News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

The New Wave

Started by Cramulus, July 17, 2018, 01:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 24, 2019, 11:02:25 PM
There's a part of me that's ready to just do some shity marketing for a living. Why fight the course of the universe?

Always remember that you are fortunate if you can say this. If I don't fight the course of the universe, it will kill me.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: nullified on February 24, 2019, 11:12:09 PM
There's a part of me that's ready to just do some shity marketing for a living. Why fight the course of the universe?

Always remember that you are fortunate if you can say this. If I don't fight the course of the universe, it will kill me.

I'd like to point out that it will kill you either way.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 24, 2019, 11:19:19 PM
Quote from: nullified on February 24, 2019, 11:12:09 PM

I'd like to point out that it will kill you either way.

It's a difference in how painful, demeaning and drawn out.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

I'd like to point out that we have a ration system for misery and you will all wait your turn.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 25, 2019, 12:51:05 AM
I'd like to point out that we have a ration system for misery and you will all wait your turn.

If I cut in line, do I go to the back or the front?

Don Coyote

Quote from: nullified on February 25, 2019, 01:18:24 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 25, 2019, 12:51:05 AM

If I cut in line, do I go to the back or the front?

Yes

LMNO

From the CTC:

Quote from: The Chao te Ching, Chapter 41Some hear about Discordia, and plot against the Machine™.
Some hear about Discordia, and think about it at great length.
Some hear about Discordia, and decide it means they should get high and doodle.
If it weren't for those spags, Discordia wouldn't be as interesting as it is.

Order appears calming and sensible.
Disorder appears unsettling and unstable.
Doubt appears ignorant.
Certainty appears true.
Aggression appears confident.
Mirth appears uncaring.
Horror appears powerless.
All these are lies.

Uncertainty reveals itself as a narrow footbridge,
but with its heart in Chaos, the path is clear.

hooplala

Quote from: Noble on February 22, 2019, 10:08:20 PM
Hark, beware for there be rantings ahead.

I made this account to reply to this post. To do so, I had to wait two days before my account was even accepted.
It's obvious this community, PrincipiaDiscordia.com doesn't see many outsiders with differing opinions, because it's such a hassle to even get through.
Talking with others online, this website is often seen as a safe space for left-wing leaning Discordians.
I don't know anything more chaotic than disturbing the disorder within Discordianism with more order, as it keeps the Sacred Chao balanced, if anything, there's too little order.
It gives a different perspective to things, as Discordianism is a religion with a lot of followers and documentation, yet to this day nobody knows what to make of it, which perfectly defines it.

The issue I have with this forum in particular is that it's misleading.
The Discordian Society/The Eristocracy is so designed that any individual may begin their own sect/cabal and do as they please within that sect. This forum, instead has chosen to name itself after the entirety of the Principia, which makes one believe that the entirety of Discordianism is nothing but a bunch of angry old hippies yelling about bashing the fash.
It's a problem in that it turns many people who don't follow those beliefs away from Discordianism.
Just because you don't expect serious people to fit as well with Discordianism, such an opinion is one you shouldn't share.
Discordianism is designed to be decentralized, It's a religion and not a political ideology.

Personally, I'm a very serious person and take Discordianism very seriously, just because it seems so fiction-like.
Anyone may have any reason to like Hailing Eris, speaking ill of others because you claim them to have a bad influence on your religion is selfish.
Anyone who has read the Principia may choose to regard or disregard any other self-proclaimed Discordian works if they so please. Even POEE is merely one manifestation of the Discordian Society, anyone may rewrite a version of it at will, but when you do, choose a different name. Everybody should know their views to be purely subjective, and not apply them to the entirety of Discordianism, for it itself holds no inherent meaning but the various sects, cabals and undergroups that inhabit it.
If I so choose I may disregard any word Adam Gorightly has ever said about Discordianism, because frankly I believe Malaclypse to have had further secret intentions that were not shared by his peers.

Discordianism is both a religion and an irreligion, existing in a paradoxical position of being both serious and a joke at the same time. It is the Camus definition of the Acceptance of the Absurd, while retaining its likeness of Religion.
Define yourself as you wish, but don't claim to speak for everybody.

Hail Eris

If this site discourages discordians who favor fascism, I am personally comfortable with that.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Hoopla! on February 25, 2019, 08:10:41 PM
Quote from: Noble on February 22, 2019, 10:08:20 PM
Hark, beware for there be rantings ahead.

I made this account to reply to this post. To do so, I had to wait two days before my account was even accepted.
It's obvious this community, PrincipiaDiscordia.com doesn't see many outsiders with differing opinions, because it's such a hassle to even get through.
Talking with others online, this website is often seen as a safe space for left-wing leaning Discordians.
I don't know anything more chaotic than disturbing the disorder within Discordianism with more order, as it keeps the Sacred Chao balanced, if anything, there's too little order.
It gives a different perspective to things, as Discordianism is a religion with a lot of followers and documentation, yet to this day nobody knows what to make of it, which perfectly defines it.

