News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

money is always good!

on that note, i just realized i can file for unemployment during the summer! (i'm a substitute teacher these days) hopefully i'll be a full teacher come this fall and i have reasonable savings but goddamn, it would be a load off my shoulders to have some fucking income during the summer. i have a program to pay for and another set of credential tests to take bc social science teachers are a dime a dozen but english teachers are not.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Really? I'm surprised by that.  Over here, history and English teachers are a dime a dozen, it's hard sciences, maths and languages where the recruiting falls (because those graduates especially have far better options than a 25% chance of being violently attacked, per week, for below graduate pay, long hours and increasingly, working through holidays).

Juana

Quote from: Cain on May 02, 2019, 05:45:17 PM
Really? I'm surprised by that.  Over here, history and English teachers are a dime a dozen, it's hard sciences, maths and languages where the recruiting falls (because those graduates especially have far better options than a 25% chance of being violently attacked, per week, for below graduate pay, long hours and increasingly, working through holidays).
oh, there's a signing bonus for STEM teachers in my state. none of the rest of us get that, not even SPED teachers akaik despite the fact that special education is also a high need area. but yeah, with teacher burn out and options available (i guess?) to english BAs elsewhere, there's always need for that subject. it's social science and PE that are hard to land in desirable districts bc people squat on them forever.

being attacked is a possibility at some of the schools in my district, which is where i'd like to work, but i've literally never been concerned about it. we've got a union, too. last round of negotiations, discipline was one of the things on the docket and they got a small pay bump but teachers here get paid like they live in LA. there are also districts in the surrounding area that pay significantly more even for first year teachers. we're talking like $60k but then you have to either live in those rinky dink towns or take an extremely cursed highway through murderfog in the winter, and n o p e, no thanks.

i hear teachers in the UK have it even rougher than we do here, though, so i'm not surprised to hear that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Telarus

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with actual critiques of those ridiculous seige-defense tactics. It felt like "well, we only have so much time to setup the final climax, and we need everyone to be overwhelmed.... so, cut all the good tactics, we don't have screen time for them."

It was neat to see a trick my silat guru taught me take down the Night King, tho. Trust me, catching a falling knife like that ain't easy.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

IntentionallyLeftBlank

I swear to god I'm going to write something soon. I know it's like weeks/months between posts and shit, but for some reason my brain can't track a forum as quickly as it used to. Days go by and I'm like "oh, yeah, I gotta contribute something to PD soon..." And then it gets procrastinated on, subsequently forgotten about, rinse, repeat. Fuck.

Anyhow, I feel like maybe if I just mention some things I'd like to write, it might set a mild sense of obligation. But I've really wanted to do a sort of "post mortem" on BIP 2013. My deep involvement on the latter end of the project was something that had quite an effect on me, and maybe I could share some behind the scenes shit... We'll see I guess.
No Signature

Don Coyote

not being on facebook is kind of weird

Al Qədic

Upon closer inspection, cuttlefish are basically adorable squishy cthulhus. With this in mind, I'm disappointed that there isn't an art trend of drawing cuttlethulhu.

But apparently one thing that does exist is the cuttlefish of cthulhu...which is the penis of a CG character that acts as a stand-in for a thrash metal band member... :horrormirth:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: IntentionallyLeftBlank on May 09, 2019, 08:04:57 PM
I swear to god I'm going to write something soon. I know it's like weeks/months between posts and shit, but for some reason my brain can't track a forum as quickly as it used to. Days go by and I'm like "oh, yeah, I gotta contribute something to PD soon..." And then it gets procrastinated on, subsequently forgotten about, rinse, repeat. Fuck.

Same.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Don Coyote on May 10, 2019, 03:39:58 AM

How so? I'm not really into social media like at all, so I'm curious what you're noticing about not being on it.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

Quote from: IntentionallyLeftBlank on May 09, 2019, 08:04:57 PM
But I've really wanted to do a sort of "post mortem" on BIP 2013. My deep involvement on the latter end of the project was something that had quite an effect on me, and maybe I could share some behind the scenes shit... We'll see I guess.

same, I've been thinking about how it might be useful to do a short-run of small 1-paragraph descriptions of prison cells & bars

my own thinking about the BIP has come so far since the original pamphlet, it's still a huge part of my psychology... and I feel like I should boil it down into something useful.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Al Qədic on May 10, 2019, 05:05:52 AM
Upon closer inspection, cuttlefish are basically adorable squishy cthulhus. With this in mind, I'm disappointed that there isn't an art trend of drawing cuttlethulhu.

But apparently one thing that does exist is the cuttlefish of cthulhu...which is the penis of a CG character that acts as a stand-in for a thrash metal band member... :horrormirth:

Don Coyote

Quote from: nullified on May 10, 2019, 12:18:04 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on May 10, 2019, 03:39:58 AM

How so? I'm not really into social media like at all, so I'm curious what you're noticing about not being on it.

Pretty much the only way I kept up with my extended family and friends. But I ditched fb because it's been regularly reminding of some shit. Also fuck zuck.

altered

Ah, gotcha. Well, I hope it goes well for you, and you can find another way to keep in touch with those you care to keep in touch with.

I'm just waiting for the social media site I care to use to finally show up: thus far, no luck. One day, maybe.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Juana

i'd like to delete mine, too, bc uuuuuugh facebook, but also i have cousins/friends i like who i have no other way to keep track of/in touch with.

Fujikoma

Facebook is that place where all my family and best friends' family dissappoint me with pro-trump posts calling liberals "tards" every three minutes. I have a facebook page, but I can't be arsed to check it.