News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Predatory instinct

Started by chaotic neutral observer, September 02, 2018, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

Sometimes, I'll see someone walking with their head down, focused on their smartphone, oblivious to their surroundings, and I'll feel the urge to pounce on them.

It's not as if I wish them harm, or want to beat them up and take their stuff.  I'm not even particularly irritated at their inattention; there's no rational thought process here.

Perhaps this is an attribute of my inner six-year-old, who still thinks it's funny to sneak up on people and make Sudden Noises.  Maybe, dozens of generations ago, one of my ancestors survived by hunting via stealth, and some of his genes persisted through decades of domestication.  Or it could be that this is my way of saying, "Hi.  Safety is an illusion.  You're a wild creature out in the wild, and you've dropped your defenses.  I might be a flabby little geek with low threat potential, but the next thing you meet could be a stray coyote1, or a wandering cultist2.  You should take better care of yourself."

I've never done anything about this, of course, but perhaps someday I'll work up the nerve to stand in their path, adopt a Ginyu Force pose, and see what happens.

Unrelated note:  A couple days ago, I had just left work, was looking down at my phone to make a call, and got whapped in the face by a low hanging tree branch.  The grounds staff should probably trim that.

If I'm a hypocrite, then recognizing I'm a hypocrite doesn't make me less of a hypocrite.  It makes me a double hypocrite.  But knowing I'm a double hypocrite doesn't make me a triple hypocrite.  It has to end somewhere.

----------

1Coyotes wander into the city, now and then.  They're after the jackrabbits, I suppose.
2Jehova's Witness.  They're not as bad as they used to be.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Capeditiea

:D that sounds like fun thing to start. :D

next thing we know it would go viral on youtube, suddenly the world would be pleased in many levels. :D

*nods,

did you start to bleed like mad?
The Goddess of Discord = 67 = Eris Kallisti Discordja = 67 = Gnosis Goddess of Art and Creativity = 67 = Capeditiea = 67 = Goddess of Enigma
[GoN]

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 05, 2018, 10:21:16 PM
It was fucking horrible.  Do not trust your younger self.

Cain

Doing that around here is an invitation to getting your phone snatched and probably a stabbing as well.  And yet people still do it.

Capeditiea

:O you live in a dangerous place, yo.
The Goddess of Discord = 67 = Eris Kallisti Discordja = 67 = Gnosis Goddess of Art and Creativity = 67 = Capeditiea = 67 = Goddess of Enigma
[GoN]

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Capeditiea on September 02, 2018, 05:16:46 PM
I caught a faceful of leaves.  Negligible physical damage, moderate ego damage.

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2018, 05:20:26 PM
Doing that around here is an invitation to getting your phone snatched and probably a stabbing as well.  And yet people still do it.
I wonder how many learn from the experience, and how many get mugged a second time.

Capeditiea

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 02, 2018, 06:25:25 PM
Quote from: Capeditiea on September 02, 2018, 05:16:46 PM
I caught a faceful of leaves.  Negligible physical damage, moderate ego damage.

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2018, 05:20:26 PM
I wonder how many learn from the experience, and how many get mugged a second time.

is the tree okay?

[GoN]

Cain

Quote from: Capeditiea on September 02, 2018, 05:37:46 PM
:O you live in a dangerous place, yo.

Only late at night.  Being on the night shift, I see this sort of thing a lot more than most.  Up until about midnight, and after 5am you're OK.

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 02, 2018, 06:25:25 PM

They remember...for a few months.  Then they get it snatched again.  You can see the little buggers setting up for it on the street...some dude with a bike, at 3am, who finds the pavement incredibly fascinating, right up until the point someone passes with a phone in hand.  They let them get on about 10m, and then they zip past, grabbing the phone as they go.  If the police had the manpower for more than a single patrol every 8 hours, they'd probably catch them in the act more often.

Capeditiea

somehow i am seeing the dude on the bike fapping to the pavement's fine smooth bumpy textures.
[GoN]

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Capeditiea on September 02, 2018, 06:47:38 PM
is the tree okay?
The leaves are starting to turn yellow and fall off.

minuspace

Capeditiea

Quote from: LuciferX on September 03, 2018, 07:15:36 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 03, 2018, 04:05:52 AM
is the tree okay?
Get back on the bus and clothe thyself.

:O you killed the tree? poor tree. T.T

well, LuciferX did suggest some good advice.

just besure to wear red... and brown depending on the last time you deficated. this tree's friends may be after you. You should probably wear a bunch of weight incase they decide to throw you into a wall.
[GoN]

minuspace

:?
Quote from: Capeditiea on September 03, 2018, 08:37:37 AM
is the tree okay?

just besure to wear red... and brown depending on the last time you deficated. this tree's friends may be after you. You should probably wear a bunch of weight incase they decide to throw you into a wall.

it's like I still have little bits of placental matter behind my ears from the last hit. That must be how they find me. Bbecause otherwise I duct-tape everything to my body.

axod

Quote from: LuciferX on September 03, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
is the tree okay?

it's like I still have little bits of placental matter behind my ears from the last hit. That must be how they find me. Bbecause otherwise I duct-tape everything to my body.

psst... the wall, it's full of holes.
just this

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 02, 2018, 03:47:01 PM
Sometimes, I'll see someone walking with their head down, focused on their smartphone, oblivious to their surroundings, and I'll feel the urge to pounce on them.

It's not as if I wish them harm, or want to beat them up and take their stuff.  I'm not even particularly irritated at their inattention; there's no rational thought process here.

Perhaps this is an attribute of my inner six-year-old, who still thinks it's funny to sneak up on people and make Sudden Noises.  Maybe, dozens of generations ago, one of my ancestors survived by hunting via stealth, and some of his genes persisted through decades of domestication.  Or it could be that this is my way of saying, "Hi.  Safety is an illusion.  You're a wild creature out in the wild, and you've dropped your defenses.  I might be a flabby little geek with low threat potential, but the next thing you meet could be a stray coyote1, or a wandering cultist2.  You should take better care of yourself."

I've never done anything about this, of course, but perhaps someday I'll work up the nerve to stand in their path, adopt a Ginyu Force pose, and see what happens.

Unrelated note:  A couple days ago, I had just left work, was looking down at my phone to make a call, and got whapped in the face by a low hanging tree branch.  The grounds staff should probably trim that.

If I'm a hypocrite, then recognizing I'm a hypocrite doesn't make me less of a hypocrite.  It makes me a double hypocrite.  But knowing I'm a double hypocrite doesn't make me a triple hypocrite.  It has to end somewhere.

----------

1Coyotes wander into the city, now and then.  They're after the jackrabbits, I suppose.
2Jehova's Witness.  They're not as bad as they used to be.

You can never relax.  You should never relax.  You should live your life in a haze of anxiety.
Molon Lube

Capeditiea

Quote from: LuciferX on September 03, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
is the tree okay?

:O you may need more duck tape and ducks. because they obviously love using duck tape. :D
[GoN]