How sad
and how utterly normal

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

I like that it's a totally different poem if you don't read the title

Q. G. Pennyworth

Fujikoma

It's great, but I must add that most of these jackasses do everything they can to ensure they'll never be worthy of the love and affection of another, then they blame chad or stacy, completely ignoring their own toxic ignorance.

Cramulus

:mittens:

I love what you've done there.

It reminds me of the Contrapoints video about Incels. She approaches with a soft touch - an attempt to understand, rather than mock. And to recognize that all this hateful behavior is fueled by an inner pain - and maybe the key to getting the incels to soften up is to recognize and understand that pain, rather than just dismissing it. Because we're all living in this 21st century Death Machine together, and it's grinding all of us in different ways.

I like how in this piece, you recognize the pain, and then disenchant it.

Because for those suffering that pain, they've rationalized it and justified it. Now they identify with it, just like all of us begin to identify with the ways we're crucified by the Empire. And they think that suffering makes them unique or noble, it lets them see things "how they really are".

But it is not the pain of the martyr

these are not the trials of the revolutionary, the messianic figure.

It is an every day pain
an every day loneliness

and if they recognized that
maybe it wouldn't transform them

Faust

I love that contrapoints video, I've only really started watching her videos a couple of months back, was my RPG group introduced me to them.

I doubt they will be able to recognise that their pain isn't the pain of the leading man in some kind of Holywood drama.
Because the alternative, that that loneliness is every day, is normal and mundane, is horrifying to them because the only way to quell it, is to be comfortable and abide in that state.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

altered

Really just want to say that ContraPoints should be handled at arms length and with great reluctance.

She got caught supporting Buck Angel, a trans man who is insanely misogynistic.

A sampler: stalked, harassed and outed a trans woman in the hopes (he said this) that she would be murdered. No remorse.

This was before ContraPoints included him in one of her videos, by the by.

Also she shits all over non-binary people and pretends they're just going through a phase, so, you know, awful person from a few different angles. Best you could say is she probably knows her subject matter, being a horrible person like those she talks about.

Shun her.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

Her videos are really well made, clear to understand from a non-trans persons point of view and shows really rounded critical thinking, and they are entertaining and funny.

I wont be shunning her for the same reason I would have preferred Kevin Spacey to be in the final season of House of Cards.
Because I enjoy it.

I'm not disputing any of what you have said null, but unless I was directly involved in or exposed to those things it is not my experience of her.

I no longer subscribe to Cancel Culture and use the same approach for all artists: if she has something interesting to say in a way I like I will continue to do so until she does not.

Faust: Listening to Gary Glitters Rock And Roll Part 2 since that movie last month because it's an awesome song, but would likely beat him within an inch of his life if ever put in a room with him.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

I am not against canceling, but on a strictly personal level.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

I linked to her because I think the posture / attitude she uses to discuss contentious issues and the cultural rift is really effective

and QGs excellent writing felt like it was part of the same chord

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 04, 2019, 04:32:54 PM

This, basically.

A lot of people aren't really aware of what is bad about ContraPoints, so I definitely am trying to give them information they can use to make that decision themselves.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on December 04, 2019, 06:02:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 04, 2019, 04:32:54 PM

This, basically.

A lot of people aren't really aware of what is bad about ContraPoints, so I definitely am trying to give them information they can use to make that decision themselves.

I gotta go with Faust on this one, though.  I will still listen to David Bowie, for example, though if he were alive, I would never want to meet him.
Molon Lube

altered

Sure, and that's your thing, and that's fine.

My point was more "here are reasons not to". I don't expect to change anyone's mind here, this isn't a place to evangelize, unless you're using your ass to do it. I may have come across more forceful than that, but I think my reasons and my history explain why that would be the case. The intent was milder and I'm not going to call you all shitgoblins for not following my lead.

I might call Cramulus a shitgoblin anyway, but that's for the Eastern Terror of 2019 more than for his opinions. I can't be expected to forget the entire truck of radioactive 'stache catching fire or the subsequent mutant Buddhists climbing buildings and howling for the end of dukkha. Nor can I be expected to FORGIVE.

Frontside Back

So is this too a toxic internet community that will ruin my mental health?
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."