News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

The New Wave

Started by Cramulus, July 17, 2018, 01:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noble

Quote from: Cramulus on February 23, 2019, 02:32:27 PM
Eventually, someone will come along and tell you that you should be reacting differently, that a really real discordian should come off like XYZ. (for example, there's been a whole wave of people who told us our writings are doing a disservice to discordianism because they aren't written in the same humor-collage form as the Principia). You are the pope and can get the juice straight from Eris yourself.

That's an important point - Discordianism is not about Mal or Omar or RAW's writing. That's "Orthodox Discordianism", which is also a 100% fine version of it, if that's what you're into. Me, I only take a few parts from the Orthodox texts.
I could call myself an orthodox Discordian all I want, but you don't hear orthodox christians saying they're orthodox christians, they're THE christians. In that same trend, every Discordian is a full Discordian, whether you want it or not. You don't own it.

And he's not alone. A lot of people are using the Discordian toolbox maliciously, selfishly.. they're out there, spewing racist shit, hurting people, high off the dopamine hit that you get from wielding power over someone.

So the OP's question is - is that something that Discordians should care about? Is it worth it to produce Discordian writings that help provide a breadcrumb trail away from being an edgelord dickhead? I mean, Discordianism belongs to us flesh and blood humans, it does not belong to the Three Dead Wiseguys who produced the texts we all fell in love with years ago.

As Popes, should we watch passively as the needle moves deeper and deeper into the hate trip? What if the Sacred Chao becomes a different kind of swastika, are you still cool with that, or is it worth resisting? When I see someone out there on the hate trip, should I get involved and try to inject a little compassion, or do I just back away and let racists have their playground all to themselves where they will grow and multiply?

And re-read the responses to the OP -- I don't think anybody in the thread says "Yes we need to correct everybody and get them to hold hands, we know what's right and wish to impose it on everybody".

And for what it's worth, if "being open to others interpretations" means being friendly with assholes and racists who are accelerating the harm and shit out there in the world... I'll pass.

This is unfortunate, as it's a futile attempt. Any and all Discordians will call themselves Discordians no matter what any Discordian may say about it. Any text in the Principia may be interpreted as they wish, I've come to understand that there's even Discordians here that completely disregard the Principia.
I think it all plays out beautifully, as Discordianism has since the 2000s been more disorderly than orderly, thus bringing the Sacred Chao out of balance, and since it automatically rebalances itself, that means that order must be applied. I call it bringing disorder to disorder by applying order, which is just fine.
I care as little about authoritarianism as I do about anarchism, but together they form a beautiful scenery that rivals that of modern societies.
Quote from: Hoopla! on February 25, 2019, 08:10:41 PM
If this site discourages discordians who favor fascism, I am personally comfortable with that.
I suppose if you wish this site to remain a safe haven from certain trains of thought, that's up to you, but it's not like those trains of thought will stop existing because of it. It's my guess that like within the Sacred Chao, Disorder and Order will remain segregated and the state of the Sacred Chao will represent Discordianism as a whole.
I don't think Fascism and Discordianism mix rather well though the same goes for Anarchism, everyone knows true Discordians prefer to be Eristocratic after all.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Noble on February 26, 2019, 04:18:30 AM

I suppose if you wish this site to remain a safe haven from certain trains of thought, that's up to you, but it's not like those trains of thought will stop existing because of it. It's my guess that like within the Sacred Chao, Disorder and Order will remain segregated and the state of the Sacred Chao will represent Discordianism as a whole.
I don't think Fascism and Discordianism mix rather well though the same goes for Anarchism, everyone knows true Discordians prefer to be Eristocratic after all.

So you are or are not a fascist?
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 26, 2019, 01:47:16 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 25, 2019, 08:50:09 PM
...but discordianism is a different form of Enlightenment entirely.

What?  Discordianism leads to Enlightenment?  I must be doing it wrong.

