News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Rev Roger Sermon #21: Leeetttts get ready to Rummmmmmble!

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 29, 2003, 11:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Commander

I like pie?   :cry:

I think the "information revolution" is a pretty good example of how fast things can change, for good or bad.  20 years ago the internet and the impact of computers on your average joe was minimal.  Now look at things.  A life without them is inconcievable to most, particularly to the generation that grew up with them.  

I'm not saying that a revolution will occur in the next 20 years, but it is certainly a possibility.

The Commander
DIA[/b]
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

SMFabal

Been in the backwoods recently? Socially, very little has changed. Our Government won't change. Only PEOPLE can change, and few if any change willingly.

My hope is that people can someday really NOT UNDERSTAND why different skin colors meant differnt rights. When there is a WORLD GOVERNMENT dedicated to ALL PEOPLE. Sadly I think the only way that will happen is by discriminating against an extraterrestrial race.

Four thousand years ago, leaders knew to unite people required an outside threat. Egyptians(2000BCE) hated Babylonians and Hebrews. Romans(500BCE) hated Germans. Monguls (1000AD) hated everyone. If you have managed to chage this underlying facet of human psychology, let me know. Why, even Discoprdians are given a enemy to fear and hate!

No, I don't huddle down in fear. I don't take a sniper rifle and start hunting politicians. I just be who I am. And I try very hard not to hate or fear anyone - even our own Government.
SMFabal, High Pope of CoCK, PSP, CW, KSC, FP, GH, MORBJ

Q: How serious are you about this whole "Discordian" thing?
A: A blue fish Tuesday!
Q: No really, it this, like, deeply philosphical, or just a huge joke?
A: Yes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SMFabalI don't take a sniper rifle and start hunting politicians.

WTF are you talking about?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

SMFabal

Quote from: The CommanderI like pie?   :cry:

I think the "information revolution" is a pretty good example of how fast things can change, for good or bad.  20 years ago the internet and the impact of computers on your average joe was minimal.  Now look at things.  A life without them is inconcievable to most, particularly to the generation that grew up with them.  

I'm not saying that a revolution will occur in the next 20 years, but it is certainly a possibility.

The Commander
DIA[/b]

Yes Commander, the "Information Revolution" has changed our world. But I refer to a socio-political revolution that has yet to occur, specifically the unifying of international law codes. The Social change brought about by the internet and computers has only just barley begun.

Trollax

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerBullshit.  A whole lot can be accomplished in a lot less than 20 years...and In my 35+ years on this planet, I have seen some examples.

Now, your solution would be what?  Duck your head, and wait til it all blows over?

Lotsa luck.

See roger... this is why I like you... We have similar ideals and differend methods of employment... We don't tear each other's heads off either (mind you mine is detachable) see. In six months it's already working.
I don't think it need take 100's of years... If It did, we'd remember past lives because our behaviour would take so long to alter... It's been 6 years for me... Still going... 20 years for your good self there... it's just a question of getting people to willingly (not forcing them as some would have us believe) unplug from the machine... But reaching that place is the problem... and there are so many competing theories... that's right COMPETING... because our pattern-seeking brains have this feedback loop that tends to exclude other possibilities...

It takes innovation to think of something different and audacity to do something differently ~Jonar C. Nader~

~Audacious Trollax~

Geno0561

Perhaps this great apocalypse can be avoided if we all join the mantrain?
Geno: The Path Is Grey

SMFabal

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger

Oswald. Hinkley. Idiots like them. The opposite extreme of taking no action: taking far too much uncontrolled action.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SMFabal

Oswald. Hinkley. Idiots like them. The opposite extreme of taking no action: taking far too much uncontrolled action.

You are deliberately misunderstanding me.  Read the first few posts in this thread again (between me & St Hugh).  

Why do you assume that I am implying violence?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. TrollaxSee roger... this is why I like you... We have similar ideals and differend methods of employment... We don't tear each other's heads off either (mind you mine is detachable) see. In six months it's already working.
I don't think it need take 100's of years... If It did, we'd remember past lives because our behaviour would take so long to alter... It's been 6 years for me... Still going... 20 years for your good self there... it's just a question of getting people to willingly (not forcing them as some would have us believe) unplug from the machine... But reaching that place is the problem... and there are so many competing theories... that's right COMPETING... because our pattern-seeking brains have this feedback loop that tends to exclude other possibilities...

It takes innovation to think of something different and audacity to do something differently ~Jonar C. Nader~

~Audacious Trollax~

You modern Discordians are too cerebral for me.

We've gone from tossing wrenches in the gears to TALKING ABOUT IT.

ON THE INTERNET.

(That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but it seems that the othos was changed since I was introduced to Eris.

I'm not sure the change is for the better...Discordianism welcomes change, but a change which neuters it is not, IMO, a desirable thing.

The Commander

Yes Commander, the "Information Revolution" has changed our world. But I refer to a socio-political revolution that has yet to occur, specifically the unifying of international law codes. The Social change brought about by the internet and computers has only just barley begun.

