News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

General Electric bites the big one. Post Fucked Companies Here.

Started by Doktor Howl, October 01, 2018, 10:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Quote from: Emo Howard on November 18, 2018, 06:58:56 PM
Sears has been swirling the drain since at least the 90's. I worked at one of their call centers for about a month when they first tried to get rid of the catalog... `92 or `93, I think. I remember a girl in a cubicle across from me talking to some creep about panties for like 45 minutes.

Anyways, they're closing the sears in my town, along with a couple hundred others.

The stupid thing about Sears is that if worked with the catalog model and invested in a purchasing website, they could've provided some competition with Amazon.  Or kept Amazon from being a thing.

Er one stupid thing about Sears, there's many stupid things they did that killed them. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

IBM keeps turning away money from things if you need people to make the things work.  Doesn't matter if it'd be profitable, the margin has to be incredibly high if it involves a human.

Though buying Red Hat makes sense just business and tech wise, but I'm more worried about them killing Red Hat.  They acquire a thing that has all sorts of products, take the piece out they like and abandon everything else.  Even if those other things are what the company they acquired is known for.

Bruno

Quote from: Trivial on November 20, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on November 18, 2018, 06:58:56 PM
Sears has been swirling the drain since at least the 90's. I worked at one of their call centers for about a month when they first tried to get rid of the catalog... `92 or `93, I think. I remember a girl in a cubicle across from me talking to some creep about panties for like 45 minutes.

Anyways, they're closing the sears in my town, along with a couple hundred others.

The stupid thing about Sears is that if worked with the catalog model and invested in a purchasing website, they could've provided some competition with Amazon.  Or kept Amazon from being a thing.

Er one stupid thing about Sears, there's many stupid things they did that killed them.

Amazon seemed to kind of come out of nowhere as the mega-giant internet retailer they are today. Back in the day, their main competitor was Borders.com. Then they were trying to compete with eBay or something, which was cute. Then suddenly they were the place you go to to buy things on the internet.

Quote from: Trivial on November 20, 2018, 04:03:32 PM
IBM keeps turning away money from things if you need people to make the things work.  Doesn't matter if it'd be profitable, the margin has to be incredibly high if it involves a human.

IBM knows what's up. Humans are going out of style. We were always just a fad, anyway.
Formerly something else...

Trivial

Quote from: Emo Howard on November 20, 2018, 06:29:45 PM

IBM knows what's up. Humans are going out of style. We were always just a fad, anyway.

Well, yes.

Just noting that they will choose no money over some money under certain circumstances. 

Automation will get to everything, but they are killing things now and some of those things will be lost before they have the know-how to automate them.

Trivial

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

Wow.  That's kind of huge.  It would be explosive, if we didn't have a blindingly incompetent president sucking up all the media attention.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2019, 01:44:47 PM
Wow.  That's kind of huge.  It would be explosive, if we didn't have a blindingly incompetent president sucking up all the media attention.

Well, yeah.  It's going to leave a crater, and possibly hasten along this iteration of bundled mortgage defaults.
Molon Lube