Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: Faust on July 29, 2019, 11:45:02 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on July 29, 2019, 11:41:59 PM

I keep logging in with the option "Forever", alas, forever only lasts till i reopen my browser.

ETERNITY REJECTS ME, REEEEEEE
Does your browser automatically clear cookies on closing? Do you need to allow one for here?

It's just a bad joke, nothing to worry about, thanks tho.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

First thought watching The Boys: why is Karl Urban so fucking good?

Seriously, I have never seen anything with him in that I haven't liked.

LMNO

I need to resume watching this.  For whatever, I think I've only gotten through the first 1 or 2 episodes.

[edit] The demise of Translucent was the last one I saw.

Cain

I'm on a binge, so I just breezed onto episode 4 now.

Not familiar with the source material, aside the basic premise and author, but I'm probably better off that way.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2019, 08:48:55 PM

Not familiar with the source material, aside the basic premise and author, but I'm probably better off that way.

Wait.  Isn't the Boys a Garth Ennis thing?
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 01, 2019, 09:56:55 PM

That's the one.

From what I understand, the TV series is a bit toned down from the comics.  Which given so far I have seen someone explode, someone have their skull crushed during sex, someone die from C4 in the rectum, several people disembowled and a dolphin get run over, is probably saying something.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2019, 10:00:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 01, 2019, 09:56:55 PM

That's the one.

From what I understand, the TV series is a bit toned down from the comics.  Which given so far I have seen someone explode, someone have their skull crushed during sex, someone die from C4 in the rectum, several people disembowled and a dolphin get run over, is probably saying something.

You would really HAVE to tone down the books.  :lol:

They're funny in a "traumatized for life" kinda way.
Molon Lube

Cain

I have to admit, I laughed maybe just a little too much at the dolphin scene.

Faust

I think if you havent read the source material it is more accessible.
I found it hard to get into the same way I found preacher hard to get into, it had to be toned back and there are some things I expect will not be in the show (x-men as a pedo cult), it's because the sense of humour is changed slightly, Seth Rogan has his own style (which I do like) but its not as mean spirited as Garth Ennis sense of humour
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Taken as is and ignoring the comic, it's not bad. Whoever did the casting clearly did their homework.

The bad is how much is clearly going to be changed/different. Literally every key players backstory is significantly changed. This works out well in some cases but it's also a massive shift of certain plot points, particularly some big ones. There's a bunch of reveals that aren't even possible now. I was kind of hoping they'd be more full on with it but I guess it either wouldn't have been made or the marvel and Disney lawyers induced mortal terror.

A solid 7, better pacing than preacher but it's very much it's  own thing with borrowed ideas.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Trivial

I couldn't get into the comic because it seemed like they were going for a gross award.  The show gives you why the gross is there early enough to not turn me away.  I'm liking it so far.

Been years though since I read the comic though.  Might check it out again.

Also, I may have laughed too much at the dolphin scene as well. That's also the last episode I saw.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Holy crap, so was checking on a childhood friend, mostly to see if he was alive because he had cancer when we were kids and he's a creative director at HBO. 

Whatever that means.

Pretty awesome addition to the whole still being alive thing.

altered

Creative director is the FUN job in media. You get to transform anything you get assigned into your own particular personal vision.

Okay, that's an exaggeration. That's only a really slight exaggeration, though.

See, you're expected to be good at making things marketable and popular, so if you're no good at that, people might decide you don't get to be a creative director anymore.

But so long as you can't be clearly blamed for failures, you get a cushy gig telling other people how to make things your way.

I'm fucking jealous.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Trivial

Holy shitballs that's awesome. 

He must be fairly good, been there since 2006.

Cramulus

It's a few weeks old, but I wanted to share a story from my girlfriend's workplace, an elementary school.

We all know that on the last day of the D.A.R.E. program, everybody gets T-shirts they wear ironically when they inevitably start smoking pot in their teens.

This year, on the last day of school, the DARE officers handed out blue lives matter shirts.

As the day was ending, a teacher pulled the principal aside and said "You know... I don't feel remotely comfortable sending black kids home with Blue Lives Matter t-shirts, what's the deal with this?"

the Principal was like WHAT??? --- she had no idea about the shirts

so the principal RAN out to the busses, where the kids were boarding, and personally yanked all of the t-shirts out of their hands.

SORRY NOT SORRY