News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Well I wouldn't know about UESP. But people in the game are rarely toxic, and I'm saying that as someone who pugs, as a tank, for veteran content. Admittedly I don't do vet trials, it could be all the really salty, hyper-competitive people are in those, but if I'm doing goddamn Fang Lair HM and not getting death threats and abuse for "letting" people die, then it's a step up from a lot of other games.

altered

Oh, the IN GAME community's toxic bullshit is all hidden in the roleplaying community. And it's fucking horrible there.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Ah, I haven't had so much to do with them, though I did not the distinct scent of people huffing their own farts when looking into some of the hubs on EU.

Not to mention I can just imagine how the vampire and werewolf communities are. Goddamn furries and fangs are always the worst.

altered

Would you be surprised to hear it's the opposite?

It's the Nords and Dunmer that are the worst. Imperials aren't much better. Extremely toxic.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Oh, I think I know at least one of the guilds you are talking about. People in Great House Dres wanting to get handsy with the "help", rather than ride around all day on their awesome giant wasp cavalry.

altered

That's one. The Temple folks are shitty too, but the fuckers who split from the Temple early are the worst, because they harassed and outed a transwoman IRL over their stupid RP.

If Drethas is still around, she's the ONLY Morrowind RPer I wouldn't toss off a cliff. Hundorian also wouldn't get tossed but I don't think he counts as Morrowind, really. He just sort of gets into everything.

Cain

Urgh, that is exceptionally shitty. But now I think about it. I can definitely see how Morrowind would attract the worst kind of roleplayers.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on November 05, 2019, 05:53:18 AM
Hey, Fujikoma, protip: all videogaming communities are full of awful, awful fucking people and should be burned to the ground.

I don't know what it is about videogaming that brings out the absolute worst in people, but even the queer heavy spaces get positively fucking horrific about shit like "SJWs" and "fake gamers".

I managed to find TWO I could tolerate to date. The first one is for an unreleased XCOM-like called Phoenix Point. The second one was for the classic roguelike developer/fan community around RogueBasin. (I left that one due to some weird behavior of a user that in retrospect I think I misinterpreted the intent of.)

Somehow, both of those are perfectly fine. It's uncanny not having to brace for Pepes and Nazi memes and rape threats where video games are involved, particularly in the communities for the hardest of the hardcore.

I am thinking it's actually a status thing.  Being primates, humans need status in the pack.  A human who has no status at all in the "real world" but finds belonging in a gaming culture (or whatever else) is going to try to fit into that culture and advance his own stock in it.

Add that to a toxic culture where "real men" are "strong" and don't care about women or minorities or whatever, and you have this.

The basic result is the three-time loser:

They have no status in their world.
They shit on others  to try to gain status in an artificial environment, even if it dooms them to forever being a loser in their actual environment.
They see no problem with this.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Cain on November 05, 2019, 05:05:39 PM
Urgh, that is exceptionally shitty. But now I think about it. I can definitely see how Morrowind would attract the worst kind of roleplayers.

It attracted the best kind too, except they all bailed after a few weeks of too much horseshit and went to High Rock, which also had the best ever werewolf and vampire guilds in roleplaying history.

Legitimately interesting werewolf angst (cursed nobility attempting to return honor to the family name combined with outrageous and hilarious harm reduction schemes, an intentional comedy of errors), vampire stories focused on lone vampires who aren't entirely sure what happened (based more on Morrowind vampires) and Direnni research into vampirism (very Tremere feeling, that group).

Cain

Would that be the Stormhaven RP hub? I've seen it mentioned a bit.

Fujikoma

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 05, 2019, 05:10:04 PM
Quote from: nullified on November 05, 2019, 05:53:18 AM
Hey, Fujikoma, protip: all videogaming communities are full of awful, awful fucking people and should be burned to the ground.

I don't know what it is about videogaming that brings out the absolute worst in people, but even the queer heavy spaces get positively fucking horrific about shit like "SJWs" and "fake gamers".

I managed to find TWO I could tolerate to date. The first one is for an unreleased XCOM-like called Phoenix Point. The second one was for the classic roguelike developer/fan community around RogueBasin. (I left that one due to some weird behavior of a user that in retrospect I think I misinterpreted the intent of.)

Somehow, both of those are perfectly fine. It's uncanny not having to brace for Pepes and Nazi memes and rape threats where video games are involved, particularly in the communities for the hardest of the hardcore.

I am thinking it's actually a status thing.  Being primates, humans need status in the pack.  A human who has no status at all in the "real world" but finds belonging in a gaming culture (or whatever else) is going to try to fit into that culture and advance his own stock in it.

Add that to a toxic culture where "real men" are "strong" and don't care about women or minorities or whatever, and you have this.

The basic result is the three-time loser:

They have no status in their world.
They shit on others  to try to gain status in an artificial environment, even if it dooms them to forever being a loser in their actual environment.
They see no problem with this.

Well, that makes WAY too much sense. Shame though.

Doktor Howl

I think that this may be the best year for chaos ever.

It's like you can point at America or the UK and make up the weirdest possible shit based on what's going on, only you read about it the next day in the paper.
Molon Lube

altered

The Strange Times was a name we applied a few years too early, for all the wrong reasons.

The season is Aftermath, I say.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 11, 2019, 01:53:31 AM
Quote from: Junkenstein on July 10, 2019, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 09, 2019, 04:35:45 AM
Quote from: Al Qədic on July 09, 2019, 04:09:51 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 08, 2019, 09:19:03 AM
My milkshake hit a proud boy in the head
It was concrete, and it cracked his Dome
Damn right, it cracked his Dome.
Nobody sorry that he wound up dead. X2

He was a skinhead
And nobody sorry
No political platform for
The fascist scum
Think they want some
So here it comes

La la, la la, la
Mix one up
La la, la la, la
Proud boys are bleeding
La la, la la, la
Mix one up
La la, la la, la
Proud boys are bleeding

Nobody sorry that he wound up dead X2

I can see you're angry
Well I can show thee
Milkshakes that kill proud boys
They're not store bought
Just don't get caught
Mask up if you're smart

La la, la la, la
Mix one up
La la, la la, la
Proud boys are bleeding
La la, la la, la
Mix one up
La la, la la, la
Proud boys are bleeding

Nobody sorry that he wound up dead X2
Damnit, I can tell when Dok parodies Mairzy Doats, but you put this shit in front of me and suddenly I can't figure out the tune.

Good song though, me like. :lol:
"
Shit, I do PD Paradise and Bye Bye Discordian Pie, and I get remembered for Mairzy Doats.

I'm so alone.   :sad:

I'm still waiting for the promised Peter Gabriel cover.

Do I LOOK like a barbarian?

Now I want to find a way to send that to Kelis. I think she'd like it.

Dok, fb jail again? What happened this time?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division