Or you've already done it right and just don't realize it yet. Pro tip: On the day you do realize that you will hear a Gong sound.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

My money's on 'proto-fascist it hasn't gotten it's dick wet yet'.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Moneys on "You libruls were mean to me so now I have to be a fashist"

Con-troll

As they advocates for open doors and hugs and idyllic dinner party for fascists there's a decent chance we could at least make them think they are fascist.
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

altered

As I have said many a time: intact fascist is wasted fun.

I spend my free time devising fun new ways to ruin fascist facial features, and while this has lead to homelessness and financial ruin, I live secure in the knowledge I am doing God's work.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 26, 2019, 04:29:08 AM
So you are or are not a fascist?

Either that, or one of those "all opinions are equally valid" types.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cramulus

Eventually, someone will come along and tell you that you should be reacting differently, that a really real discordian should come off like XYZ. (for example, there's been a whole wave of people who told us our writings are doing a disservice to discordianism because they aren't written in the same humor-collage form as the Principia). You are the pope and can get the juice straight from Eris yourself.

That's an important point - Discordianism is not about Mal or Omar or RAW's writing. That's "Orthodox Discordianism", which is also a 100% fine version of it, if that's what you're into. Me, I only take a few parts from the Orthodox texts.
I could call myself an orthodox Discordian all I want, but you don't hear orthodox christians saying they're orthodox christians, they're THE christians. In that same trend, every Discordian is a full Discordian, whether you want it or not. You don't own it.

strawman - nobody here claims to own discordianism

the question is "how should we react to people who use Discordia to be complete shitheads?"

you literally made an account to preach against Discordians you don't like,

so don't tell me that having a negative reaction to someone else's Discordia is tabboo or somehow missing the point

Faust

Nobel, what is the Descordianism you want to see here that we dont seem to reflect? Take a stab at describing it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on February 26, 2019, 01:03:50 PM

strawman - nobody here claims to own discordianism

the question is "how should we react to people who use Discordia to be complete shitheads?"

you literally made an account to preach against Discordians you don't like,

so don't tell me that having a negative reaction to someone else's Discordia is tabboo or somehow missing the point

This guy is a sealion.  He's wasting your time.  Go back and read his responses consecutively.  He's not actually making any statements or asking any questions, he is concern trolling.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on February 26, 2019, 02:34:40 PM
Nobel, what is the Descordianism you want to see here that we dont seem to reflect? Take a stab at describing it.

He will not.  He will reply with more mush-mouthing and vague generalizations.
Molon Lube

Con-troll

OKAY THE JIG IS UP, WHO IS IT?!
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

LMNO

Quote from: Frontside Back on February 26, 2019, 12:33:32 AM
Imagine going to this giant fetishised hot dog stand every friday just to wait in line for hours as the local certified pope preaches about how this ritual is to remind you what crap all the other religions are.

Newsfeed.

Also,
I suppose if you wish this site to remain a safe haven from certain trains of thought, that's up to you, but it's not like those trains of thought will stop existing because of it.

I also tend not to eat raw chicken, even though I know that won't stop salmonella from existing.

The PD archives are filled with megabytes of debate/discussion/argument between different trains of thought... and as it turns out, the right-wing/fascistic POV never brings up new angles or reasoning.  We've dealt with it, we can move on.

As an analogy*, do we REALLY need to sit down and discuss why racism is bad with every knuckle-dragging shithead with a copy of The Bell Curve shoved down their pants?  Or can we smell them from 100 yards (56.975 Hectoliters in metric) away and just cut to the part where we tell them to fuck off?

*Yeah, sure.  "Analogy".

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 26, 2019, 04:34:35 PM
As an analogy*, do we REALLY need to sit down and discuss why racism is bad with every knuckle-dragging shithead with a copy of The Bell Curve shoved down their pants?  Or can we smell them from 100 yards (56.975 Hectoliters in metric) away and just cut to the part where we tell them to fuck off?

See my above posts.
Molon Lube