News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Hi, it's me.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 31, 2018, 08:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Hi, it's me.  This is more complicated than it sounds...I am not the me I was when you first met me (especially you old timers), and believe me when I say that this can be uncomfortable.  I am not the me that raced cars on Book Road back in the day.  I am not the me that stood horrified in a pumphouse under the streets in Panama.  I am not the me that worked for a dodgy cargo airline when some of you met me for the first time.  Let's skip a bit...I am not even the me that wrote Little Orange and Hell in a Dry Place.  I have changed, as you have changed, as everyone changes.  To expect a person to react the same way to a given stimuli over a half-century isn't realistic.

The hard part, the part that took that entire half-century, is to understand that yourself.  That you aren't the same person you used to be.  Maybe you're better, maybe you're worse, maybe you're neither, just different.  But once you DO realize that, you remove an enormous burden of false expectations from yourself, and the affect that has is some pretty strong mojo.

I am not Shaky, Mozart of the M16.
I am not The Good Reverend Roger, screaming out rants.
I am not Padre Dolor, delivering the hurt.
I am not Little Billy, taunting the Pagans.
I am not Doktor Howl, explaining your doom to you in terms you understand.

I am a mish-mash of all of these people, and "we" are stronger for realizing that.  I am a ball of aggregate Horror™, and I am not impressed by the puny villains we have today.  Trump and his hordes of waterhead Nazis may be dangerous to some degree, but they have no opera.  They are banal.  Boring.  This should change.

On the other hand, this entire future is kind of banal and boring.  It is a flimsy thing, built on shaky foundations by drunks who never even bothered to look at the blueprint.  It is the intensely monotonous accumulation of wealth into the hands of a tiny group of people while the rest of the world starves - or is facing the specter of starvation - and drinks filthy water.

And I think maybe that needs to change, as well.

Or Kill Us. 
Molon Lube

LMNO

...you learned how to use Arrays in Excel, didn't you?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on August 31, 2018, 08:44:36 PM

I wrote script to move it all over to the SQL database.

Oh my God, it's full of stars.
- David Bowman,
Inventer of the relational database.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 31, 2018, 08:47:22 PM

- David Bowman,

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 31, 2018, 08:31:14 PM
Hi, it's me.  This is more complicated than it sounds...I am not the me I was when you first met me (especially you old timers), and believe me when I say that this can be uncomfortable.  I am not the me that raced cars on Book Road back in the day.  I am not the me that stood horrified in a pumphouse under the streets in Panama.  I am not the me that worked for a dodgy cargo airline when some of you met me for the first time.  Let's skip a bit...I am not even the me that wrote Little Orange and Hell in a Dry Place.  I have changed, as you have changed, as everyone changes.  To expect a person to react the same way to a given stimuli over a half-century isn't realistic.

The hard part, the part that took that entire half-century, is to understand that yourself.  That you aren't the same person you used to be.  Maybe you're better, maybe you're worse, maybe you're neither, just different.  But once you DO realize that, you remove an enormous burden of false expectations from yourself, and the affect that has is some pretty strong mojo.

I am a mish-mash of all of these people, and "we" are stronger for realizing that.  I am a ball of aggregate Horror™, and I am not impressed by the puny villains we have today.  Trump and his hordes of waterhead Nazis may be dangerous to some degree, but they have no opera.  They are banal.  Boring.  This should change.

On the other hand, this entire future is kind of banal and boring.  It is a flimsy thing, built on shaky foundations by drunks who never even bothered to look at the blueprint.  It is the intensely monotonous accumulation of wealth into the hands of a tiny group of people while the rest of the world starves - or is facing the specter of starvation - and drinks filthy water.

Or Kill Us.

I too am coming to realization I am not the same person I once was, but I am in a position where I still find too much of the old me for my own liking. This is definitely a time of change. All times are times of change, but I am actively seeking this change.

I'm rambling.

I have always liked how you are willing to change Roger, something your psycho stalker fans never give you credit for.

