News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Hey Cain, it's a Pakistan thread

Started by Junkenstein, August 05, 2018, 12:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Because it seems like it's going to be needed. What'the fuck is going on with the military and Imran Khan? The whole situation seems utterly bizzare and seems to be establishing a worrying trend of celebrity leaders.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Pakistan is deep in political malaise and weariness right now.  Elected leaders keep being shown as both corrupt and incompetent, and as such everyone hates them.

Khan's a firebrand, a populist.  Despite being involved in politics for over 20 years now, he can claim to be an "outsider"...to an extent.  A lot of the people around him are known for being on the take, and he himself has embraced a fairly hardline and conservative interpretation of Islam.  So he's not tainted in the same way the usual names are, but his views are more or less dependable and in-line with the kind of country the military wants to run.

The military likely see him as a way of defusing some of the political apathy in the country right now while still being dependable and controllable.  They'll let him play out his (inevitably limited) anti-corruption crusade at home, while they continue to call the shots on India, Kashmir and Afghanistan.

Junkenstein

So he's a handy stooge for now then. Any good sources for ongoing news? I've totally lost track of where the region is at and I'm expecting a huge pile of hilarious corruption.

It's also just a matter of time until the tango tit has a pop at them for something and then realises they actually have nuclear weapons too. Which will be interesting.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Asia Times, the Diplomat....I also follow half a dozen former military intel/ISI guys who have gone into private contracting, as a barometer of security services sentiment.