SMFabal,

I think I will have to disagree with you.  I think the socio-political revolution you speak of IS happening.  It is not something that is occuring with a huge explosion of change, but is more gradual, specifically when it comes to the unification of international law codes.  The European Union is a prime example.  In order to join countries have to adhere to specific codes of laws and regulations. Soon, almost the entirety of the European continent will be living under a single systems of laws and regulations, which will in turn affect the social dynamics of person to person interaction.  This is a huge step from where things were 20 years ago.    

I will agree with you that the change brought about by the internet and computers has barely begun.  However, seeing how much our society has changed in such a short time due to the internet, computers, and technology in general leaves me in slack-jawed anticipation of what is to come.  These things have impacted us on a myriad of levels.  Socialy we interact differently, government is run differently, we communicate differently, we wage war differently, science is explored differently and we entertain ourselves differently.  What all of us are doing here on this board is a prime example.  This would not have been possible 15 to 20 years ago.

Ultimately this does not change the fact that I like pie.

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

SMFabal

Quote from: SMFabal

You are deliberately misunderstanding me.  Read the first few posts in this thread again (between me & St Hugh).  

Why do you assume that I am implying violence?
I didn't. The simple fact is, St Hugh DID. I know you don't like violence, Reverend. Unfortuantly, it is the first thing people see when we call for revolution. Or breaking down the machine.

I just think its more important to help Greyfaces and Sheople see the gears around them than tring to stop the gears of the machine. You grow a following, which could take generations, and the following can simply walk out of the machine and never look back.

And while I'm on the subject of the Machine, I'm still a little in the dark about what you mean by it. Please, I really do want to understand you point of view, but I'm (obviously) just not getting it. What is the Machine?

SMFabal

Quote from: The Commander

SMFabal,

I think I will have to disagree with you.  I think the socio-political revolution you speak of IS happening.  It is not something that is occuring with a huge explosion of change, but is more gradual, specifically when it comes to the unification of international law codes.  The European Union is a prime example.  In order to join countries have to adhere to specific codes of laws and regulations. Soon, almost the entirety of the European continent will be living under a single systems of laws and regulations, which will in turn affect the social dynamics of person to person interaction.  This is a huge step from where things were 20 years ago.    

I will agree with you that the change brought about by the internet and computers has barely begun.  However, seeing how much our society has changed in such a short time due to the internet, computers, and technology in general leaves me in slack-jawed anticipation of what is to come.  These things have impacted us on a myriad of levels.  Socialy we interact differently, government is run differently, we communicate differently, we wage war differently, science is explored differently and we entertain ourselves differently.  What all of us are doing here on this board is a prime example.  This would not have been possible 15 to 20 years ago.

Ultimately this does not change the fact that I like pie.

The Commander
DIA
Actually, the governmet is not run any differently except that we have instant information everytime someone in the Government does something silly. Before TV/PC's, this would have tended to be overwealmed by little things like new laws, policy changes, criminal justice, you know, little things like that.

The EU, yes, that's a start. So was NAFTA. When Russia ever stabalizes, and Asian countries start joining together, we'll have a real start. When everyone is using the internet and PC technology stablizes, we'll have a real start. The Urban Combat Suit (scheduled for release 2020) will deeply change the way wars are fought. But none of that has happened yet.

Yes, there is a revolution happening. But until the technology it is based on stabalizes, the real changes cannot occur.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SMFabalI didn't. The simple fact is, St Hugh DID. I know you don't like violence, Reverend. Unfortuantly, it is the first thing people see when we call for revolution. Or breaking down the machine.

I just think its more important to help Greyfaces and Sheople see the gears around them than tring to stop the gears of the machine. You grow a following, which could take generations, and the following can simply walk out of the machine and never look back.

And while I'm on the subject of the Machine, I'm still a little in the dark about what you mean by it. Please, I really do want to understand you point of view, but I'm (obviously) just not getting it. What is the Machine?

1.  I am 99.5% sure St Hugh was joking.

2.  The greyfaces will not listen.  That is why they are greyfaces.

3.  The Machine?  It will take some explaining.  Expect sermon #22 between now and tomorrow night.

Official

If the machine cannot make toast for us, smash it!
Official Guest, Pirate, Ninja, Bastard, and Shit-Stirrer, at your service. (Purple Monkey Cabal)

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: SMFabalI didn't. The simple fact is, St Hugh DID. I know you don't like violence, Reverend. Unfortuantly, it is the first thing people see when we call for revolution. Or breaking down the machine.

1.  I am 99.5% sure St Hugh was joking.

2.  The greyfaces will not listen.  That is why they are greyfaces.

3.  The Machine?  It will take some explaining.  Expect sermon #22 between now and tomorrow night.

Yeah. I was joking about the violence. I am actually non-violent. Though I do think that for us mostly comfortable denizens of prosperous western societies to denounce revolutionaries because of violence is symptomatic of our arrogance. I do believe that in cases of survival one must use any means necessary. One could argue and state all those truisms about how we as a species should get beyond that shit...but until one faces gunfire or bombings or military occupation or genocide, don't knock those who choose to fight by violence. It is easy to make judgements from our internet discussion groups while in the relative comfort of our own homes.
There are real power dynamics out there that cause the untold suffering of billions of people. When the power dynamics change, the violence can lessen....maybe.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"