Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Being a little wrong to be completely right

Started by Jackie, December 04, 2019, 01:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jackie on December 04, 2019, 02:36:03 PM
Quote from: CramulusWerner Herzog
The only thing I had heard of him was in relation to Pokémon Go. His work sounds quite... interesting. While I don't know if I'd favor a world where all documentaries are in his style, I think we're better off having some. I think that in a way, in being disonest he gains a different form of honesty, because no piece of media can truly be free of influence from its creator, and he's upfront about that.

EDIT: Also, are you the "Cram" that The Johnny had referred to?

Cram is a bad person, held only in check by his beautiful fiance, to whom the entire world owes a debt of gratitude.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

I don't think you're grasping at straws; I think you smell the Discordian spirit.

Which means She was here---and She left her dirty laundry everywhere.

and yes, they call me Cram for short, but that's because my full holy name is too powerful

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on December 04, 2019, 02:50:24 PM
I don't think you're grasping at straws; I think you smell the Discordian spirit.

Which means She was here---and She left her dirty laundry everywhere.

and yes, they call me Cram for short, but that's because my full holy name is too powerful

Also, it attracts the feds' search engines.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I was under the impression that Verite was abandoned as objectivity, as someone observed (was it James Baldwin?) that the act of pointing the camera was already making a choice of what to exclude from the presented reality, which makes the film just as subjective as anything else.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on December 04, 2019, 03:37:00 PM
I was under the impression that Verite was abandoned as objectivity, as someone observed (was it James Baldwin?) that the act of pointing the camera was already making a choice of what to exclude from the presented reality, which makes the film just as subjective as anything else.

This issue was solved when Busta Rhymes invented the 360 degree fish eye lens.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on December 04, 2019, 03:37:00 PM

yeah - I'm not terribly well read on the theory-discussion, but that was part of the debate - you can never really have an objective point of view, but the Cimena Verite people thought you should try to get as close as possible.

I'm not entirely clear on what the difference is, these days, between a documentarist and a journalist.