News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

I forgot how to physics and require assistance.

Started by Con-troll, August 03, 2018, 11:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con-troll

Does anybody know how big of an catapult would it take to hurl approximately nuclear plant sized object 420 kilometers? Or the formulas I need to calculate that shit. Just the catapult will do also, If you manage to mail it to me.
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

Faust

Exact mass of nucleus of an atom is nearly nothing, can't be certain of that though. Lots of nothing is really light so maybe a slingshot?
Or maybe put a realyl big wind turbine behind it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

axod

just this

Con-troll

Quote from: Faust on August 03, 2018, 11:32:42 AM
Exact mass of nucleus of an atom is nearly nothing, can't be certain of that though. Lots of nothing is really light so maybe a slingshot?
Or maybe put a realyl big wind turbine behind it.

Tried that, but hippies keep suicide bombing all my turbines to the ground. Enviromental toll on the local penguin population is too high they say. I've tried to shoot them with my bazooka, but they always blow up their vest before I manage to hit them.

Quote from: axod on August 03, 2018, 11:44:00 AM
I'm stux.

No, the point is to reposition the plant, not getting rid of it.
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

LMNO

From a 45 degree angle, use d = v2/g

So, the velocity needed will be v = √dg

The bigness of the catapult depends on the force required to reach the velocity.  Of course, F = ma

Acceleration is a = ∆v/∆t.  Mass depends on the nuclear plant.

Hope that helps!

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Brother Mythos

I recommend using a trebuchet. Oh, and you're going to need a parachute too, if you insist on repositioning.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Doktor Howl

Where the hell is PMD?  Only he can deal with a question like this.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: rong on August 03, 2018, 02:32:27 PM
a really fucking big one should do it
Rong, I love your style, the most unflappable lazy response to even the weirdest of questions.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

chaotic neutral observer

It would help if you explained the root problem you're trying to solve.  I mean, depending on what you want, it might make more sense to transport the plant by lifting it with a fleet of dirigibles.
Catapults aren't very accurate over long distances...
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Brother Mythos

I'd still go with a trebuchet. I mean, have you ever seen what one of those things can do with a pumpkin? And, it should go without saying, your parachute should to be one of those high-tech, steerable, square chutes.

LMNO

To be honest, it seems like the main engineering challenge is to get the fucking plant in the trebuchet to begin with.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: LMNO on August 03, 2018, 07:47:35 PM
To be honest, it seems like the main engineering challenge is to get the fucking plant in the trebuchet to begin with.

It will be a lot easier to get the plant into a trebuchet than it will be to get it into a catapult. Using a trebuchet will allow the launch team to keep the plant perfectly flat during the loading phase. And that alone solves about half of the loading problem.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against dirigibles. But, steam punk is a whole different genre. If we're going to go that route, then someone should have told me that in the first place.

rong

Quote from: Faust on August 03, 2018, 06:11:36 PM
Quote from: rong on August 03, 2018, 02:32:27 PM
a really fucking big one should do it
Rong, I love your style, the most unflappable lazy response to even the weirdest of questions.
thanks, man.  i was starting to think everyone had me on ignore or something
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

axod

I'll try and get OP that catapult, or, if you have tug-boat, try the Akademik Lomonosov way.
just this