News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

The New Wave

Started by Cramulus, July 17, 2018, 01:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: Noble on February 22, 2019, 10:08:20 PM
The issue I have with this forum in particular is that it's misleading.
The Discordian Society/The Eristocracy is so designed that any individual may begin their own sect/cabal and do as they please within that sect. This forum, instead has chosen to name itself after the entirety of the Principia, which makes one believe that the entirety of Discordianism is nothing but a bunch of angry old hippies yelling about bashing the fash.

Let me know if you find a Discordian gathering space which represents "the entirety of Discordianism". Do the facebook groups with names like "The Discordian Society" seem like a fair representation, to you?

I'm disappointed we don't meet your expectations about how Discordians should behave.  Tell you what, paint us a picture, and I'll cheerfully flog myself into shape.

also

& I'm disturbed by your cat's penis
           and offer condolences

It would be a hoot if people spontaneously behaved in a way that created a perfect little advertisement for Discordia, but we got laid off back in like... 2012.

QuoteIt's a problem in that it turns many people who don't follow those beliefs away from Discordianism.

Eris don't give a flying babyshit if my gnostic experience can be digested by others

it was a personal gift

QuoteJust because you don't expect serious people to fit as well with Discordianism, such an opinion is one you shouldn't share.
Discordianism is designed to be decentralized, It's a religion and not a political ideology.

No--Discordianism is a bike

Bobby Wilson warned us to be on guard against the thought police born of our own thoughts

he didn't equate freedom with indifference

Define yourself as you wish, but don't claim to speak for everybody.

who claimed to speak for everybody? most of the longterm users of this forum have torn each other to kibble ten times over.

:rbtg:

:wank:

Noble

QuoteLet me know if you find a Discordian gathering space which represents "the entirety of Discordianism". Do the facebook groups with names like "The Discordian Society" seem like a fair representation, to you?
if you have this question then i don't think you understood. The point is that the principia itself can be interpreted in many ways and that said interpretations should be channeled into subgroups, aka sects/cabals, this website didn't do that and instead co-opted it to serve their own views, now you realize there's people with other views and a thread like this gets created where you start to worry about people not following your specific branch of discordianism.
Never used facebook, wouldn't know.

QuoteEris don't give a flying babyshit if my gnostic experience can be digested by others
Eris doesn't give a flying fuck about you in general, but that's just what my pineal gland told me.

Quotewho claimed to speak for everybody?
I'd say naming your website after the book and forcing your interpretation on said book into said website is pretty fuckin defining of speaking for said book therefore misleading everybody. A small website with a rational explanation such as the likes of hyperdiscordia.church would be more defining.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Noble on February 23, 2019, 03:34:43 AM
if you have this question then i don't think you understood. The point is that the principia itself can be interpreted in many ways and that said interpretations should be channeled into subgroups, aka sects/cabals, this website didn't do that and instead co-opted it to serve their own views, now you realize there's people with other views and a thread like this gets created where you start to worry about people not following your specific branch of discordianism.

And here you are, telling us that we're doing it wrong.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I fucking hate irony.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I'd say naming your website after the book and forcing your interpretation on said book into said website is pretty fuckin defining of speaking for said book therefore misleading everybody. A small website with a rational explanation such as the likes of hyperdiscordia.church would be more defining.

Okay, I get it.  This is like wossname that decided HE wanted the domain name on account of he deserved it more.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Jesus, it's been a long time since this has happened.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

also, I put in hyperdiscordia.church and my antivirus software shat on the floor while making whooping noises.

This is why I hire Australians to do my antivirus thingies.
Molon Lube

Cain

There's a certain hilarity in someone getting so wound up over a site none of us actually named.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 23, 2019, 03:49:11 AM

Okay, I get it.  This is like wossname that decided HE wanted the domain name on account of he deserved it more.

Okay, Dok, now I'm finally interested.

Tell me more about this particular chapter in Discordian History.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 23, 2019, 03:57:44 AM
There's a certain hilarity in someone getting so wound up over a site none of us actually named.

:lol:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Brother Mythos on February 23, 2019, 03:59:33 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 23, 2019, 03:49:11 AM

Okay, Dok, now I'm finally interested.

Tell me more about this particular chapter in Discordian History.

We have had, at least twice, random lunatics come on board and demand the domain name because Eris told them they deserved it more, and besides, we're doin' it wrong.  If I remember correctly, one of them made principiadiscordia.org.  Or stole it from someone else.

This may make three.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Cain, do you remember who the one dude was that outright demanded the domain name?
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

The point is that the principia itself can be interpreted in many ways and that said interpretations should be channeled into subgroups, aka sects/cabals, this website didn't do that and instead co-opted it to serve their own views, now you realize there's people with other views and a thread like this gets created where you start to worry about people not following your specific branch of discordianism.

What views, *specifically*, do you think this website espouses, and what contrary views, *specifically* do you think deserve more exposure?  Concrete examples only.  If this is just some abstract, hypothetical objection to this site being less crowd-editable than a wiki, well....go create a wiki or something.  principiadiscordia.net isn't registered.  Knock yourself out.

At the moment, it feels like you're just yelling "Help, I'm being repressed", but you're not being clear on who's repressing you, how they're repressing you, or what they're repressing you for.  Frankly, I think you're either a naif, or a B-level troll.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 23, 2019, 04:03:36 AM
Cain, do you remember who the one dude was that outright demanded the domain name?

I'm not sure, I'd have to go archive diving. I'm thinking it was 2008-9 though?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 23, 2019, 04:17:32 AM
The point is that the principia itself can be interpreted in many ways and that said interpretations should be channeled into subgroups, aka sects/cabals, this website didn't do that and instead co-opted it to serve their own views, now you realize there's people with other views and a thread like this gets created where you start to worry about people not following your specific branch of discordianism.

What views, *specifically*, do you think this website espouses, and what contrary views, *specifically* do you think deserve more exposure?  Concrete examples only.  If this is just some abstract, hypothetical objection to this site being less crowd-editable than a wiki, well....go create a wiki or something.  principiadiscordia.net isn't registered.  Knock yourself out.

At the moment, it feels like you're just yelling "Help, I'm being repressed", but you're not being clear on who's repressing you, how they're repressing you, or what they're repressing you for.  Frankly, I think you're either a naif, or a B-level troll.

After 2005, fighting the power here has been a never-ending line of tragically hip wasters.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 23, 2019, 04:22:49 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 23, 2019, 04:03:36 AM

I'm not sure, I'd have to go archive diving. I'm thinking it was 2008-9 though?

Not worth the effort, really, it was just fun remember that happened.
Molon Lube