News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Witzelsucht: the Joker Syndrome

Started by Cramulus, September 26, 2018, 09:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

QuoteWitzelsucht is a set of rare neurological symptoms characterized by a tendency to make puns, or tell inappropriate jokes or pointless stories in socially inappropriate situations. It makes one unable to read sarcasm. A less common symptom is hypersexuality, the tendency to make sexual comments at inappropriate times or situations.

In our hearts,
we all already knew puns were a sign of brain damage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witzelsucht

Cain

"It makes one unable to read sarcasm."

This would explain why sarcastically mocking compulsive punners never works.

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on September 26, 2018, 09:34:40 PM

QuoteWitzelsucht is a set of rare neurological symptoms characterized by a tendency to make puns, or tell inappropriate jokes or pointless stories in socially inappropriate situations. It makes one unable to read sarcasm. A less common symptom is hypersexuality, the tendency to make sexual comments at inappropriate times or situations.

In our hearts,

This really explains a lot.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

chaotic neutral observer

In our hearts,

Brain damage?
Quelle dommage!

An incorrigible punster on a Discord channel I frequent, flounced abruptly and inexplicably during what I thought was a relatively minor disagreement.  It's the second or third time he's done that; he doesn't strike me as very robust, psychologically speaking.  I don't think he fits the Witzelsucht pattern, but it is interesting that excessive punning might be linked to other mental problems.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

In our hearts,

So basically there is now a medical term for Monty Python fans.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 27, 2018, 12:29:19 AM
In our hearts,

Brain damage?
Quelle dommage!

An incorrigible punster on a Discord channel I frequent, flounced abruptly and inexplicably during what I thought was a relatively minor disagreement.  It's the second or third time he's done that; he doesn't strike me as very robust, psychologically speaking.  I don't think he fits the Witzelsucht pattern, but it is interesting that excessive punning might be linked to other mental problems.

You should have seen this joint in 2004-2005.  We were a pack of damage cases.  Flouncing was a daily exercise that damn near everyone indulged in.  I probably flounced 3 times a week.
Molon Lube

hooplala

I was built entirely from flounce around 2006.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Fujikoma

This is, very interesting. Been trying to figure out what's wrong with my mind, exaclty, not one to self-diagnose, but a bit of understanding as far as the brain is concerned is a good thing, maybe. Numerous cases of severe head trauma, not fun.

I need to look up the meaning of the word "flounce" before I make an inappropriate comment about your mother.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on September 28, 2018, 07:01:17 PM
This is, very interesting. Been trying to figure out what's wrong with my mind, exaclty, not one to self-diagnose, but a bit of understanding as far as the brain is concerned is a good thing, maybe. Numerous cases of severe head trauma, not fun.

I need to look up the meaning of the word "flounce" before I make an inappropriate comment about your mother.

Look, odds are better than average that there is nothing wrong with your fucking mind, it's just that you live on a damn hell planet and what you're seeing is ACTUAL REALITY.

Stop bitching about it, it's making it hard for the rest of us to pretend everything is fine. 
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

I think that was just the pick me up I needed, Dok... except, er, my brain IS kinda, screwy. I look for the silver lining, and, still can't find it, other than everyone forgets I'm an asshole after a while. Might be a super-power.