News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

John McCain is dead.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 26, 2018, 05:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

In the end, I have decided that this is a loss, for two reasons:

1.  The Arizona constitution requires that his replacement be of the same party, and the seat sticks until 2022.

2.  McCain miraculously grew a spine for the famous "thumbs down" moment, which is why my aging parents can still afford health insurance, which is why my mother survived her cancer.  That obviously buys a lot with me.
Molon Lube

Faust

That vote was one of the most pivotal and important votes of the last decade, He held back America from becoming that much worse for so many people. I didn't like the man but I recognise his good judgment and compassion in that act and am thankful for it.

That said, he was able to make that important gesture only because there was someone WORSE out there trying to push horrible on the country. He was the beast you know, but even he knew where to draw the line.

He would have been a better president then what is there now, and quite frankly, even as a corpse, he still is.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

hooplala

And remember, THAT's the "Grand Old Party".
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

McCain the soldier is someone I can't fault much.  Staying a POW under the conditions he did, refusing early repatriation when it was offered...it was the right thing to do of course, but it can't have been easy (especially when you recall at one point they were beating him every 2 hours.  While he had dysentery).

The politician is a much more mixed bag.  I can definitely understand why people might like him, for example for killing Trump's attempts to undo ACA, or why he's quite popular in Eastern Europe.  At the same time, his easy access to journalists is definitely why they courted him, and put on rose-tinted glasses that allowed them to ignore that he was in favour of involving the US in pretty much every ongoing conflict on the planet, and creating several more besides.  His ethical stands were inconsistent at best, and mostly notable because unlike the rest of the Republican Party, he at least had some discernible values in the first place, and his dissent from the party orthodoxy largely overstated.

Still, those minor differences did put him a cut above most of his party, so that is something.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: MMIX on August 26, 2018, 04:06:32 PM
The depth of US politics never fails to amaze me:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/8/26/1790997/-AZ-GOP-Candidate-Kelli-Ward-Says-McCain-Died-to-Harm-Her-Campaign
again the homeland of horrormirth does not disappoint

Kelli Ward is so much worse up close.  Not even kidding.  She's the Martin Bormann of our generation.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

Anyone who can be badmouthed by both sides the moment he keels over must be doing something right.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

Back in 08 I was registered as a republican. Not ideologically -- In 2000, I had volunteered to work a polling center in Connecticut, and state law requires a minimum of 2 dems and 2 republicans. They couldn't find a second republican, so they asked me if they could register me red "for the day", and then we could change it back. It never changed back, and I got the privilege of voting in republican primaries -- which are almost always more exciting and fun than the dem primaries.

At the time, the dem race was between Obama and Clinton, and I felt that I'd be okay with either of them winning. The republican race was higher stakes, I really wanted Romney to get bumped out. (at the time, he was doing a religious right shtick).

I remember this moment in 2008 when McCain went on The Daily Show. I don't remember what they talked about, but I remember he came off as earnest and intelligent, and Stewart took kinda cheap potshots at him which he endured stoically. And I thought - that composure, that ability to roll with the punches and not get baited - that's a good presidential quality. Of the republican choices, I thought he was the best.

And he tapped Sarah Palin as VP. Ugh, what a dumb mistake, activating the tea party like that. She really thought SHE was running for president.

Obviously I don't agree with a lot of McCain's politics, but today in 2018, the courage to say No to your own party is something I respect.

Wait, don't we have a McCain emote? ahhh yes,

:mccain:

LMNO

This is a fairly savage takedown of McCain done by simply reviewing the facts, but as far as I can tell it's accurate.

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2018/08/mccain

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on August 27, 2018, 02:46:29 PM
This is a fairly savage takedown of McCain done by simply reviewing the facts, but as far as I can tell it's accurate.

Wow. That is good to keep in mind.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

I can't argue with any of that.  That being said, see my OP.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2018, 06:46:15 PM

I can't argue with any of that.  That being said, see my OP.

Understood. 

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

AGE OF ERIS:  Word is, on of our board members may take John McCain's seat.  Watch for a name you've never heard before.  All in all, she'd be a decent choice (for the Arizona value of "decent").  She's a plutocrat, but hasn't shown any obviously insane behavior so far, and she thinks of Trump as the new rich scum he is.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Well that is an interesting development.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman