News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Cain, can you please send this to Zon at Once Again, Satan is the Logical and Compassionate Choice?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Or anyone else who is not busy.

I am FB banned for 30 days.
Molon Lube

Juana

Gotta love those Facebook community standards.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Juana on November 05, 2019, 05:08:53 AM

Can you post that to Zon?  And maybe holler that I'm out on my page?  I'd appreciate it.
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

I got muted from a discord recently for bullying someone, thing is the bullied person had me on mute (and had a policy of bullying anyone like me in the past)... all I had to do is reveal that they said "lmao" out loud and that tipped the dominos. An admin swooped in to save the day by muting like, four or five people in one swoop, I guess mister bully was going to cry or something. I told the admin in question that while I understand, surely they must see the humor. Admins aren't allowed to have a sense of humor it seems.

See, this shitlord is arrogant as fuck. In some ways it's justified because he writes some straight up legit Path of Exile guides, but he's still a dick so I shoved something up his peehole. I was drunk at the time, in hindsight, it was a dumb decision. I keep thinking about the kind of pain I may've caused his massive ego and asking "Was it really worth it to hurt someone like that? I'm an asshole."

Juana

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 05, 2019, 05:10:16 AM
Quote from: Juana on November 05, 2019, 05:08:53 AM

Can you post that to Zon?  And maybe holler that I'm out on my page?  I'd appreciate it.
Zon's aware but I'll go post on your page, for sure!
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

Quote from: Fujikoma on November 05, 2019, 05:31:48 AM
I got muted from a discord recently for bullying someone, thing is the bullied person had me on mute (and had a policy of bullying anyone like me in the past)... all I had to do is reveal that they said "lmao" out loud and that tipped the dominos. An admin swooped in to save the day by muting like, four or five people in one swoop, I guess mister bully was going to cry or something. I told the admin in question that while I understand, surely they must see the humor. Admins aren't allowed to have a sense of humor it seems.

See, this shitlord is arrogant as fuck. In some ways it's justified because he writes some straight up legit Path of Exile guides, but he's still a dick so I shoved something up his peehole. I was drunk at the time, in hindsight, it was a dumb decision. I keep thinking about the kind of pain I may've caused his massive ego and asking "Was it really worth it to hurt someone like that? I'm an asshole."
Compost all of them.

Fujikoma

I think if I composted them, the resulting fertilizer would contaminate the vegitation.

altered

Hey, Fujikoma, protip: all videogaming communities are full of awful, awful fucking people and should be burned to the ground.

I don't know what it is about videogaming that brings out the absolute worst in people, but even the queer heavy spaces get positively fucking horrific about shit like "SJWs" and "fake gamers".

I managed to find TWO I could tolerate to date. The first one is for an unreleased XCOM-like called Phoenix Point. The second one was for the classic roguelike developer/fan community around RogueBasin. (I left that one due to some weird behavior of a user that in retrospect I think I misinterpreted the intent of.)

Somehow, both of those are perfectly fine. It's uncanny not having to brace for Pepes and Nazi memes and rape threats where video games are involved, particularly in the communities for the hardest of the hardcore.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: nullified on November 05, 2019, 05:53:18 AM
Hey, Fujikoma, protip: all videogaming communities are full of awful, awful fucking people and should be burned to the ground.

I don't know what it is about videogaming that brings out the absolute worst in people, but even the queer heavy spaces get positively fucking horrific about shit like "SJWs" and "fake gamers".

I managed to find TWO I could tolerate to date. The first one is for an unreleased XCOM-like called Phoenix Point. The second one was for the classic roguelike developer/fan community around RogueBasin. (I left that one due to some weird behavior of a user that in retrospect I think I misinterpreted the intent of.)

Somehow, both of those are perfectly fine. It's uncanny not having to brace for Pepes and Nazi memes and rape threats where video games are involved, particularly in the communities for the hardest of the hardcore.

In my murky side of the internets, the appropriate term is "toxic communities" or the synonym "cancer communities".

Multiplayer games which revolve around ranked gameplay 100% are that way; story driven games/RPGs and communities rarely.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 05, 2019, 04:24:48 AM
Cain, can you please send this to Zon at Once Again, Satan is the Logical and Compassionate Choice?

Sorry, I was asleep.

Zon has said that there will be zero tolerance from now on however for any kind of shitneckery in the group.

Cain

Quote from: The Johnny on November 05, 2019, 06:47:15 AM

In my murky side of the internets, the appropriate term is "toxic communities" or the synonym "cancer communities".

Multiplayer games which revolve around ranked gameplay 100% are that way; story driven games/RPGs and communities rarely.

I agree with this. Luckily, the ESO and Bioware communities are pretty great, (ending of Mass Effect 3 aside and the month around the latest significant patch day aside) otherwise I'd have to go back to modding Skyrim in my spare time.

chaotic neutral observer

Yeah, the JRPG discord I hang out at is pretty mellow.  Serious political discussions have been known to devolve into arguments over how to season potatoes.  Rosemary or GTFO
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Fujikoma

Yeah, the weird thing is I end up the resident "SJW" in a lot of communities, because I'm pushing back against a lot of alt-right bullshit. The irony is palpable here because I used to be one of these shitbirds. Nobody calls me out on it, I guess I'm being diplomatic? Maybe I'm not being enough of a hardass, but I do feel like I'm getting through to the feels, and like I can make a difference. Also in a number of communities you have a hard pushback composed of the actual mythical "SJW" types, and those are the ones everyone takes issue with. Those sorts of polarizing games don't do anyone any favors, and tend to serve only the ego.

I'm all for LGBTQ persons being able to interact without being harrassed and bullied. The sad fact of the matter is that just one or two militant representitives of said community can turn a community toxic from a lashback effect. It takes me months to get on someone's good side because they've been radicalized by opposition, and then I get shit like "Well, you're one of the GOOD weirdos, unlike most of them who deserve to die in a fire." and I'm like NOOOOO!

It's really disturbing but some people are playing right into the hands of Vladamir Putin, and helping to radicalize the people they're supposed to be converting.

altered

Quote from: Cain on November 05, 2019, 11:50:46 AM

I agree with this. Luckily, the ESO and Bioware communities are pretty great, (ending of Mass Effect 3 aside and the month around the latest significant patch day aside) otherwise I'd have to go back to modding Skyrim in my spare time.

You think the ESO communities are great? UESP, of all places, has a shitty blob who is de facto untouchable in the community because he makes all the ESO content these days and everyone else is just barely keeping up with him.

Anyway Johnny is wrong because I've seen this shit in communities for fucking Troika games (Arcanum and VtMB communities are horrible and awful in particular and you'd best just stay away) and the classic Fallouts which has no competitive aspects or multiplayer in them at all so
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.