News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

My Game of thrones take... Played it safe. Not disappointed but not satisfied either. A lot of lavish iconography but minimal plot development. The resolution through melodrama for the first plotline I felt rang hollow. The resolution for the kingdom, was less so, but still felt off.
Poochie flew away to his home planet where I assume at some point he will get voiced by Sean Connery.
Since the books ran out they have avoided using a lot of dialog, and everyone but Tyrion came off clunky and big leaps occur based on small lines.
I think of Twin peaks from a couple of years ago, which I loved, but has a deliberately dissatisfying ending, a literal "you can never go home". But everything else about that was trying something artistically interesting, this is just trying to ring the right notes successfully and it did that in a very wobbly fashion.

The horse drawing  sums it up well. Seasons 1-3 were detailed rich stories driven by excellent dialog and unexpected story telling. This, was a crude approximation of that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

As I've said multiple times, after watching a Queen commanding magic beasties lay waste to armies and cities, they decided to find the next best person with incredibly exploitable and unnatural powers and make him King?

Good job everyone.  Twenty years from now, people talking shit about him are going to get pecked to death in the streets...possibly before they can even actually say anything.  Though not taking any of Grey Worm's shit was a good start.

I felt Tyrion's comments were a nice nod to the argument between Varys and Littlefinger about the nature of the realm.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2019, 01:08:36 AM
As I've said multiple times, after watching a Queen commanding magic beasties lay waste to armies and cities, they decided to find the next best person with incredibly exploitable and unnatural powers and make him King?

Good job everyone.  Twenty years from now, people talking shit about him are going to get pecked to death in the streets...possibly before they can even actually say anything.  Though not taking any of Grey Worm's shit was a good start.

I felt Tyrion's comments were a nice nod to the argument between Varys and Littlefinger about the nature of the realm.

Hey guys, monarchy doesnt seem to work, and democracy is such a retarded idea, PSHH, obviously the best solution seems to give absolute rule to AN ALL SEEING MAGICAL BIG BROTHER.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Who, if he abuses his warg powers, may be functionally immortal, lets not forget (this wasn't shown in the series, but the warg skinchanger Jon Snow kills actually escapes by placing his spirit in an eagle - which is promptly jacked by another warg and incinerated by Melisandre).

Doktor Howl

I do like the fact that the bad guys get killed just as fast as the good guys.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2019, 01:08:36 AM

His murderous impulses are clearly tempered by the power of autism. Until he Wargs Drogon (the only thing he had any interest in in his kingdoms council meeting) and declares himself God Emperor.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Juana

i got my third letter of rec yesterday and now i can start applying to more teaching jobs. the new one mentions things that i was really hoping to see (kind but firm classroom management and always in control of the room, they complain i make them work and don't let them play with their phones, p good at working with students to improve their writing). i feel like all three letters i have speak pretty damn well of me as a potential teacher but bc i'll have an intern credential, i'm still bottom of the pile. hoping the letters bump me up bc i can clearly teach and i know how to run a classroom reasonably well, even though long term and short term classroom management are very different creatures.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Al Qədic

Obligatory "whee 5/23 fnord fnord newm'rologee".  :lulz:

Scholarly bureaucracy has put me in a slump, for better and worse: on one hand, I have to crank out writings and reading about a topic that, even though it would normally be interesting to dive into, is being presented painfully dumb and pessimistically (seriously, how can digital privacy feel so trite and repetitive?). On the other hand, my mother is excited about her loving daughter, and my procrastination-for-the-sake-of-sanity has allowed me to really enjoy an update to one of my favorite mobile games, and a charity livestream that happened a few weeks back.

I also learned that one of my high school teachers (barely interacted with him on a teacher to student level, but interned in his classroom for a bit in junior year, and he seemed like a nice guy) got arrested for...well, this is a high school we're talking about, you can guess. :horrormirth:

Life is fucked and so am I. Just a few more weeks to go in the quarter, though.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Juana

Quote from: Al Qədic on May 24, 2019, 04:53:41 AM
I also learned that one of my high school teachers (barely interacted with him on a teacher to student level, but interned in his classroom for a bit in junior year, and he seemed like a nice guy) got arrested for...well, this is a high school we're talking about, you can guess. :horrormirth:
yeah, my freshman health teacher, who i liked, got arrested for banging students - in his classroom no less. i wanna fight adults who do that to kids.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Al Qədic

Happy Towel Day 2019, all. To add to the long list of useful things a towel can be used for, I recommend wearing towels of all fabrics and colors, especially on and around the cranial region. Now, anyone can make use of this trick, but in the right place and with the right skin color, you can really excite the local wildlife of the planet and continent of your choosing.

Particularly daring hitchhikers have reported that older, paler members of the neo-Magrathean species will froth at the mouth, huddle together into what the locals call "news rooms", and berate the wearer (in an odd, half-baked sort of grunting language), saying that their choice of towel accessorization is an affront to one of their many gods, which are of course just mass-hallucinations which lay dominion over their psyches. Threats of violence are commonly heard but rarely carried through, though there is much talk of foreign policy and its related struggles, so interstellar diplomats, beware! Thank goodness for Babel fish, though, eh? Without them, it would be hard to tell what passes as language with these older specimens.

In any case, do continue to sass any hoopy froods you may bump into, and enjoy some videos for your viewing pleasure.

https://youtu.be/64C0cGeb2_Y
https://youtu.be/htxUPNtdfPM
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Juana on May 24, 2019, 04:57:35 PM
Quote from: Al Qədic on May 24, 2019, 04:53:41 AM
yeah, my freshman health teacher, who i liked, got arrested for banging students - in his classroom no less. i wanna fight adults who do that to kids.
at my school it was the guy who taught cooking classes. I remember one of the girls in our class even had her suspicions before he was fired, cuz apparently he'd been ogling her pretty noticeably.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Fujikoma

Good fucking christ, howl, whoever that is had it coming but every time I see someone crying it hurts me...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 28, 2019, 01:28:10 AM
Good fucking christ, howl, whoever that is had it coming but every time I see someone crying it hurts me...

When Theresa May cries an angel gets its wings.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 28, 2019, 01:28:10 AM

Her policies while Home Office Minister saw British citizens being deported to places like Jamaica because of ridiculous burdens of proof placed on people to show that they lived here.

It also saw 90,000 students banned from entering the country and branded cheaters without due process.

It saw vans driving around ethnic minority areas of London telling immigrants to "go home", echoing some very vile 1970s racist propaganda.

And all that was before she became PM.

Don't feel sorry for her.