News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

H.R. 6054: Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018

Started by Bruno, July 11, 2018, 06:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr6054

"To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide penalty enhancements for committing certain offenses while in disguise, and for other purposes."

Punch a Nazi while wearing a hanky over your face, go to jail for no more than 15 years.
Formerly something else...

The Wizard Joseph

So... wearing a mask makes a relatively minor assault and possibly battery into a major possible prison sentence... FUCK! This is bullshit.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Luckily, the bill is still in committee, with an estimated 20% chance of becoming law, as per Skopos.

The guy who wrote/sponsored this bill is Daniel Donovan Jr (R-NY).  He's up for re-election this year.  His opponent is Boyd Nelson.

The co-sponsors are:
Ted Budd (R-NC), also up for re-election against Kathy Manning.  Fun fact: Budd's campaign pulled a URL troll against her, buying www.kathymanningforcongress.com which doles out misinformation about her.

Paul Gosar (R-AZ).  Primaries are August 28.

Peter King (R-NY).  His opponent is Liuba Grechen Shirley, and there's a chance she'll beat him.

Anyway, for those who will be sharing this bill, it might be helpful to provide the above information so people can do more than just be gobsmacked and pissed off.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2018, 02:21:36 PM
Luckily, the bill is still in committee, with an estimated 20% chance of becoming law, as per Skopos.

The guy who wrote/sponsored this bill is Daniel Donovan Jr (R-NY).  He's up for re-election this year.  His opponent is Boyd Nelson.

The co-sponsors are:
Ted Budd (R-NC), also up for re-election against Kathy Manning.  Fun fact: Budd's campaign pulled a URL troll against her, buying www.kathymanningforcongress.com which doles out misinformation about her.

Peter King (R-NY).  His opponent is Liuba Grechen Shirley, and there's a chance she'll beat him.

Anyway, for those who will be sharing this bill, it might be helpful to provide the above information so people can do more than just be gobsmacked and pissed off.

Thank you.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Bruno

Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2018, 02:21:36 PM

The co-sponsors are:

Nice. Thanks LMNO.

Skopos looks interesting. Is that something you have access to through work?
Formerly something else...

bpseudopod

Specifically, it criminalizes one who "injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates" anyone while wearing a mask.
It has a specific exemption for police officers, and also increases the penalty for vandalizing or damaging anything on the water by two more years. I'm not a lawyer. How exactly are "oppression", "threats", and "intimidation" defined in the law? Depending on how loose the definition is, I could see this being used to mass convict entire protests, not just black blocs and similar—is a group of Muslim women wearing veils or headdresses "in disguise?"

Obviously, the specific targeting of antifa is worth being upset about, but there runs a deeper logic to this bill, which is why I fear it'll gain broad support in Congress. The point of wearing a mask is to subvert police surveillance, and neither party shies away from a police state. (The Dems pay lip service to BLM, but their hearts aren't in it, and they don't have a majority anyways.) Black Bloc movements are usually accompanied by some property damage, so crimes, righteous or not, are being committed, and empowering police to punish crimes isn't exactly a hard thing to sell, whether to politicians or to voters. Recall that the official state ideology is "peaceful protest" within an encircling set of parameters, and this is pushed on, well, anyone who went to public school. The people that aren't outright hostile to antifa are mostly at best ambivalent about the "violent methods" they're associated with.

Frankly, I'm surprised this law wasn't passed decades ago.

Does anyone know anything about other anti-mask laws in state or municipal codes? (I'd ask a lawyer, but I don't know any.)

Cain

By naming it the "Unmasking Antifa" bill, this pure virtue signalling from legislators.

If they had wanted it to pass with bipartisan support, they'd have named it something else, then used it to go after antifa and black bloc groups.  This is just base pandering, perhaps with a mix of trialing "anti-Antifa" sentiment for the 2018 elections.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: bpseudopod on July 13, 2018, 02:41:35 AM
Frankly, I'm surprised this law wasn't passed decades ago.

This must come as a great relief to you, then.
Molon Lube