News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

I made the executive decision at 2AM that I'm gonna bite the bullet and sometime in the next two months I'm going to get my name and gender marker changed on everything but my birth certificate (which isn't from Massachusetts and so is a hell of a lot harder).

This process involves all of two things: going to Fenway Health, and spending around 300 dollars.

Okay, I'm glossing over a lot of paperwork and visiting various offices, but those are the two MAIN things.

I intend to be fucking up badly coded database software throughout the state real soon.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Good luck for both of you with your transitions, seriously. I know a little about it, it seems like a daunting prospect at the best of times (and these are clearly not that).

I'm looking into the freelance copywriting and content creation industry. Plus: setting my own hours, working from home, I'm a fast enough writer that I can output 1500 words a day on subjects I know nothing about, no problem. Negatives: convincing myself to write things instead of trolling politicians all day on Twitter. Some of the sites in question are also in America, which can only mean good things given the current exchange rate.

altered

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2019, 07:59:11 AM
Good luck for both of you with your transitions, seriously. I know a little about it, it seems like a daunting prospect at the best of times (and these are clearly not that).

I'm looking into the freelance copywriting and content creation industry. Plus: setting my own hours, working from home, I'm a fast enough writer that I can output 1500 words a day on subjects I know nothing about, no problem. Negatives: convincing myself to write things instead of trolling politicians all day on Twitter. Some of the sites in question are also in America, which can only mean good things given the current exchange rate.

I appreciate the thought, but I at least am in Massachusetts. I wasn't joking about the effort required being low: I need only find a trans friendly doctor to vigorously nod when prompted regarding my treatment being sufficient to transition legally. And the name change is just a paperwork thing and a court fee.

Yeah, I need to publish it in a local paper, but I don't care too much about that. And I can choose my paper. Maybe I'll pick the local queer newspaper. Or maybe the local old people newspaper, for kicks.

After that's done, the same documents used for name and ID gender marker change fix my social security card too. So it's basically just taking things to offices and waving them at bureaucrats, after the initial court thing. I've had more difficult website signups.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: nullified on September 15, 2019, 06:55:30 AM
I intend to be fucking up badly coded database software throughout the state real soon.
You are doing the Goddess's work.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 15, 2019, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: nullified on September 15, 2019, 06:55:30 AM
You are doing the Goddess's work.

But of course! :lulz:

If your website, database, or other data input software cannot handle LASTNAME="Null" then you don't deserve to have it. Also, it's my religious duty to scare up all of the bugs and garbage that surround me in day to day life so I can point at them and go "WOW! Look at that! It's super neat! I bet it will be my friend!" while everyone else screams and runs away in pants-shitting terror.

Doktor Howl

Every day, I learn things at this new gig that horrify me.

Friday's topic:  "When dealing with a mob, the number one rule is to eliminate the agitators before the mob starts to move."
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

More, please. Sounds like good prep material to appropriately adjust from the strange times to the horrible times.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 15, 2019, 06:55:29 PM
More, please. Sounds like good prep material to appropriately adjust from the strange times to the horrible times.

It's all intuitive, just not things a reasonable person thinks about.

"If the mob does begin to move, target the ones who allow the crowd to pass them by."

"Whichever side can escalate violence *faster* wins.  Momentum is based on escalation, not capability."

"If someone is pulled out of the line, you forget them and reform the line."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

What's fucked up is that these work no matter which side of the line you are on.
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

"If the mob does begin to move, target the ones who allow the crowd to pass them by."

Hmmm, so I should find a new tactic.

Al Qədic

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2019, 07:59:11 AM

Luck is appreciated. We'll see what good it does in the face of the American healthcare system, but at least I'm lucky enough to have been born in California. :lulz:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

altered

I always assume malice in the face of telecommunications companies and healthcare providers. They are incompetent, greed driven, assume user stupidity, and will outright lie to you to get you to go away without changing anything.

And if I need to go to them I do the same thing to both types of company: I repeat myself over and over again until the problem is resolved, and accept no answer other than "one moment while I fix that" followed by resolution of the problem.

They are not on your side.

Trivial

Heard a funny one from an acquaintance, he noticed that his birth certificate had the wrong gender on it, so he went in to the parish clerk (I think ?)to have it corrected.  They said they'd send in an official copy.

He gets a photocopy showing the F crossed out with M written in sharpie. 

He said he wondered what they'd do if he were transgender.

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

altered

It’s a really fucking strange feeling to be able to plan ahead a week. It’s been years of having to make decisions on the basis of immediate needs and not being able to think about tomorrow, let alone next week.

Finally, I have the capability of budgeting, not as a personal ability thing (I’ve always had that) but as a “there is money I don’t need right this second to not die or go mad” thing. I can actually exercise this capability I have of planning ahead and making decisions.

Even accounting for bad decisions (some quite intentional), I’ve got 270 dollars in a “savings account” (since all my banking is through PayPal, this is actually just an Acorns investment account and I use it simply because it integrates nicely to PayPal and the money is explicitly not immediately available to me: it takes time and effort to access it) and I’ve built up a sizeable chunk that hasn’t migrated that direction quite yet out of sheer nervousness about maybe needing it.

It’s weird.

Edit:

Having taken several Tucson calls here now, I can confirm for those outside the gravity well that Tucson is indeed just Like That.

Highlights:
“I’m sorry; normally we’d continue to troubleshoot for a temporary fix but your system is possessed by demons.”
“I’m not sure whether to ask you to call the installers again or to pray to your deity of choice: both seem appropriate. Can I offer you two free months?”
“We have an IP address, we have a connection, but your SIM card is suspended and will not reactivate. It’s probably a visual thing, but if your system magically stops working please call us so we can replace it.”