I hope the new you is one you enjoy.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on August 31, 2018, 08:58:09 PM

Or Kill Us.

I too am coming to realization I am not the same person I once was, but I am in a position where I still find too much of the old me for my own liking. This is definitely a time of change. All times are times of change, but I am actively seeking this change.

I'm rambling.

I have always liked how you are willing to change Roger, something your psycho stalker fans never give you credit for.

I hope the new you is one you enjoy.

I like it a lot more than last year's model, anyway.  The AC works and the brakes hardly ever fail, even if it gets less miles per gallon (kg per hectare in metric, obviously).  It has the pickup of a stick shift and the ease of an automatic, and it dances on autopilot.  The autopilot isn't very good and the collosion-avoidance software never works, but you can't have everything in a jalopy that will be 50 on halloween.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: LMNO on August 31, 2018, 08:52:19 PM

- David Bowman,

QuoteHi there Shaky!

—Abraham

Cramulus

Roger is dead, long live Roger

:holyman:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 31, 2018, 10:59:27 PM
Roger is dead, long live Roger

:holyman:

I am like Payne only it doesn't hurt as much.  It hurts when you're a different person, but only like it hurts when you're broke and only have one cigar left.

Or so I remember it from when I smoked.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LuciferX on August 31, 2018, 10:30:53 PM

- David Bowman,

QuoteHi there Shaky!

—Abraham

Shaky has been gone for 22 years.  Old grunts aren't grunts, they're pogues (sometimes misspelled POG).  The moment you leave the line you're not a grunt.  So I am not Shaky.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 31, 2018, 11:21:46 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on August 31, 2018, 10:30:53 PM

- David Bowman,

QuoteHi there Shaky!

—Abraham

Shaky has been gone for 22 years.  Old grunts aren't grunts, they're pogues (sometimes misspelled POG).  The moment you leave the line you're not a grunt.  So I am not Shaky.

Cool. I also was not implying that I know Abrahams from Adam, just for the record :lol: Someone did try to mow my hæir with an M16 once during a Tell bit, but my relational database buffer overflows.

chaotic neutral observer

If I'm not the person I used to be, it seems unfair that I have to deal with the memories of all his stupid mistakes.  Especially the ones I can't learn from.

Hi, it's me.  I am not the me I was when you first met me (especially you old timers),
Hi, new guy!  I'm new here, too.

QuoteI am not impressed by the puny villains we have today.  Trump and his hordes of waterhead Nazis may be dangerous to some degree, but they have no opera.  They are banal.  Boring.  This should change.
A well-written villain should have an interesting flaw or weakness.  Stupidity is not an interesting trait.  Henchmen are portrayed as mooks, not only for comedic effect, but also to make it clear that they're not in the same class as the main villain.  So, Trump must be someone's henchman.  But whose?  Putin?  Or some shadowy puppet-master, yet to be revealed?  But that would be stupid.  I hate it when characters are dropped into the plot out of nowhere.

Someone needs to fire the writing staff and hire new people, before we all get written into a corner.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 01, 2018, 05:56:49 AM
If I'm not the person I used to be, it seems unfair that I have to deal with the memories of all his stupid mistakes.  Especially the ones I can't learn from.

Hi, it's me.  I am not the me I was when you first met me (especially you old timers),
Hi, new guy!  I'm new here, too.

QuoteI am not impressed by the puny villains we have today.  Trump and his hordes of waterhead Nazis may be dangerous to some degree, but they have no opera.  They are banal.  Boring.  This should change.
A well-written villain should have an interesting flaw or weakness.  Stupidity is not an interesting trait.  Henchmen are portrayed as mooks, not only for comedic effect, but also to make it clear that they're not in the same class as the main villain.  So, Trump must be someone's henchman.  But whose?  Putin?  Or some shadowy puppet-master, yet to be revealed?  But that would be stupid.  I hate it when characters are dropped into the plot out of nowhere.

Someone needs to fire the writing staff and hire new people, before we all get written into a corner.

You're certainly not wrong.
Molon Lube