News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Man, the bots are getting lazy. The last one's server showed up, I shit you not, as "node.salesandmktg.com".

At least try.

Faust

I'm going to see if there if I can get a better captcha to block them, it has definitely been on the increase lately
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Trivial

Quote from: Cain on July 15, 2019, 10:56:29 AM
Is there anything Boise related worth doing?

I haven't figured out what that means.

They do have a zoo that lets you feed a bear.  I didn't get to do that.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

Feeding a bear means it's a city where there are things worth doing

The Johnny

Quote from: TQ on July 16, 2019, 03:05:59 PM

They also have woods were you can feed mountain lions, but only once.  :)
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Johnny on July 16, 2019, 05:53:00 PM

The average person has 4 limbs. You just have to be adventurous enough.

Cain

Mountain lions are just overgrown cats. Swat them on the nose and tell them "no" in a stern voice. If they push it, get the water spray.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 18, 2019, 01:27:07 AM
Mountain lions are just overgrown cats. Swat them on the nose and tell them "no" in a stern voice. If they push it, get the water spray.

:lulz: :lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Quote from: Don Coyote on July 18, 2019, 01:00:26 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on July 16, 2019, 05:53:00 PM

Hold on, isn't it, "The average person has less than four limbs"?

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: LMNO on July 18, 2019, 01:58:02 PM

It depends on which definition of average you use.
The modal person has four.  The median person also has four.  The mean person has as many limbs as he can collect before the police catch up with him.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

LMNO

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 18, 2019, 02:24:33 PM

The modal person has four.  The median person also has four.  The mean person has as many limbs as he can collect before the police catch up with him.

:golfclap:

Don Coyote

Quote from: LMNO on July 18, 2019, 03:26:31 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 18, 2019, 02:24:33 PM

:golfclap:

Bruno

Formerly something else...

altered

Hold on a minute here, I have a fucking TALE TO TELL YOU.

I'm ripping this from the email I wrote to a wonderful lady in Michigan who helps no-hopers like me find work, and asked me to keep her looped in after I got to Boston.

Ahem.

So! The precise moment I changed over all of my information to point to Boston on ZipRecruiter and Monster, I had recruiters doing the stalker heavy breathing thing over my shoulder. Literally, all over me like sand on a beach. I'm hardly exaggerating here: four job offers before I could even place a search, seven more after I finally got a search typed in.

I had between fifteen and twenty phone calls a day from recruiters, I could barely do so much as wash my hands without missing a call. In fact, I missed a call while in an interview, missed another call from the same person in that same interview, and missed five texts from the same person in the same interview. This interview took fifteen minutes.

From that initial 4, one in particular was a huge stretch. People in fancy suits and such turning up to apply, giant company doing outsourced direct marketing campaign work for Fortune 100 companies. Enter me, dressed in the usual hoodie, jeans, t-shirt, sweating like a pig, lugging two giant bags like a hobo, panting like a dog. Minimal work history in an old, old field. No qualifications at all.

Absolutely ridiculous that I'd even bother wasting their time, yeah? I mean, I was seeing other offers in the minimum wage range, doing cold lead sales and call center tech support. That's definitely my speed: low-level consumer-facing punishment-detail type work. This though? This is big time: folks with expensive suits purpose designed to intimidate the Morlocks of blue collar land, and cars that sound like they belong on a Formula One track and look like spaceships. People who fly out of the country twice a week and cannot imagine a bank account with less than five figures in it. (That would be "flat broke" to such rarified individuals.) This is way out of my league, right?

Not right. I got into the second round of interviews, which is 1% of the first round of interviews: I was in the top ten applicants. That's already crazy: all these rich Harvard kids fell below me on the pecking order. So I go in for the second round only slightly nicer (showered, dress shirt, only one bag). And apparently ace the interview hard.

So then they immediately rushed me through the third round of interviews, which is top five applicants out of over 1000 applicants. So five MORE rich Harvard/MIT students fall out of the running. And I'm still there. Finish that round, go home, and wait for the call.

Call comes up. First they ask me how I thought I did. By this point I'm getting a big ol' ego boost, so I tell them I think I did amazing, certainly better than the folks who didn't make it to all three rounds, right? She says yep, you're right, Brian and Garrett thought you did fantastic. Then the drumroll beings, here comes the reveal. And the winner is... well. Just, bear with me here:

I was in the top 2 or 3 applicants. Out of over 1000.
They recommended me for management fast track.
—Assuming I do the work, this means things like "having access to the company yacht" and "international business trips" inside of two months.
——That's two months like "late September". At the outside.
And finally...
Expectation is that I come in to start Monday. As in the day after the day after tomorrow. Probably just "the day after tomorrow" or "today" when you get this, depending on the day.

Well. Uh.

Boston!
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Al Qədic

Well Goddessdamn, Null, way to knock things outta the park! Hat's off to ya. :golfclap:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.