News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

UNLIMITED 2018 Midterm Thread.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 28, 2018, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Sort of.  The GOP has been doing stuff like this for a while with the gerrymandering, which had previously been effective enough they didn't need to go this blatantly.  North Carolina did something similar a year or so ago, and then there's always Kansas.

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on December 04, 2018, 04:40:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 04, 2018, 04:36:58 PM
It's not clear if the new incoming legislature would have the votes needed to overturn the rule change.
So basically they lose the seat so they gimp the position until they win it back and then restore the power? I've never seen this kind of thing done so openly, are they desperate or do they just not care. Has trump normalised this kind of behavior?

Yes.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Logical extension of their approach to gerrymandering, IMO.  When you don't accept the opposition party as being legitimate, you can take any steps to prevent them from seizing power - or doing too much with that power.

LMNO

Yeah.  In the past, they didn't have to go there, because historically, dems didn't really give a shit about the midterms which meant standard gerrymandering/voter suppression maintained GOP control.  But now that the Dems have started winning, more drastic steps must be taken.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on December 04, 2018, 04:40:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 04, 2018, 04:36:58 PM
It's not clear if the new incoming legislature would have the votes needed to overturn the rule change.
So basically they lose the seat so they gimp the position until they win it back and then restore the power? I've never seen this kind of thing done so openly, are they desperate or do they just not care. Has trump normalised this kind of behavior?

This was attempted in 2007 by the GOP when the dems won the house.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube