News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

The entire tradition of Western Occultism is just a giant troll

Started by THE QLIPHITISER, July 23, 2018, 04:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on August 10, 2018, 09:29:24 AM
Agnosticism is intellectually lazy

As a Militant Agnostic it is my religious duty to be triggered by this to an extremist level.
A my boot grinds your cheek into the ground I'll proclaim agnosticism is the only truly intellectually honest stance.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 13, 2018, 05:06:06 PM

As a Militant Agnostic it is my religious duty to be triggered by this to an extremist level.
A my boot grinds your cheek into the ground I'll proclaim agnosticism is the only truly intellectually honest stance.

FAUST DOESN'T KNOW AND NEITHER DO YOU!
Molon Lube

THE QLIPHITISER

Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

hooplala

Agnosticism is the correct answer to the right question.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Hoopla on August 17, 2018, 04:24:51 PM

Agnosticism is the correct answer to the right question.

This!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 13, 2018, 04:42:55 PM
Quote from: EK WAFFLR on August 13, 2018, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on August 13, 2018, 01:14:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 10, 2018, 04:08:49 PMI suppose that series of statements works if you own a ukulele and a fixed-gear bike.

....and sit around the campfire with a fat cigar with that ukulele  :lulz:

Electric campfire. Gluten free cigars.

Obviously.  We're not barbarians.

You may not be. I, on the other hand.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: EK WAFFLR on August 17, 2018, 09:45:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 13, 2018, 04:42:55 PM
Quote from: EK WAFFLR on August 13, 2018, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on August 13, 2018, 01:14:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 10, 2018, 04:08:49 PMI suppose that series of statements works if you own a ukulele and a fixed-gear bike.

....and sit around the campfire with a fat cigar with that ukulele  :lulz:

Electric campfire. Gluten free cigars.

Obviously.  We're not barbarians.

You may not be. I, on the other hand.

Yes, you barbaric Norwegians, with your savage free health care and your horrific unlimited free education mayhem.
Molon Lube

THE QLIPHITISER

Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

Faust

Undetermined is not a non-answer. It is the only answer.

Your ego may not like it, but the universe doesn't care and it's not here to answer your questions.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

Unless of course you demand knowing, in which case, hold on to your 'pieces'. Because the "un/indeterminate" can still be way more positive than your average cut.

hooplala

Here's a knowable concept for you, Qliph: your tagging skills are subpar.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

minuspace

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

minuspace

Cramulus

Quote from: THE QLIPHITISER on July 23, 2018, 04:43:16 AM
Change my mind  :lulz:

Okay, I'll try.. but let me give you the context that I'm a materialist; I don't believe in woo.

The occult/spiritual texts with any value are usually interpreted way too literally. We modern people have the context of science as a powerful explanatory principle, and it's materially incompatible with concepts like heaven, soul, demons, et cetera. I think a lot of that stuff is worthless if you read it as a material explanation. Like, clearly there are no demons whispering in our ears, tempting us. But if you read demons as an internal force, a part of the self that must be struggled with, you are in a place where you can make personal sense of these writings.

Let's get a bit more concrete,
let's take one of the world's oldest occult maxims, found on the Emerald Tablet of Hermes: "As above, so below"  (the line continues, "With this knowledge alone you may work miracles.")

I could unpack my own understanding of this line, but it might be better if I just mentioned that "above" might not refer to "the heavens", so much as "the zoomed-out universe", (ie macrocosm) and "below" could refer to "the zoomed-in universe" - maybe we're talking about microorganisms, or fine material like molecules, or maybe we're talking about the microcosm, the "inner world".

In some traditions, it's seen this way - when a world is big, it looks like galaxies and nebulas and black holes. A smaller world looks like a sun with planets orbiting around it. A smaller world looks like a planet. A much smaller world looks like an individual person. And within that person maybe there are worlds too.

In that context, "as above, so below" gives us a key to appreciating the structural similarities between macro and micro, which in turn gives us a direct and personal connection to the Big Picture.

I could elaborate more, but probably best to stop there before I get carried away :p