News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Immigration Nutbaggery Thread

Started by Doktor Howl, July 02, 2018, 07:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

What bothers me isn't so much that someone is giving these orders, it's that there are boots on the ground who are executing them, understanding fully what they're doing.

Sure, you can break this sort of operation into smallish chunks, for which no-one needs to feel responsible.  "I just set up the tents, it's not up to me what they're being used for".  "I'm just the bus driver.  Who the passengers are or where they're going has nothing to do with me".  But somewhere out there are people who are waking children up in the middle of the night and putting them on buses, knowing full well what's happening, and that's horrifying.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 30, 2018, 06:22:08 PM
What bothers me isn't so much that someone is giving these orders, it's that there are boots on the ground who are executing them, understanding fully what they're doing.

Sure, you can break this sort of operation into smallish chunks, for which no-one needs to feel responsible.  "I just set up the tents, it's not up to me what they're being used for".  "I'm just the bus driver.  Who the passengers are or where they're going has nothing to do with me".  But somewhere out there are people who are waking children up in the middle of the night and putting them on buses, knowing full well what's happening, and that's horrifying.

Authoritarianism has never been hampered by a lack of goons.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who can rationalize any level of evil idiocy.
Molon Lube

Suu

"I was just following orders."
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Suu on October 01, 2018, 01:29:51 PM

"I was just following orders."

:enough:

Cain

I can't link, because the LA Times doesn't allow people in Europe to read their website ("we're going to build a firewall...because we're too lazy to implement GDPR") but now the White House is going after Vietnamese immigrants.

So Trump wants to throw out a reliably pro-Republican voting bloc that has been in the US, in some cases, for over 40 years, that Vietman is refusing to take in, because "icky foreigners". 

I would assume that at this point no-one is safe.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

As I recall, weren't evangelical agencies taking the lead in adoptions for these kids as well?

This is the kind of shit the Catholic Church is having to apologise for doing 80 years ago now.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 10, 2018, 12:29:16 AM
As I recall, weren't evangelical agencies taking the lead in adoptions for these kids as well?

This is the kind of shit the Catholic Church is having to apologise for doing 80 years ago now.

Didn't they spend the better part of a century stealing kids in Spain or something?
Molon Lube

Cain

Yes, as well as parts of South America.  I seem to recall some scandals in Canada too. 

In Spain specifically I recall that they were taken from "politically unreliable" families...

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Cain on October 10, 2018, 02:18:49 AM
I seem to recall some scandals in Canada too. 

The Sixties Scoop, and before that, the residential school system.

The residential school system removed aboriginal children from their families and placed them in compulsory boarding schools (most of them Catholic), in an attempt to assimilate them into Canadian culture.  At least 3000 deaths are attributed to poor conditions in these schools.

With the Sixties Scoop, the children were placed in foster homes or up for adoption, rather than being placed in boarding schools.

Cain

Faust

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 10, 2018, 02:48:57 AM

The residential school system removed aboriginal children from their families and placed them in compulsory boarding schools (most of them Catholic), in an attempt to assimilate them into Canadian culture.  At least 3000 deaths are attributed to poor conditions in these schools.

With the Sixties Scoop, the children were placed in foster homes or up for adoption, rather than being placed in boarding schools.

I remember these, the kids were forced to take on catholic names, forget about their culture and in some cases were handed to catholic couples and told to forget their parents.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on October 10, 2018, 11:16:55 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 10, 2018, 02:48:57 AM

I remember these, the kids were forced to take on catholic names, forget about their culture and in some cases were handed to catholic couples and told to forget their parents.

And in many cases forbidden from speaking their native languages.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube