News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

John McCain is dead.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 26, 2018, 05:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on August 27, 2018, 08:59:42 PM
Well that is an interesting development.

Governor Ducey isn't a fan of Trump, either.
Molon Lube

Norman

Quote from: Cramulus on August 27, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
Back in 08 I was registered as a republican. Not ideologically -- In 2000, I had volunteered to work a polling center in Connecticut, and state law requires a minimum of 2 dems and 2 republicans. They couldn't find a second republican, so they asked me if they could register me red "for the day", and then we could change it back. It never changed back, and I got the privilege of voting in republican primaries -- which are almost always more exciting and fun than the dem primaries.

At the time, the dem race was between Obama and Clinton, and I felt that I'd be okay with either of them winning. The republican race was higher stakes, I really wanted Romney to get bumped out. (at the time, he was doing a religious right shtick).

I remember this moment in 2008 when McCain went on The Daily Show. I don't remember what they talked about, but I remember he came off as earnest and intelligent, and Stewart took kinda cheap potshots at him which he endured stoically. And I thought - that composure, that ability to roll with the punches and not get baited - that's a good presidential quality. Of the republican choices, I thought he was the best.

And he tapped Sarah Palin as VP. Ugh, what a dumb mistake, activating the tea party like that. She really thought SHE was running for president.

Obviously I don't agree with a lot of McCain's politics, but today in 2018, the courage to say No to your own party is something I respect.

Wait, don't we have a McCain emote? ahhh yes,

:mccain:

I bet if McCain had a do-over he wouldn't have picked Sarah Palin.  I doubt he had any idea of who the fuck she was, but some "smart guy" on his campaign probably talked him into it.  I mean, I can't imagine McCain hating Trump but liking Palin.  Those two are cut from the same cloth.

Faust

"You have to have a woman's touch, to soften out your smoother edges, someone with a level head to balance your Maverick personality. Sarah Palin should be perfect"
- Disgruntled unpaid intern tasked with selecting candidates on his last day at the office.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Norman on August 28, 2018, 03:37:56 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on August 27, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
Back in 08 I was registered as a republican. Not ideologically -- In 2000, I had volunteered to work a polling center in Connecticut, and state law requires a minimum of 2 dems and 2 republicans. They couldn't find a second republican, so they asked me if they could register me red "for the day", and then we could change it back. It never changed back, and I got the privilege of voting in republican primaries -- which are almost always more exciting and fun than the dem primaries.

At the time, the dem race was between Obama and Clinton, and I felt that I'd be okay with either of them winning. The republican race was higher stakes, I really wanted Romney to get bumped out. (at the time, he was doing a religious right shtick).

I remember this moment in 2008 when McCain went on The Daily Show. I don't remember what they talked about, but I remember he came off as earnest and intelligent, and Stewart took kinda cheap potshots at him which he endured stoically. And I thought - that composure, that ability to roll with the punches and not get baited - that's a good presidential quality. Of the republican choices, I thought he was the best.

And he tapped Sarah Palin as VP. Ugh, what a dumb mistake, activating the tea party like that. She really thought SHE was running for president.

Obviously I don't agree with a lot of McCain's politics, but today in 2018, the courage to say No to your own party is something I respect.

Wait, don't we have a McCain emote? ahhh yes,

:mccain:

I bet if McCain had a do-over he wouldn't have picked Sarah Palin.  I doubt he had any idea of who the fuck she was, but some "smart guy" on his campaign probably talked him into it.  I mean, I can't imagine McCain hating Trump but liking Palin.  Those two are cut from the same cloth.

He was forced into Palin.  He wanted Leiberman.
Molon Lube

Pergamos

I think with Lieberman as vice he could have beaten Obama.  It would have been two white moderates vs the black guy with the Muslim name.  Instead he went with Caribou Barbie and scared all the people concerned about his frail health.  I know I was considering voting third party until I saw what a nightmare Palin was

Norman

It's probably not often in his life that anyone has ever wanted Lieberman.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on August 28, 2018, 06:03:42 PM
I think with Lieberman as vice he could have beaten Obama.  It would have been two white moderates vs the black guy with the Muslim name.  Instead he went with Caribou Barbie and scared all the people concerned about his frail health.  I know I was considering voting third party until I saw what a nightmare Palin was

Naw.  He would have come closer, but Lieberman basically WAS McCain, and wouldn't add anything to the ticket.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

HOLY SHIT, INHOFE GRABS THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR INSENSITIVITY!

:lulz:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-senator-mccain-is-partially-to-blame-for-controversy-over-white-house-flags/ar-BBMwY9J?ocid=spartanntp

QuoteIn response to a question about the flag controversy, Inhofe, who is expected to succeed McCain as the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the former GOP presidential nominee was not "courteous" to Trump.

"Well, you know, frankly, I think that John McCain is partially to blame for that because he is very outspoken," Inhofe told reporters, according to CNN. "He disagreed with the president in certain areas and wasn't too courteous about it."

In short, the President's feelings are bruised, and McCain shouldn't have dressed in such a skimpy outfit.
Molon Lube

hooplala

When the line "some men just want to watch the world burn" showed up in the Dark Knight ten years ago it seemed like just a badass nihilistic quote. But now I get it. I really get it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 28, 2018, 09:39:48 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-slows-efforts-to-rename-senate-building-for-mccain/ar-BBMxqqz?ocid=spartanntp

ETA:  Instead of a building, McConnell may suggest a particular conference room.  Not even kidding.

The good bit, for me: As opposed to a building currently named after a Southern segregationist, Richard Russell.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube