News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Don't worry, he'll send a bear to maul some kids for making fun of a bald man soon enough.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM
Don't worry, he'll send a bear to maul some kids for making fun of a bald man soon enough.


Nobody ever did that for me.  :cry:
Molon Lube

hooplala

Don't forget this one:

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns."
- Ecclesiastes 25:6:4
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on October 02, 2018, 03:50:24 AM
Don't forget this one:

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns."
- Ecclesiastes 25:6:4

This has NEVER been more true.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 02, 2018, 01:18:06 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM
Don't worry, he'll send a bear to maul some kids for making fun of a bald man soon enough.


Nobody ever did that for me.  :cry:

This may have been an Elisha specific deal.  Perform some more miracles and prophecies - maybe God won't notice the difference.

Doktor Howl

I'm just sitting here watching Brett Kavenaugh get pushed under the bus.  :lulz:

Every fucking day is a festival.
Molon Lube

axod

#6
Fine, I 'need' some new computers in order to watch/serve the show. So I look at my favorite friendly purveyor of stylishly modded unix boxes, uncle mac. To my horror, they soldered all user servicable parts to the 'logic' board of their portable devices. If history (mine) is any guide, this does not bode well for my use profile... Also, I use blender, which supposedly melts the clock on this 'optimized' configuration. Does anyone have any advice before I get fired for using boxes that are over a decade young?

[cost is not an issue, apparently, but I'm not guaranteed full upgrade for who knows how long]
just this

Doktor Howl

Quote from: axod on October 04, 2018, 08:55:04 PM
Fine, I 'need' some new computers in order to watch/serve the show. So I look at my favorite friendly purveyor of stylishly modded unix boxes, uncle mac. To my horror, they soldered all user servicable parts to the 'logic' board of their portable devices. If history (mine) is any guide, this does not bode well for my use profile... Also, I use blender, which supposedly melts the clock on this 'optimized' configuration. Does anyone have any advice before I get fired for using boxes that are over a decade young?

[cost is not an issue, apparently, but I'm not guaranteed full upgrade for who knows how long]


Never again buy from that person.  I have tossed vendors involving millions of dollars per year over that sort of shit.  Then I make it known that I did.
Molon Lube

axod

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 04, 2018, 09:38:30 PM
Quote from: axod on October 04, 2018, 08:55:04 PM
Fine, I 'need' some new computers in order to watch/serve the show. So I look at my favorite friendly purveyor of stylishly modded unix boxes, uncle mac. To my horror, they soldered all user servicable parts to the 'logic' board of their portable devices. If history (mine) is any guide, this does not bode well for my use profile... Also, I use blender, which supposedly melts the clock on this 'optimized' configuration. Does anyone have any advice before I get fired for using boxes that are over a decade young?

[cost is not an issue, apparently, but I'm not guaranteed full upgrade for who knows how long]


Never again buy from that person.  I have tossed vendors involving millions of dollars per year over that sort of shit.  Then I make it known that I did.

okay, but the other guy runs his ship like a hoar-house. at least he used to. not that theres anything wrong with that, except when you cant even synch 44kHz audio reliably. that caused at least one person to sprain an ankle.
just this

Faust

Modded Unix, uncle mac, you mean apple shite?

Yeah they mold all their components, and inject with plastic save a mm in space, kill the heat profile of the device, you can never repair a faulty component, it forces users to replace the whole thing. I've been apple free since 2016 when I got rid of itunes, haven't had their hardware since 2014. Have never looked back.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

axod

#10
Quote from: Faust on October 04, 2018, 11:00:58 PM
Modded Unix, uncle mac, you mean apple shite?

Yeah they mold all their components, and inject with plastic save a mm in space, kill the heat profile of the device, you can never repair a faulty component, it forces users to replace the whole thing. I've been apple free since 2016 when I got rid of itunes, haven't had their hardware since 2014. Have never looked back.

if I may be so bold, could you be kind enough to tell us what you run?
(I did enjoy osX's free bsd kernel and bash shell)
(I might just get a 2017 and run a linux box)

[edit 0]
IIRC some noob now owns git. so i feel a smidge less sure of myself.

[edit 1]
Q) Dear Axod, why is your knowledge of hardware so deplorable?
A) Internet porn, Sir.
just this

Faust

I have a custom build laptop from PC specialist
https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/laptops/

I7, 16 GB RAM, older graphics card (as the newest game I play on this is morrowind), SSD for the OS, regular sata for larger storage
My one regret is I went cheap on the case (at the time I thought I don't care about looks), but there are a couple of robustness issues with the plastic, if you go down this route and spend a lot on the internals, spend a little more on the case.

For the OS a mix of debian, and windows 10 (which probably means the 3 letter agencies know everything about me, but I'm not very exciting).
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

As an aside, ppl round here been running a shit-ton of red lights bout me. I'd lov to think it just a ludic principle. Or, are people really losing it for real this time?

Cain

I will say on the graphics card front, you can still get away with a GTX 1060 for most modern games.  I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider the other week and it runs almost perfectly on a mix of high and ultra settings.  Anything more is nice, but completely unnecessary until probably the next-gen consoles are released.  Unless you're mining bitcoins or something, but then you're a terrible person anyway.

Eater of Clowns

I was using my custom box to mine Necronomicoin, until it crawled up the wall and screamed in 1000 voices. :(
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Quote
the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.