News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

The entire tradition of Western Occultism is just a giant troll

Started by THE QLIPHITISER, July 23, 2018, 04:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on August 24, 2018, 02:15:15 PM
Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on July 23, 2018, 04:43:16 AM
Change my mind  :lulz:

Okay, I'll try.. but let me give you the context that I'm a materialist; I don't believe in woo.

The occult/spiritual texts with any value are usually interpreted way too literally. We modern people have the context of science as a powerful explanatory principle, and it's materially incompatible with concepts like heaven, soul, demons, et cetera. I think a lot of that stuff is worthless if you read it as a material explanation. Like, clearly there are no demons whispering in our ears, tempting us. But if you read demons as an internal force, a part of the self that must be struggled with, you are in a place where you can make personal sense of these writings.

Let's get a bit more concrete,
let's take one of the world's oldest occult maxims, found on the Emerald Tablet of Hermes: "As above, so below"  (the line continues, "With this knowledge alone you may work miracles.")

I could unpack my own understanding of this line, but it might be better if I just mentioned that "above" might not refer to "the heavens", so much as "the zoomed-out universe", (ie macrocosm) and "below" could refer to "the zoomed-in universe" - maybe we're talking about microorganisms, or fine material like molecules, or maybe we're talking about the microcosm, the "inner world".

In some traditions, it's seen this way - when a world is big, it looks like galaxies and nebulas and black holes. A smaller world looks like a sun with planets orbiting around it. A smaller world looks like a planet. A much smaller world looks like an individual person. And within that person maybe there are worlds too.

In that context, "as above, so below" gives us a key to appreciating the structural similarities between macro and micro, which in turn gives us a direct and personal connection to the Big Picture.

I could elaborate more, but probably best to stop there before I get carried away :p

"It's all in your head - you just have no idea how big your head is!" - Lon Milo DuQuette
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Matthew 17:20 "He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Hyperclessians 8:10 "Ain't nobody around here got mustard."
Molon Lube

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 17, 2018, 11:26:59 PM
Quote from: EK WAFFLR on August 17, 2018, 09:45:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 13, 2018, 04:42:55 PM
Quote from: EK WAFFLR on August 13, 2018, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on August 13, 2018, 01:14:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 10, 2018, 04:08:49 PMI suppose that series of statements works if you own a ukulele and a fixed-gear bike.

....and sit around the campfire with a fat cigar with that ukulele  :lulz:

Electric campfire. Gluten free cigars.

Obviously.  We're not barbarians.

You may not be. I, on the other hand.

Yes, you barbaric Norwegians, with your savage free health care and your horrific unlimited free education mayhem.

I, for one, am just waiting for someone civilized to show us The Light and give us private health care.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on August 10, 2018, 09:29:24 AMAgnosticism is intellectually lazy

Agnosticism makes sense because there are so many different religious systems. And a lot of them have really low standards. Throwing lightning bolts was one of the demonstrations back when I used to work at the science museum. Good old Nikola Tesla.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

minuspace

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 04, 2018, 02:33:43 AM
Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on August 10, 2018, 09:29:24 AMAgnosticism is intellectually lazy

Agnosticism makes sense because there are so many different religious systems. And a lot of them have really low standards. Throwing lightning bolts was one of the demonstrations back when I used to work at the science museum. Good old Nikola Tesla.

At least, back in the day, they used to call it animatronics. Now, aerobatic stuntronics are supposed to be a novel alternative. Just sayin'.

minuspace

Quote"It's all in your head - you just have no idea how big your head is!" - Lon Milo DuQuette

Yoink

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I mean in some places all you need in order to qualify as a divinity is a commercial pilot's license.

hooplala

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 04, 2018, 08:04:05 PM
I mean in some places all you need in order to qualify as a divinity is a commercial pilot's license.

Dude, all you need to do is fuck Ray J.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 24, 2018, 06:22:58 PM
Matthew 17:20 "He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
I think J was trolling his bros when he said that.  The true meaning is, "If you believe in stuff too much, you'll end up delusional and thinking you can move mountains with your mind.  But they won't really be moving.  It'll all be in your head.  Also, don't mess around with this exorcism stuff.  Leave it to the pros."

Hyperclessians 8:10 "Ain't nobody around here got mustard."

And being empty of stomach and refrigerator, the LORD went unto the grocery store.  There he came to the condiments aisle, and as he cast his eyes upon the mustard, declared "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things isn't the same!"  And he took a bottle marked MAILLE à l'Ancienne, and lo!  It was filled not with paste, but with mustard seeds soaked in vinegar and wine.  And the LORD placed it in his grocery basket, and also placed therein cured meats, and rich cheese, and textured bread, and then returned home to make a Reuben sandwich.  And he tasted it, and it was good.
    --The Book of Product Placement, 14:19-27.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Smillsoid

There has never been something that cannot be undermined by its own inconsistencies.
Daddy or chips? Chaddy!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Smillsoid on September 30, 2018, 08:57:24 PM
There has never been something that cannot be undermined by its own inconsistencies.

YOU have clearly never gone to the bathroom after me.
Molon Lube

Smillsoid

Daddy or chips? Chaddy!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Smillsoid on September 30, 2018, 10:05:32 PM
YES I HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No.  If you had, you wouldn't have the energy to post word salad.  LMNO had to use the can after me at the Kitchen in Boston, and he's posted like 3 times in the 6 years since, and only when it was really important.  Two years before THAT, Professor Cramulus AND Cainad had to use the can after me at a hot dog joint off of the Common.  Cramulus DIED and Cainad became a geologist, if you can believe that.

My Godlike ability to destroy a toilet is recorded in epic poetry in Providence, Boston, Chicago, and mostly Portland, where toilets are apparently made for tiny people with tiny poop.  Nobody gets to shit after me in Portland.

Here in Tucson, it's just another day.
Molon Lube