In fact, from my point of view, there aren't any GOOD bones in his body, either.  He sort of slithers all over the place.

As for Nigel, it's beyond "stubborn" or "angry" or even "hate".  It's just that 9 years of destructive conditioning was plenty, to be honest, and there is no remaining basis for anything resembling friendship or even civility.  Hasn't been any since 2010 if we're being honest about it.  Not to say that Nigel isn't smart, she taught me plenty...Not least of which, she taught me why abused people will keep forgiving their abuser, until one day they don't.  So it's not stubbornness that's the problem.

I'm all about being active, but I am not sure we could be active in exactly the same manner we were active in before.  After all, it was Nigel that slung the million ton ball of shit while I was trying to propose a new form for this board LAST time we talked about being active.
Molon Lube