News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla! on September 27, 2019, 01:16:46 PM
Yeah, they mentioned that to us. Even within Italy, depending where it comes from affects the taste. The oil I have right now is from Sorrento, so I can really only comment on that.

I can't speak to the quality of the olives, but the town is fantastic

Cain

Also it's right next to Naples, so probably, like everything else in Naples, it's owned or extorted by the Camorra.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on September 27, 2019, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on September 27, 2019, 01:16:46 PM
Yeah, they mentioned that to us. Even within Italy, depending where it comes from affects the taste. The oil I have right now is from Sorrento, so I can really only comment on that.

I can't speak to the quality of the olives, but the town is fantastic

It. Is. Gorgeous.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on September 27, 2019, 03:42:26 PM
Also it's right next to Naples, so probably, like everything else in Naples, it's owned or extorted by the Camorra.

Likely true. I only passed through Naples, but what I saw was less visually pleasing than everywhere else I visited in Italy.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

I actually liked the old city of Naples. You could see the distinctive Spanish influence on the architecture.

The rest of the city...well, I understand why people don't like it, though I don't share the sentiment. Naples is gloriously loud, chaotic, dirty and dangerous. It's certainly better to visit than to live in.

Sorrento is about half an hour out, I think? No more than an hour, certainly. It's beautiful looking, but it also stands in stark contrast to Naples in terms of being quiet, clean and safe. The food is almost as good as well. I spent a rather relaxing day walking around the town, then having lunch (and returning for dinner) to a small cafe a couple of streets off from the Piazza Tasso, the main square.

Cramulus

Cain

I wish they were mine. I put mine on a hard drive that is sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe somewhere, so I stole this from the internet.

But they are undeniably great photos.

altered

I like the sound of the Greek oil. Also the Balkan oil.

I might end up becoming a fucking olive oil snob, and I am pretty sure that's perfectly in keeping with who I am  :lulz:

ETA: also I bought a ticket to my third concert ever today. It's in December. I'm going if it kills me. Really looking forward to seeing these guys live: https://streetsects.bandcamp.com/
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on September 27, 2019, 04:22:25 PM
I actually liked the old city of Naples. You could see the distinctive Spanish influence on the architecture.

The rest of the city...well, I understand why people don't like it, though I don't share the sentiment. Naples is gloriously loud, chaotic, dirty and dangerous. It's certainly better to visit than to live in.

Sorrento is about half an hour out, I think? No more than an hour, certainly. It's beautiful looking, but it also stands in stark contrast to Naples in terms of being quiet, clean and safe. The food is almost as good as well. I spent a rather relaxing day walking around the town, then having lunch (and returning for dinner) to a small cafe a couple of streets off from the Piazza Tasso, the main square.

To be fair to Naples, I just arrived by train and then drive to Sorrento (it was about an hour, but traffic was brutal - because it was Sunday, apparently) so I likely didnt see any if the nice parts - nor did I get to try any of the food. I loved the food in Sorrento though.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Well, I don't know if the Old City is necessarily a nice part...it's where the Camorra came from, after all. But it is interesting.

And narrow. Very, very narrow.

The food there was mostly fish, lighter on the pasta, heavier on the tomato and sauce. A very welcome change, after northern Italy.

Grapes

I think people may not understand when I'm joking.
I have a hard time putting any inflection in my voice. I'm almost always monotone. Even when in my head I think I'm putting on a funny voice, its always the same bored voice coming out. 

I was doing an on campus volenteering job where you get to pretend to be a secretary at school. Answering phone calls, handing out brochures, but the main part of my job is to make sure that every one who visits campus signs into a book and takes a visitor badge.

So today I am doing my volentold job. When a young woman comes to visit her partner on campus. She stops at the desk. Tells me she needs to sign in. I just nod and say. "Yeah, you do." And hand her a badge. The book is on the table infront of her. "Where do I sign in?" I look her in the eyes, look at the book, then back to her. Only to get cricket noises as a response. I take my pointer finger and point to a blank spot on the table. "Right here." She gives me a odd look. "Right there?" "Yep, right there on the table." "Uhh.. do you have a pen?" I open the desk drawer and pull out a sharpie. "This will do, name date and id badge number. In that order, remember to return the badge when you leave." This lady, like a fucking legend writes her name on the table. Thanks me, then walks out.

I showed my friend then cleaned it up with hand sanitizer. 

Dairy entry over.

The Johnny

Are you american by any chance? Cause "american humour" is generally just a retarded excuse for abusing or making fun of someone.

For someone to appreciate a joke or humour, they need to be in on it, and not in a general sense a target of it.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Grapes

Yeah, I'm in America.

Suppose it, wouldn't be funny to them. Cause they're not in on it. More a story about how I think I'm being sarcastic, but people take me seriously.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Grapes on September 28, 2019, 04:29:54 AM
Yeah, I'm in America.

Suppose it, wouldn't be funny to them. Cause they're not in on it. More a story about how I think I'm being sarcastic, but people take me seriously.

Worse is when you think you're being serious and people think you're being sarcastic.
Molon Lube

Cain

A lot of Brits seem to think Americans, especially older Americans, don't get sarcasm.

I don't  know how true that really is, since we've elevated conversational cruelty and misstatement to an art form (a former workplace's style guide reminds us "when you say something is fine or good, American readers consider that a compliment, not a statement of insufficiency") but it could be part of the problem.