The issue I have with this forum in particular is that it's misleading.
The Discordian Society/The Eristocracy is so designed that any individual may begin their own sect/cabal and do as they please within that sect. This forum, instead has chosen to name itself after the entirety of the Principia, which makes one believe that the entirety of Discordianism is nothing but a bunch of angry old hippies yelling about bashing the fash.
It's a problem in that it turns many people who don't follow those beliefs away from Discordianism.
Just because you don't expect serious people to fit as well with Discordianism, such an opinion is one you shouldn't share.
Discordianism is designed to be decentralized, It's a religion and not a political ideology.

Personally, I'm a very serious person and take Discordianism very seriously, just because it seems so fiction-like.
Anyone may have any reason to like Hailing Eris, speaking ill of others because you claim them to have a bad influence on your religion is selfish.
Anyone who has read the Principia may choose to regard or disregard any other self-proclaimed Discordian works if they so please. Even POEE is merely one manifestation of the Discordian Society, anyone may rewrite a version of it at will, but when you do, choose a different name. Everybody should know their views to be purely subjective, and not apply them to the entirety of Discordianism, for it itself holds no inherent meaning but the various sects, cabals and undergroups that inhabit it.
If I so choose I may disregard any word Adam Gorightly has ever said about Discordianism, because frankly I believe Malaclypse to have had further secret intentions that were not shared by his peers.

Discordianism is both a religion and an irreligion, existing in a paradoxical position of being both serious and a joke at the same time. It is the Camus definition of the Acceptance of the Absurd, while retaining its likeness of Religion.
Define yourself as you wish, but don't claim to speak for everybody.

Hail Eris

If this site discourages discordians who favor fascism, I am personally comfortable with that.
Me fuckin' too.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Cram I get the point of the OP. I've tried to wrap my Noggin around a way to 'save' discordia and I've concluded that it is not possible to save nor is saving it necessary. Cultural and spiritual appropriation is how the Nazis work. They will sell you literally any line of crap so long as you buy into it and obey. There lies the trap for fascism laid in discordia. How do you gain obedience out of a worldview that encourages disobedience and independent thought? You don't. They may attempt to make the sacred chao into a new swastika, but it is inherently a liberating symbol.

They can get away with turning a Thor's hammer into some kind of white nationalist secret code, or Co-opt Christian ideologies, or find purely rationalist scams to put on the atheists, but discordianism is a different form of Enlightenment entirely. I believe that any actual discordians involved in the alt right will quickly grow bored and begin to cause trouble. As for those pretending to be discordian they will quickly grow bored of the goofy symbolism and jokes they don't understand and eventually give up discordianism so they can go be obedient little cabbages.

The problem will resolve itself. If action needs to be taken then let it be a promotion of actual discordianism or at least the more valuable lessons to be found under the discordian roof. Perhaps it is best to focus on showing the good things that can be had and increasing public awareness while using the alt-right discordians as a stepping stone and Exemplar of what not to do with one's enlightenment.

In conclusion I believe the discordia will prevail whether or not a bunch of asshats like us take action or not. Personally I think it would be best to get ready for yet another major paradigm shift, one where discordianism steadily gains public attention and comes out of the Shadows somewhat. Eris will have her day on stage and that day is coming soon. There will be discordians on both sides of the fence. People who are already latently discordian will realize that they are. The cabbages will do what cabbages do And ignore what they don't understand.

It might be a few years before this comes to pass, but come to pass it will. Perhaps it would be best to focus on 'corrupting' the youth, perhaps a discordian children's book for example or something focused on the middle to high school age. Something easy to distribute that focuses on the intelligence, light-heartedness, freedom, and fun that attracted me to discordianism all those years ago.

Discordia is Not Dead Yet!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Frontside Back

Fascist discordianism would be basically pinealism. You just take the aesthetics and essence and wipe off all the parts that lead to people behaving unpredictably.

Imagine going to this giant fetishised hot dog stand every friday just to wait in line for hours as the local certified pope preaches about how this ritual is to remind you what crap all the other religions are.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Frontside Back on February 26, 2019, 12:33:32 AM
Fascist discordianism would be basically pinealism. You just take the aesthetics and essence and wipe off all the parts that lead to people behaving unpredictably.

Imagine going to this giant fetishised hot dog stand every friday just to wait in line for hours as the local certified pope preaches about how this ritual is to remind you what crap all the other religions are.

Very much this.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

This is a site that deliberately torments fascists, and then throws them the fuck out into the street.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 26, 2019, 12:49:08 AM

This is a site that deliberately torments fascists, and then throws them the fuck out into the street.

Doing the Lord's work! Amen

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 25, 2019, 08:50:09 PM
...but discordianism is a different form of Enlightenment entirely.

What?  Discordianism leads to Enlightenment?  I must be doing it wrong.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.